Deep Breaths: Here’s An Ether One Launch Trailer

By Craig Pearson on March 19th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Oh, those sneaky monkeys. First-person adventure Ether One hasn’t quite launched on its journey to the centre of a dementia damaged mind, but they’ve released a launch trailer anyway. That’s a good week before the game is out. I’ll allow this: they’ve just added the review version to my Steam account, so it’s technically out there, and I am the most important person in the world. It also helps that the brief play I had of the game very encouraging. View the trailer with with working eyes below.

The game is set in the brain of a dementia patient. You’re a restorer, sent into a virtual world that represents the patient’s memories. The broken world could represent a messed-up memory of a work of art, or a something more meaningful and deeper. They are handily augmented with puzzles, because if you weren’t in there to do something about the mess then it wouldn’t be much of a game. There are decisions to make, allowing you to experience the world at your own pace and depth. You don’t need to solve all the puzzles you come across, but the more you do the better for the patient. It’s like the reverse of Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

I’ve had about 20 minutes with it, just checking that it launched alright, but the opening moments were assured and stylish. I’ll almost certainly go back when I have some time, and you can join after March 25th.

, , .

Top comments

1. Darth Gangrel says:

“View the trailer with with working eyes below” My working eyes spot a typo or rather a word written twice!

1. satan says:

‘the reverse of Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.’

temporary… darkness of the… filthy body?

2. luukdeman111 says:

Does this dev team by any chance have any ex-irrational guys/gals in it? The trailer really gave me an extremely Bioshocky vibe… Looks interesting though

• The Random One says:

Must be the ‘realistic but not quite so’ aesthetic.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

4. gritz says:

I’ve been following this one for months and I’m super excited. First person exploration with trippy effects?

Pretty much my entire wheelhouse.

lhzr says:

>>> First person exploration with trippy effects?

Yeah, I also dig this sort of thing. A thing at which I’d say Proteus is the best. There’s also TRIP and Dream, in case you’re looking for more of this kinda stuff.

Ether one seems to be more of an adventure game than an exploration one, though. Which could be cool, but the puzzles look a bit too Mist-y. Hopefully there’ll be an easy mode which will turn the flip-levers-for-half-an-hour puzzles into the, equally bad, but much less tedious, flip-the-only-lever kind (I don’t like calling pushing the button to open the door a puzzle, but since pretty much every game reviewer ever does it, well..)

You can check it out TRIP here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93263157
      and Dream: http://store.steampowered.com/app/229580/ , which is in early access now.

5. AngryBadger says:

Looking forward to playing this especially for the Oculus Rift support. Seems like a fantastic game to be played in the immersion of VR.