Rolling Out Today: Drums Of War

By Adam Smith on March 20th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

The last time I mentioned hex-based tactic ‘em up Drums Of War, beta signups had opened. We now return to the heavily interactive and changeable battlefields as the game is released on the Slitherine store. Previous comment thread discussion focused on such noble instruments as the Alphorns of Animosity and Sousaphones of Siege, but twig_reads, an RPS commenter and transcriber of trees, refused to join in the the musical merriment and instead chipped in with, “This looks a bit like Battle For Wesnoth“. twig_reads is correct. The main difference, in my experience, is that open source Wesnoth doesn’t have the same focus on destructible map elements. There are so many campaigns and modules for BoW that it’s impossible to generalise, but Drums of War places a stronger emphasis on skirmishes, often won by timely use of unique abilities.

I can’t find a trailer but I do have a feature list. Pretend it has some swooshy cinematic scenes in the middle that tell you nothing about the game.

Immerse yourself in the world of Drums of War by playing through 2 full campaigns spanning 30 missions each.
Customize your army by training and equipping your troops as you see fit.
Use magic, special abilities, potions and legendary artefacts to aid allies and attack enemies.
Command or fight soldiers from 4 available races, each with their own classes and fighting styles.
Meet, ally and fight over 50 unique characters.
Use the environment to your advantage and alter the terrain to ensure victory.
Assault castles with siege ladders and catapults.
Create your own campaigns with the powerful campaign editor.
Challenge your friends or rivals in the hotseat multiplayer mode.

Drums Of Death, y’all. And, yes, I linked to that last time as well. I don’t know anything else about drums.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rustybroomhandle says:

Woaaaah, amazing swooshy cinematic swooshes! I lost hair just then.

2. Loyal_Viggo says:

Hmmm, a new Slitherine/Matrix offering…

Too bad their price range goes from ‘High to Absurd’.

Too bad they will almost certainly set a ridiculous price for their new WH40k game as well.

EDIT – I actually bothered to clink the link and lo and behold it appears the Slitherine site has been hacked as the price there is only $20. Quick! Before their accountant-driven pricing strategy is compromised somebody had better tell them they are being reasonable and they need to hike it up to at least $50-60!

3. Iain at Slitherine says:

No change is pricing policy, as always we price the games to maximize their revenue. This means prices ranging from a few $ to $100.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

I appreciate the clarification, Iain at Slitherine.

Long shot but would you deign to disclose the ETA and cost for the new WH40k game?

I need to know if I’ll have to remortgage my house to be able to buy it.

JiminyJickers says:

Looks good but having the resolution locked to 1024×768 is putting me off. Hopefully they will put a demo out to see if it isn’t too bad, but I’m not holding my breath.

5. XhomeB says:

What’s with Slitherine’s/Matrix’s reluctance to release their games on GOG? Some of their titles would be welcomed with open arms, including this one.

tormos says:

go on their forums to see aggressive (and moderator ignored) ad hominem attacks on anyone who dares to suggest releasing their games onto GOG or Steam. After all, the lesson of both of those platforms is that they sharply decrease sales, right?

• Loyal_Viggo says:

In a single word: ‘Greed’

SuddenSight says:

I have some sympathy with Slitherine’s reluctance to put up all their games on other sites. They embraced internet sales even before digital download was a thing, so they really have put a lot of effort into their online store-front.

But I must admit their policy of remaining separate leaves them a little behind in this modern, every store carries every game kind of world.

6. Everyone says:

This screams “iPad game” to me I’m afraid.

• Matzerath says:

I think you might have a very loose definition of what an ‘iPad game’ is.

• SillyWizard says:

Also, loose stools.

• Everyone says:

Surely the definition of “iPad Game” is fairly loose though?

Perhaps slightly more accurate: “it’s not the kind of game I would play on a PC, but would readily play on an iPad”.

7. Shadow says:

This does look a lot like Wesnoth.

Only less intricate, expansive and, well, a helluva lot less free. :/

8. Noburu says:

something something something looks like Battle for Wesnoth and wesnoth is better.

/commence flames

9. CoyoteTheClever says:

I bought it. Its actually quite a fun game so far. I did play Wesnoth, and yes, it does look similar in some ways. Nice find Adam!