Call Me Anytime: Echo Of The Wilds

By Adam Smith on March 19th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

WHAT IS THAT SHAPE IN THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER? THIS GAME IS NOT AS TRANQUIL AS YOU THOUGHT

I was less than thirty seconds into the trailer for Echo Of The Wilds when a quivering sense of outrage overcame me. The scenes in the trailer alternate between mysterious, peaceful, beautiful and spooky, and it was the combination of these things gathered together that caused me to flip the desk over, bellow an obscenity and snap a pencil in two.

The source of my fury was obvious – why the hell has nobody told me about Echo Of The Wilds before now? I was sure that a search of the archives would reveal that John or Graham had already have nodded in its direction approvingly. Not so. Well, take a bloody good look because it’s a gorgeous and mysterious wilderness survival adventure and it’s OUT NOW WITH A DEMO AND EVERYTHING, FER CRYIN’ OUT LOUD.

I appreciate that the visual style (grafix) may not be to everyone’s taste but it’s a damn fine example of its type. And listen to this!

Finding yourself in mysterious forests you must unfurl a spiritual tale of solace before the unending winter consumes all. There a spirit guide will help you learn the skills of survival and the secrets of the wilds: why you awakened there, their purpose, and how to finally be free from its clutches and malevolent apparitions.

The gameplay focuses on exploration and survival of the randomised wilds. Gathering resources to build gear and sustain yourself, learning new skills and the intertwining interactions between the various areas, seasons, and weather. The game includes 22 areas to discover and 157 items, including food, resources, tools, clothes, gear and furniture. There’s also an ‘Endless’ game mode which removes all narrative to focus on simply surviving through the ever fiercer ages.

It sounds like Terraria or Starbound made for me instead of people who like mining tiny squares for hours and hours and hours. The website should just say ‘Terraria for cool dudes – Adam Smith, 2014′. Or perhaps you’d prefer ‘Terraria for pixel-hipsters – Adam Smith, 2014 (wishes it were 1991 LOL)’. Either way, I intend to download it immediately and bury my face in a fishing pond until things get weird.

Go vote on Greenlight.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. zdeno84 says:

same with me, just learned about this game yesterday and am eagerly waiting for any kind of ‘impressions’ or even full blown review to make my decision if to invest in it. Would be great if you let us know how was your time with the game Adam? Any further post is much appreciated.

2. msing says:

The antler-man sure reminds me of Hannibal…

3. Amun says:

Antler men coming out of the static on a TV.

I’m never playing it.

Gap Gen says:

THIRST QUENCHED, BLOOD

But yes this looks highly intriguing.

• SillyWizard says:

Thirst quenched my foot. Guy wanders into the middle of a stream and starts gulping that shit down? HAVEN’T YOU EVER HEARD OF GIARDIA?!

5. edgymirrors says:

Absolutely gorgeous game. Please let us know if it plays as good as it looks, sir!

6. PopeRatzo says:

I didn’t notice glitches in South Park Stick of Truth. I figured the bits about the tutorial being different from the actual gameplay were just part of the joke.

From what I can tell, and I’m about 25 hours in, everything in the game works.

Saul says:

WOW. I totally get your bewilderment that you haven’t heard about this before now, Adam. I’m shocked that no-one’s told ME about it yet, and I don’t have the advantage international games site behemoth drawing all the moths to my benevolent flame.

It looks incredible. If it’s actually as incredible as it looks, it could be one of the greatest things ever. Here’s hoping.

• guygodbois00 says:

International games site behemoth? RPS? I consider RPS rung above underdog – exactly my preference.
      Trailer looks good enough to warrant a demo download … in 3,2,1, now.

8. FFabian says:

The demo for OSX seems broken. I get an error telling me the app is damaged and should be moved to the Trash. Anyone else with this problem? Ideas?

• TheBlackBandit says:

Ah, this is a pretty easily solvable thing because they don’t have the application signed by apple. You have to go to system preferences, then security, then the general tab, and set Allow All Applications to the default.

• FFabian says:

Thanks, that did it. I tried starting it with right click “open” from finder to circumvent Gatekeeper before posting but apparently I had to turn it off completely.

Klydefrog says:

I kickstarted this and kept meaning to email you guys about it but didn’t. So I guess you can all blame me. It is a lovely thing though.

10. DarkFarmer says:

the alternation between disparate worlds reminds me a little bit of Yumei Nikki, which is kind of almost insta buy

11. Flank Sinatra says:

Man, it seems like every day there’s a new unfinished wilderness survival crafting game looking for my backing and support. I’m still addicted to Don’t Starve, but I really wanna check this game out. It looks like it has an interesting story.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

If a game takes place in the woods, and RPS doesn’t cover it, does it get played?

13. alms says:

I am a mindless alms unit with no will of my own and I hereby announce my upvoting on GL as commanded by my master & commander Adam Smith the Cool Hipster Pixel guy wishes-it’s-1991-LOL.

Seriously though, anyone who thinks that doesn’t look good needs to have their taste replaced with a working one ASAP.

14. someloser says:

Voted for it, bought it, played it instead of sleeping.

15. pawelschr says:

Great stuff! It’s as if Icepick Lodge tried to make Superbrothers, but came up with Don’t Starve instead. Love it so far. One question, though – how do you save the game? Whenever I exit a game and restart, the day count goes up, but the progress I made is lost.

• Askis says:

Scout around until you find the river, then look for something shiny ;)