That’s Some Fine Mining: Limit Theory

By Craig Pearson on March 18th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

A bunch of the RPS posse are hitting up GDC, so the remaining blog squad coaxed me into the Forbidden Chatroom Of Mystery 2.0 as cover. They did so by tying my favourite piece of string to a string and dragging it along the floor, trapping me at the CMS and threatening to give me a paper cut. I am making the most of it by watching the latest Limit Theory dev update, and being gently lulled by Josh Parnell’s relaxing manner. Nothing in the world is bad when I can watch an open-world space game come together in blindingly pretty monthly lumps. It’s a good one as well, because it’s probably the first time we get to see what the game will be like to play.

First up is a reworking of the scanner tech from the previous episode: it was pretty, but I actually agree that the functionality was confusing. Josh has spent the month rebuilding it, uncurling it from a radial menu in the middle of the screen, and creating a spectral analyser along the bottom of the screen that peaks according to what’s in your view. It’s much more functional, easily enabling you to recognise multiple peaks immediately.

That ties into the mining: ores can be spotted more easily, and after finding them you fire drones directly into the asteroid surface. They’ll report on the density of the ore, and tell you what percentage of it is near the surface. Multiple drones fired into the asteroid will enable you to triangulate thick veins of ore.

And here’s how it looks.

Still no release date, but I want it now.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. ironman Tetsuo says:

Do you think once LT development is complete we could persuade Josh Parnell to narrate some audio books? I could listen to his voice forever!

1. BTAxis says:

Let’s hear it for Limit Theory. I’ve no trouble being patient for it, because following the development updates is a pleasure in itself.

2. Stardreamer says:

Limit Theory ROCKS.

Geddit? Asteroids? Ice-eroids? ROCKS? ….Okay. Tough crowd.

I am an unabashed Josh Parnell evangelist. I was waffling here about him only yesterday (new dev logs round-up article). While I think Elite Dangerous may be the game I’ve been awaiting my entire life (LT is a very close second), Josh is doing a far better job communicating his progress. Braben’s kind of fallen by the wayside with his video updates, which is a shame and a frustration in equal measure.

This was a great video. They’re all great videos. Everything is Awesome. I love you, Josh!!!

3. LunyAlex says:

This guy is a master of visual design. The lighting, UI, universe look mindblowingly good. Like… Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous have me hyped but no pieces of footage have baffled me anywhere near as much as Limit Theory’s Dev Blogs.

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

When the ship fly close by the ice fragment and the sun diffuses through it my brain simply melted from joy.

Elite:D may be the end of the quest to build my perfect game but Limit Theory is a wonderful thing to watch being built.

5. derbefrier says:

Looks pretty

6. KillahMate says:

That is some nice ice.

The scanner update is also excellent; it addressed all the issues I’ve had with it.

7. Blackcompany says:

So very looking forward to this. Take your time, good sir…this looks fantastic and kudos for not just rushing it out to Early Access long before its ready.

8. SuicideKing says:

This game looks like it’s really coming together well, at least visually. Josh is doing brilliant stuff. Will buy it on launch day regardless of whether Elite or SC are out by then (most likely neither will be), just out of pure respect for Josh’s skill.

Having said that, shouldn’t the scanner pick up a very wide band of frequencies of radiation from the star?

9. ironman Tetsuo says:

10. PsychoWedge says:

I can’t wait to play it and I still very, very much hope they have enough money to be able to finish and polish it as much as they want. Even if that means I have to wait for years to come… xD

11. drinniol says:

This man is a wizard. I’m sure of it.

Comment on this story