Stalker’s Misery Modders Open The Book On The Seed

By Craig Pearson on March 19th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

I take great delight in watching developers flick through game genres, poking their elbows into the next seat of the comfort zone and seeing if there’s room. The guys behind the Misery Mod for Stalker: Call Of Pripyat are doing just that, taking all they’ve learned from turning CoP into a grimier hell and squeezing it inside a completely different shape. The Seed will be a post-apocalyptic interactive novel, and I bet you weren’t expecting that. It’s just popped up on Kickstarter.

Over 400,000 stalkers have downloaded Misery Mod, which means there’s a healthy number of people aware of what the developers are capable of. Though there’s a familiar setting and theme, the novel approach is, well, novel:

Imagine you are one of the last surviving members of the human race. After all your family and friends were lost in the struggle with an invisible foe, it is solely up to you to slowly crawl back from the depths of hell, against all odds. In 2026, 11 years after the global apocalypse our Russian protagonist – played by you – is forced to abandon his underground shelter for the very first time after the disaster, beginning the journey that will change his life forever. Prepare for a world of pain and struggle in this single player story-driven interactive story game with rich plot branching and moral dilemmas. Let the plot unfold according to your mental focus and your survival priorities.

The Kickstarter is for the first act, and it promises persistence across all your choices as you pick plot points, choose character traits, and hunt for one of the fifty endings. The novel will have dynamic weather (I’ve never written that before), moral choices, and crafting. You can’t do that with a Chuck Palahniuk book*.

*But you can read it and enjoy the words, so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. I hope words am good in that there interactive paper book.

, , .

1. Strangeblades says:

I am eager for this game. Please to make. Make now.

2. TheRaptorFence says:

Anything STALKER related gets attention in my book. Anything Misery or LURK related will instantaneously get my money. Best comprehensive mods out there of any game IMO. They (along with Complete, Oblivion Lost, etc.) are what made the STALKER series into the greatest post-apocalyptic games of the 2000′s.

Jiskra says:

Yes please ! Make this happen.
    I would love STALKER game that is not MMO…

4. Keyrock says:

While I appreciate the work that went into the Misery Mod and I thought some of the changes were great, some of the changes ruined the game IMHO. I get making the game harder and more realistic for immersion, but some of the changes simply made the game more tedious. Also, having to headshot a human 3 or 4 times with a Dragunov is not realism, I don’t care what kind of helmet he is wearing.

Still, best of luck to them. I hope this happens and I hope it’s good.

5. altum videtur says:

Probably gonna steer clear of it. There’s an inordinate amount of Zone-fiction (I suppose Roadside Picnic has piqued the curiosity of many many people) out there and the vast majority is obviously crud. See no reason why this one ought to be different. Also I hated the mod, so there’s that. Wish I could genuinely wish them success, but that is sort of a moot point now.

Don Reba says:

Best of luck to these good people!

7. Fanbuoy says:

Was there any original writing in the Misery mod? I’d be hesitant to back what is described as an interactive novel if I didn’t know whether the developers were good at writing. I also think that scheduling the apocalypse for next year might be a bit soon. Sure, the estimated release is September this year, but projected release dates on Kickstarter tend to be optimistic.

Anyway, best of luck to them!

Oozo says:

Yeah, the writing being sub-par is a risk you take.

On the other hand, I am willing to chip in just to see where they take it. The thing about dynamic weather, for example, sounds exciting. I always thought that interactive fiction could head into an interesting direction by including more systemic elements, and this sounds just like they are willing to experiment with that. I am willing to support that.

8. buzzmong says:

Hmm, considering Misery Mod isn’t actually very good in my eyes, I think I’ll avoid this. It does some good things, but there’s far too much degredation of items going on for the increase in difficulty, harshness of economy and general pain involved.

That said, I’ve noticed along with this they’ve released a full 2.1, with what looks like quite a few changes from the 2.1 beta I’m part way through. I’ll install it and see if it’s made an improvement.

9. Antistar says:

Considering what the Misery mod is like to play, I’d expect interactive fiction from the same team to be like a choose-your-own adventure book where *every* option requires you to roll a d20… and if you get anything other than a 20, you are killed instantly and have to start the book again.