Spook Central: Spectre Lets You Haunt Your Friends

By Craig Pearson on March 24th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Just like me growing up!

I am unfrightenable in games. I blame growing up in a place where there was once a riot between primary schools (that’s 5-12 year-olds, and I honestly wish I were joking), and that time a dude chased me through the overgrown wreck of an abandoned power plant and I had a small panic attack afterwards. I’m fine now, but growing up in that sort of environment means the idea of the Slenderman or Doom monster is too ridiculous for me to accept as a threat. I could see the silly dread of Spectre at least making me jump, because rather than having the game toss prescribed scares at you, it’s mainly multiplayer. Trailer and information below.

It started life as an Oculus Rift gamejam game, but you’ll be able to play without immersing yourself deeply into the horror. Spectre is an asymmetric multiplayer game between the Seekers and the Spectre. The Seekers will explore the dark, haunted areas of the game, illuminating the confusing corridors with headlamps to keep the spooks at bay. Spectres are floating around, attempting to drain the life from the other team, setting traps, creating illusions, and making things to go bump in an attempt to disorient the Seekers.

It sounds pretty neat, and a bit like Damned.

It’s up on Greenlight, and it turns out they’re currently Kickstarting.

, , , , .

1. w0bbl3r says:

Watching video number 2, I can honestly say I wouldn’t use OR if it was given to me free. I’m not huge into being vain, but I don’t want to look like such a huge fool either.
    And I don’t EVER want to be so dis-engaged from the real world that something or someone could actually do me harm without me having any idea that it’s coming.
    Within a few years people will be walking down the street wearing something similar, and then it will be someone else’s fault when they get mugged, or run over, or walk into walls and shit. It’s already a big enough problem with douchebags getting hurt, attacked and run over because they have their phone stuck to their hand and their head permanently facing downwards.
    I can’t wait until people have their houses emptied whilst sitting playing a game like this, and have no idea for hours later. The robbers will even be making fun, taking photos of themselves right next to the fool who is being robbed and has no idea a gang of thieves are emptying their house.
    But hey, as long as they have fun playing the game, right? Idiots. Anyone who promotes this ridiculous device is already too detached from the real world

• Asurmen says:

I, er, what? This is a joke post gone over my head, right?

• Liquidoodle says:

I’m sure you never sleep either then, just in case someone comes in and robs you while you are unaware of what’s going on around you.

• Antonius says:

Reading his comment, then the replies, all I could think of was:
        “Can’t sleep. Clowns will eat me. Can’t sleep. Clowns will eat me. Can’t sleep. Clowns will eat me. Can’t sleep. Clowns will eat me. Can’t sleep. Clowns will eat me.”

puppybeard says:

So what you’re saying is; having five senses makes me superhuman? Everyone else has sight and that’s it?

Lars Westergren says:

> and that time a dude chased me through the overgrown wreck of an abandoned power plant

For real, or was that the joke part? Someone you knew, or just some random serial killer you bumped into?

• gunny1993 says:

Fortunately that power plant was Chernobyl, this is where Craig got his superpowers.

• Vin_Howard says:

I was thinking something along the lines of “Get off my lawn!”

3. Shadowcat says:

Hey Craig! Boo!

4. Darth Gangrel says:

What the heck is wrong with that sitting dude’s left hand? It almost looks disembodied and the fingers seem to be freakishly long. I won’t give this game any hands-on time, because of that.

• kincajou says:

look on the bright side though, if he ever wanted to learn to play the piano fingers like those will definitely come in handy!

• Darth Gangrel says:

In such a spooky environment, with spectres trying to sap the life out of you and setting up traps, it’s a real comfort that you might be good at playing the piano, because of your freaky long fingers – if you survive.

I sometimes feel an itch on my back that I can’t quite reach with my fingers and that might be a more immediate benefit of long fingers.

c-Row says:

Can you scare members of the other team by having dubstep blaring out of the grammophone?

puppybeard says:

It’s certainly one way of repulsing them, if they really don’t like that kind of thing.

• Geebs says:

I fully intend to scare and repulse people by reading out long and detailed descriptions of their parents having sex.

6. statistx says:

Such human vs supernatural beings games should use a need system like in The Ship.
    Would put a whole new facette of survival and gameplay into it, with your friends holding watch while you take a nap for example, or giving the camper happy human a reason to go out and look for food

Gap Gen says:

I like how Craig has decided to unpack their childhood memories via RPS articles. A cruel upbringing in the post-apocalyptic wastes of Scotland, the only solace a tattered book of puns dating from the Before Time.

8. Metalfish says:

Dear author of the voice-over: less is best.

9. rpanderson says:

Hey guys, I’m the project lead for Spectre. Thanks for checking it out! Spectre is currently in development, and the next phase of development will involve playtesters giving us feedback and helping us expand and improve the game further. I’m looking forward to hearing the feedback our beta testers provide, and in general, I’m really excited for the opportunity to share a game with you!