Rounding Off: World Of Tanks Prettification

By Craig Pearson on March 21st, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Here’s an interesting aspect of long-term game development: if you build a game where you’re continually adding units across a number of years, you will see a marked difference in model quality between the first creations and the newer models. It can’t be helped. For some games that might not matter, but World of Tanks is about tanks and the people who love to pay for them, so it benefits Wargaming to ensure that those earlier models are returned to the high standards of the latterly built ones. That process has been captured in a video, and there’s a lot to be excited about if you care about polygon counts and the smoothness of tank barrels.

It’s really interesting stuff. There’s more to it than just tweaking the poly counts: they 3D scanned tanks and talked to historians about crew movement so they could accurately represent scuff marks. And for tanks that never existed, they used their knowledge of the nation’s armour, the time period it’s from, even information about what factory it was built in, to speculate as accurately as they possibly could.

Warning: it’s cheesier than a French fridge in a powercut.

I guess the video has done its job, because I am now redownloading World of Tanks.

, , .

1. Skiv says:

Yes yes so much yes and even more yes. That independent suspension. hnggggggg

2. Michael Fogg says:

Google ‘tanks gopro’ to see some not-so-pretty actual tank combat (for the curious).

3. RPSRSVP says:

Blueworld engine can’t deliver what Wargaming is aiming for, the sooner they realize that the better. Crytek and Epic have great deals for their engines…

Cinek says:

It’s Bigworld, not blueworld. And yea: it is garbage. I get higher FPS in WT than WoT even despite the fact that WT looks much better, got proper physics which weren’t an afterthought and much better consistency in pretty much everything (FPS, Ping, CPU usage, level of details, etc. etc.).

Engine-wise pretty much every competitor out there is MUCH better.

• RPSRSVP says:

Yes, don’t know why I said blue, maybe the color of their logo. WOT would have been a much better game if it had a competitor like WT from the very beginning.

• 0positivo says:

How weak the engine is is especially evident when looking at World of Warplanes. I really do hope for the good of the project they get some sense and get a better scaling engine for World of Warships

• Skiv says:

And yet they still claim that “because your FPS is weak, you have shitty PC: low FPS? Stop playing on your calculator. How terrible…”

• Jabberslops says:

I believe it has been stated at least a handful of times that WoT is not yet multithreaded to take advantage of multi-core CPUs. So a fast Single core CPU could likely perform better in WoT than a Slow Dual/Quad Core CPU.

• SuicideKing says:

Except Arma 3′s Real Virtuality 4, in terms of performance and basic things like terrain warping, it’s possibly the crappiest modern engine there is.

4. BlackeyeVuk says:

Is it me or that other dude voice sound like Michael McConnohie , ya know.. Rolf Emerson from Robotech :P

5. vopperough says:

Having played this patch i can say its amazing, i keep forgetting to fight though because im just intensely studying the new fancy suspension. Hmm.

6. Hunchback says:

Until they change their business model, they can do whatever they want with the engine, won’t change a thing.

• Doganpc says:

For me its the gameplay, likely related to business model, that feels like feast or famine. WoT’s always had this sort of gamblers reward system. You get that one or two really amazing games a night that keeps you coming back. Then those games became fewer and further apart, i’d go days without a match that made me feel like I was having a good time. This took about 2 years, so I got my share of entertainment out of it though.

This kind of stuff is tempting and I do have a grip of leftover gold just sitting there, but I still doubt if the game will ever be fun for me again.

7. Sharongamer978 says:

The game is beautiful as it is now but I can’t wait for this new update.