A Game And A Chat: RPS BFF GDC Ultra Force Go, Day Two

By Nathan Grayson on March 19th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

The GDC War Train of Impossible Enrichment trundles on, and RPS is on the scene with gusto, aplomb, and a stuffed lion. Each day this week, I’ll be gathering impromptu panels of colossal brains inside frail (but very handsome) human bodies to dissect the show piece-by-piece. Yesterday, John, Cara, Hayden, and I did so by crawling into bed and talking about our socks. Also games. But day two was different. John fell to exhaustion, and Cara was carried away by a throng of adoring fans, presumably to be worshipped and then made into soup. Fortunately I was able to drag Gunpoint creator Tom Francis, writer and camera whisperer Nika Harper, and Incredipede creator Colin Northway over forests, woods, hills, and plains to fill their not-shoes.

And then we discussed EVERYTHING – including former Civilization IV dev Soren Johnson’s Mars strategy game, awkward press events, Paradox’s Pillars of Eternity publishing deal, time travel, harassment and silencing on the Internet, and more. Tune in below.

More tomorrow, if all goes well.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. Groove says:

I like the panel and started watching this a few hours ago when it came up on youtube, but I had to stop after 5 minutes because I couldn’t make out the audio without putting the volume at a mad level. Sad face.

I’m hoping that higher quality speakers on my proper pc will help, but please sort the background noise issues next time!

• rampofdeath says:

Same here unfortunately: what I could make out was interesting but there’s a constant background white-noisey interference, maybe it’s just the location, surely a sign that all future GDC interviews be recorded abed.

• MaXimillion says:

Yeah, the sound levels are pretty terrible, even worse than yesterday’s video :(

Also, it’s kinda sad to see a bunch of games journalists discussing time travel without mentioning Achron.

• Muzman says:

Speakers will not help you. You need headphones.

I don’t think it’s the aircon either. I think it’s the laptop fan gradually cranking up under the strain of processing video..

• citrusninja says:

I believe if Nathan (or whoever set up the recording) invested in a microphone that you could place in the middle of the table, away from the computer, you would get better audio quality.

[Edit: and also, more of this sort of thing, I enjoy video journalism just as much as your writing!]

2. Perlmuxxed says:

OT: There is an autoplay Titanfall video add on the right side. And if you open multiple tabs it goes wonkers. Annoying as f.

3. amateurviking says:

Tom ‘Tom Francis’ Francis does not look very impressed with Nathan’s jazz hands in the header image. Not very impressed at all.

4. blobb says:

What an irritating video. I stopped watching after 2 minutes.

• Lexx87 says:

My name is blobb.

I don’t like to see people having any fun.

I want boring videos filled wit boring people.

• iainl says:

The people are lovely. The lousy mic that’s more interested in picking up the air conditioning than anyone’s voice? Less so.

• edwardoka says:

My name is Lexx87. In my spare time I like tilting at windmills!

5. SillyWizard says:

When did video game people get so hip?

6. Aerothorn says:

Without repeating any of the previous criticisms of this article (which I agree with) there’s the additional layer of irony that Greyson doesn’t have a great track record for apologizing himself (when he makes an error in reporting, or does something like this).

7. Edgar the Peaceful says:

I skimmed through it because I find Nika a little difficult to listen to (cf. Crate and Crowbar ep 18). Tom F looked uncomfortable throughout and I couldn’t hear him, which is a shame because he’s a very erudite chap.

I want my money back. Oh.

• ColCol says:

Just curious, what’s your problem with Harper?

• Smoof says:

She’s incredibly obnoxious. When she was last on C&C (Maybe she’s been on recently, but I’m about four episodes behind), I almost shut it off, because of the irritating laugh and overeagerness to talk over everyone and be the center of attention.

• Low Life says:

Huh, I don’t remember anything like that. I do remember that episode, though, as they a) got particularly drunk and b) answered my question (!1!).

• Fiyenyaa says:

I really enjoy that episode. I think Nika is a person who has a lot of enthusiasm – I guess people who want their videogame-people-personalities to be dripping with cynicism might find her too much, but personally I enjoy people who seem to enjoy what they do and what they talk about.

• Caerphoto says:

Having just listened to that episode, I didn’t hear any “overeagerness to talk over everyone and be the center of attention”, just, as Fiyenyaa said, a lot of enthusiasm. I’ve watched a few of her videos on YouTube and really don’t like them, as she comes across as rather … unnatural, like she’s putting on a ‘TV presenter’ act with fake enthusiasm and weird sing-songy tonality. But, on the podcast she sounds far more relaxed and natural, and actually quite likeable.

• Josh W says:

I quite liked her, there was a bit where she was a bit self absorbed and “me and the camera” for about 5 minutes in the middle of the video, but for the rest of the time she was just a nice loud person, a little emotion-dramatising, but actually interested in what other people were saying, honestly enjoying their stuff.

I’m sure if that had gone on longer, the quieter people like Tom would have had more chance to speak, like any random pub talk thing.

8. piedpiper says:

Nika is pretty.

9. Universal Quitter says:

What’s Capt. Price doing at the GDC?

10. ColCol says:

Hey,they guy from Spelunky escaped his game.

11. Megakoresh says:

There’s too much clutter in the video, can you please not put any unnecessary elements into the frame (people, table, sound). That moustache is the only thing people care about anyway.

12. JR says:

Nathan, the fact that you are currently wearing a Streetlight Manifesto t-shirt now makes you the greatest games journalist on RPS. Perhaps even the world.

13. Philopoemen says:

No offence intended, but what I got from this was that GDC is great for catching up with people who move in the same circles (it is a conference), and talks by people the attendees aren’t bothered to learn the names of, which I sort of thought was poor form for journos. That said, alcoh..err..root beer.

For some reason the Indie Soapbox round-up bit by Nika Harper annoyed me. Probably because the topics mentioned seemed to be self-congratulatory back-patting at surviving Life. I don’t expect game devs to be particularly tough people, but I do expect them to be not as soft as Nika’s making them sound.

14. altum videtur says:

Hmm… this episode seemed to not have the best sound quality. I had trouble understanding some of what’s been said, unlike previous.

PS I seriously hope they get Chris “Adonis” Avellone on one of these little talks. I could just keep staring at him forev… Imean he always has some really interesting things to say about things. Yeah thats it.
    Those strong arms…

• SillyWizard says:

Oh my, and those eyes…they manage to be piercing and baby-blue simultaneously.

Rawr!

• Eddy9000 says:

Perhaps he could appear with Jake Solomon, for added beefcake.

15. Noburu says:

Something something something this was horrible.

There got that out of the way. It honestly was a bit hard to view/listen to, BUT THATS OK at least RPS is trying to do something besides straight text articles.

I dont particularly care for it, but that someone else might not enjoy it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FLUFFY AFRO REPORTER!

16. unit 3000-21 says:

Is that Jeff Lynne?

17. bill says:

I’m slowly being won over by these newfangled video and streaming things. But if you guys are gonna do it properly, you need to invest in some decent mics and tech. You can claim it back on expenses/tax.

It’s interesting to see that video games conferences are basically like all other conferences – an excuse to get together with mates/contacts and catch up and drink.

Though you guys all seemed rather hyper and excited (ie: drunk) for people on root beer.*

* root beer is non alcoholic, right? Don’t think we have it in the UK. Is it made from roots?

18. taristo says:

A carpet bombing with napalm of everything inside this room would have improved this video.