A Game And A Chat: GDC BFFCast Day 4/#1ReasonToBe

By Nathan Grayson on March 21st, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Hello, roving pile of RPS readers. Have you seen GDC day three laying about? I appear to have misplaced it. Or perhaps I am Gabe Newell, and I simply willed the number three out of existence or at least ignored it until it got bored and went away. Regardless, we’ve returned in style for day four, by which I mean we gracelessly crammed as many interesting humans onto John’s hotel bed as possible. This time around guests include Ashly and Anthony Burch of Hey Ash Whatcha Playin/Borderlands/infinity other things fame, Towerfall creator Matt Thorson, ever-handsome journo/Maia writer Paul Dean, Harmonix vet and Fire Hose talky man Sean Baptiste, and more still. They join John, Hayden, and I to discuss GDC’s overwhelmingly powerful #1ReasonToBe panel, the equally impactful Lost Levels “unconference,” the creeping toll constant layoffs are taking on the gaming industry, the new Arrowhead-developed Gauntlet game, the absurdly delightful Night In The Woods, and tons more. This is quite an episode! Tune in below.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

Top comments

1. Duke of Chutney says:

Hurray its always a happy day when i see Paul in a bed.

1. Hanban says:

I really love these videos! <3

2. Hodge says:

Yeah, these have been great – variable audio quality notwithstanding, and it helps that each one’s featured one of my favourite gamesjourno people as a guest.

I vote that they continue in some form after GDC’s finished… everyone pile over to John’s house or something.

3. Tams80 says:

Wait… Paul Dean is the writer for Maia? How did I not know this?!

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah! I Spotted that a few months ago. Congrats paul! I can’t wait to get my hands in all these simulation games.

4. DanMan says:

MMMhhh… the smell must be delicious in there.

5. dangermouse76 says:

Great to watch the crew catching up. Love the writing here; but would absolutely love to see some more discussion vids and round up pieces like this. Just get some good mics. Email Giantbomb and ask them for their set up. Then pay someone to steal that gear for you.
    Don’t be put off by………….ah oh god a video no ! I only come here for words type people.

• bill says:

I am/was one of those people, though I’ve enjoyed this series and have lately even enjoyed some of the game streaming.

The thing is though, I (and many people) mainly consume RPS either at work* or on my smartphone on the way to/from work. Videos don’t work for this at all. (well, for those with LTE phones and long commutes they probably work, but on my slow old smartphone they sure don’t).

I’m warming to the idea of lovely videos, but I think they are better for playthroughs and informal chats. They are ok for interviews, as long as a transcript is provided for those of us who can’t access them.

There is also the fact that an interview that takes 1 minute to read, might take 10 minutes to watch.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Caption for photo at top:
    Nathan: Did you just say “smell the glove?”

7. Chris D says:

So..anybody else watch with their head lying on their desk, staring into Nathan’s eyes?

Er… no, me neither. I was asking for a friend.

8. Duke of Chutney says:

Hurray its always a happy day when i see Paul in a bed.

9. Alexian9 says:

Fantastic stuff. I enjoy these videos about GDC about as much as actually attending these events. It’s like a looking glass into all the stuff I’m missing there.

10. soulblur says:

Nathan: your hair is getting in the way of things. Interesting otherwise though.

11. Josh W says:

Well that was lovely. And it would be really cool if developers get on the social justice train, start organising things so as to welcome in a wider variety of people into development, etc. and if they actually unionised. I think once you start thinking about games development as a community that is attached to various companies, or as the industry being made out of developers in the group rather than organisational sense, then this kind of thing becomes really obvious.

One of the pragmatic problems of unionisation will have to deal with is the variety of possible roles, for whatever reason the film industry is much more segregated in it’s positions, whereas game development has a lot of nebulous middle positions, where you’re part programmer, part designer, part level designer etc. It’s certainly not insurmountable, but it’d mean that if it doesn’t unionise in a synchronised way, you could get a bit of “he’s not a games writer, he’s an environmental narrative designer, your writers rates do not apply here!”.

12. Tunips says:

Until this morning I had not seen an episode of HAWP. I have now seen all of it.
    The combination of mild surrealism, a theatrically adorable approach to zero-budget props and wholehearted commitment to absurdity remind me a lot of Shut Up and Sit Down. Which is alright in my book.
    Thanks, John Walker’s bed.

Comment on this story