Game Dev Super Group Finally Announces Game

By Nathan Grayson on March 14th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

I hope they end up calling it Firewatch: Origins

Campo Santo is a new studio made up of top tier talent from – DEEP BREATH – Double Fine, Klei, Telltale, and 2K Marin. OK, that didn’t require much air to say out loud at all and I can type without breathing for probably, like, hours, but you get the idea. With the powers of Mark of the Ninja lead Nels Anderson, Walking Dead: Season One leads Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin, ex-Irrational and Double Fine man Chris Remo, and artist Olly Moss (among others) combined, we get a story-based mystery about isolation, the creeping unknown, and human relationships set in… rural Wyoming. Huh. It’s called Firewatch, and it seems interesting. I think. Also incredibly orange. Scant first details below.

What is a Firewatch and who watches the Firewatchmen? Well, it’s a first-person story game about these things:

“In Firewatch you play as a man named Henry who has retreated from his messy life to work as a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness. Perched high atop a mountain, it’s your job to look for smoke and keep the wilderness safe. An especially hot and dry summer has everyone on edge. Your supervisor, a woman named Delilah, is available to you at all times over a small, handheld radio – and is your only contact with the world you’ve left behind.”

“But when something strange draws you out of your lookout tower and into the world, you’ll explore a wild and unknown environment, facing questions and making interpersonal choices that can build or destroy the only meaningful relationship you have.”

It has markedly fewer Ninjas named Mark than I was hoping for, but I’m intrigued otherwise. For now, Campo Santo is mostly teasing (also, it’s a mystery, so giving away too much probably wouldn’t be the best idea), but I’ll be finding out more at GDC next week.

The information provided thus far and general tone, however, have me hearkening back to games like Alan Wake and Kentucky Route Zero. I have no idea how much like those triumphs of surreality Firewatch will actually be, but I’m pretty keen to find out.

Campo Santo is hoping to stick a fork in Firewatch’s mighty meatloaf of influences in 2015. In the meantime, however, there’s always Duncan Fyfe’s delightful Quarterly Reviews. They have almost nothing to do with anything, but they don’t really need to because they’re better than most everything. Yes, I know that was confusing. Read and all will become clear.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

I’ve always wanted to play a game where sasquatch was the antagonist. Looks like that dream is finally going to be realised.

2. Dorga says:

Well, nice name: “Campo Santo” is one of the italian words for “cemetery” :D

3. LunyAlex says:

WHYYYYYY, WHYYYYYYY, WHYYYYYYYYYYY, Delilahhhhhh?!

4. Catweasel says:

All of Wyoming is rural Wyoming.

5. Lexx87 says:

I want more KRZ!

6. Skeletor68 says:

Looking forward to many Idle Thumbs references.

7. DrLeoWollman says:

The single press quote on the lower right of the Campo Santo Blog is taken from Rock, Paper, Shotgun comments.

8. Cinek says:

Had a friend working as a firewatchmen – even been on his tower for a few hours. Incredibly boring work. Most of the smoke you see is from houses. And well… generally: there’s nothing to do. Dream work for people who like loneliness and/or reading books.

Spring is most frustrating time of the year, because people burn grass on fields and there’s always this uncertainty if it’s just a grass or forest starts to burn.

But other than that – it’s somewhere near the top of most stupid ideas for a game. Even goat makes a more interesting topic.

Oh, and by the way:
    ^ That’s not permitted. No matter how strange that thing is – guy isn’t allowed to go down from his post. You don’t report back when asked through the radio – you are kicked out of the job.

SPOILERS:
    Your supervisor, a woman named Delilah,(…) making interpersonal choices that can build or destroy the only meaningful relationship you have
    - so… in the light of facts it seems that you are presented with just one choice: go down or not. If you stay – you win. If you go down – you destroy your relationship with Delilah – game over.

So there we go – I just saved you all hours of staring at trees and few bucks spent on a game.

• Eight Rooks says:

Hey! I always wanted to do the “You must be a blast at parties!” thing! Thanks, guy!

Really, though, anyone who actually in all seriousness looks at the plot of any piece of fiction in any creative media (or, hell, auto/biographies too, in some cases) and says BUT THAT WOULD BE AGAINST THE RULES, just… go away, please. You’re hurting my brain.

On topic, idea seems like a good one, and the game’s certainly going on my radar. If these devs could make the forest as frightening as Alan Wake (for all its silliness I loved that game’s setting) that would be awesome, thanks.

• Cinek says:

Didn’t get a joke :( Brain hurt.

• SillyWizard says:

Your original post was not presented the slightest bit in a joking manner. Please learn to use irony properly before making fun of someone for taking your po-faced post at face value.

• AngelTear says:

I also heard that guns can’t open spatial portals. if you try, you’re just gonna hit your face against the wall.
        There, I saved you from playing, not one but two games, as well as a lot of pain and the cost of surgery for a new nose.

In my free time I also like to judge how a plot cannot possibly be any good based on two lines of presentation.

• zain3000 says:

And we salute you, good sir. Consider it your good deed for the day.

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

Wish I could get coverage with just a single image that has no relation to the actual game. I’m jelly. I’m also looking forward to finding out something about this game.

10. rikvanoostende says:

Dear Delilah. I sometimes feel as if I’ve given birth to this forest. Somewhere, between the longitude and latitude a split opened up and it ended up remotely here. No matter how hard I correlate, it remains a singularity, an alpha point in my life that refuses all hypothesis. I return each time leaving fresh markers that I hope, in the full glare of my hopelessness, will have blossomed into fresh insight in the interim.

11. ThricebornPhoenix says:

I was hooked at “incredibly orange”.

12. DanMan says:

I find that company sexist, for not employing any females. I’m thoroughly offended.

• ja2ke says:

I know that comment was worded in jest, but you must know Jane Ng, our 3D artist! You should though – she was the lead environment artist on The Cave and worked on Brutal Legend, Stacking, etc at Double Fine.

13. BobsLawnService says:

Sounds a bit too much like pretentious twatwaddle for my liking.

• SillyWizard says:

Pretentious Twatwaddle. Now that’s a game I would play!

• The Random One says:

It’d be a steampunk mystery story starring a Poirot-like detective with incongruous action sequences when Sir Twatwaddle slips on a banana peel and rolls down Nondon’s alleyways. David Malki! co-writes.

14. Delicieuxz says:

A bunch of middle-ware (decent games, not iconic) developers does not make for a super-group.

Comment on this story