Kodama Asks For Some Kindness

British indie Dan “Tsukasa” Elvins has launched a Kickstarter for “a 2D hand painted, physics based Platformer set in Japans Genroku Period”. What that means is he’s creating a deeply pretty side-scroller called Kodama. The game features a vegetable protagonist, who has to balance water and sunlight uptake in the way in which he deals with puzzles, as well as respecting Shinto customs. Elvins asks: “Have you ever wanted to relax with a Kappa or play drums with a Tanuki?” Well, I actually haven’t, but I know a few Japanophiles who would. See more of the pitch below.

Pretty, no? He’s not asking for all that much, either.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Keyrock says:

Color me interested, I love me some puzzle platforming, vegetable based or otherwise.

Lars Westergren says:

Kodama onegaishimasu.

Lovely artstyle and I really like the unobtrusive UI idea, but I think platforms as stretch goals can be a bit problematic. If I only play on PC, why would I up my pledge if they are getting close to the xbox/playstation goal? And as they themselves point out, the platform owners could theoretically block them from a release.

3. kwyjibo says:

A 2D physics platformer?

I don’t think anyone is crying out for more of those.

• jorygriffis says:

You’re right–as a genre, I’d say their fate is really in limbo.

draglikepull says:

I don’t think it’s very nice to upBraid people who enjoy them.

SuddenSight says:

A good entry could really knytt the community back together though.

• mr.black says:

As long as the bickering doesn’t bring you Twisted dreams.
            I hope the developer doesn’t Dustill the experience to stuPid gimmicks!

• Keyrock says:

/cries out for more 2D physics platformers

• Dan_Tsukasa says:

Hey kwyjibo.

First, thanks for the feedback.

I understand that the market, especially the indie market, is saturated with 2d platformers, however very few of these are physics based, LIMBO is 1 example, and there are 2 others I can’t recall the names of right now, but if you know many other please let me know, I was of the understanding that there aren’t many Physics Platformers, so I’d love to hear about the ones I missed. That isn’t intended as a type of sarcasm at all, I really am interesting in if I missed a large number of games, because mistakes do happen afterall.

• kwyjibo says:

The ones that came to mind instantly were Limbo and As Yet it Moves, they’re the most physics-y.

But a physics platformer is just a standard platformer. Yoshi’s Island is a physics platformer.

This was my thought while skimming the article. Cool artwork, interesting premise. Then I spot the Physics Platformer, and instantly think of Darius Kazemi’s Fuck Videogames. link to tinysubversions.com

Kentucky Route Zero (who also Kickstarted) actually started out as a platformer. Then they realised that platforming has nothing to offer the story that they wanted to tell.

• Dan_Tsukasa says:

I’ve not played ‘As Yet it Moves’, I hear its quite good though, the art style is interesting, there is of course LIMBO without a doubt.

A physics platformer in regards to Limbo or Kodama is not the same as a standard platformer however, the way you move and solve puzzles is entirely different. For what I want, I feel a 2D Platformer is best, I can think of now other genre where the premise would fit better, of course I’m not a genius so it is likely that there’s something I’m yet to consider, its like that with everything. If you had a suggestion I’d love to hear it, afterall the gamers are important to the resulting game, a game without gamers needent exist.

• Shadowcat says:

Some 2D physics platformers which spring to mind are:

Trine & Trine 2
        NyxQuest
        Gish
        Gumboy Crazy Adventures
        Rochard
        Exile
        Vessel (?)
        Capsized (?)

4. Memphis-Ahn says:

Why the Genroku period, exactly?

• Dan_Tsukasa says:

Ah, because for me it represents a time when Japan had some fantastic artistic progression, the movement in art from then is called ‘Genroku bunka’ and its quite well known