Face The Sun: Hexarden Announced

By Alice O'Connor on March 27th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Water beauty

Those sunlovers at Flippfly are once again turning their faces skywards seeking life and sustenance. While procedural racer Race the Sun was a frantic rush to stay in the loving gaze of our grossly incandescent father, its next game is a bit more downtempo. The developer yesterday announced Hexarden, a garden ‘em up which it describes as “a puzzle game about growth and harmony.”

Digital gardeners will need to carefully tend their hexes, bringing water to seedlings so they might sprout and prosper, growing into a hextacular garden. The game’s due to bloom later this year.

Hexarden’s building on a prototype co-founder Aaron San Filippo whipped together in 48 hours for the game jam Ludum Dare 24 back in August 2012. You can still download and play that, if your green thumb is itching on this grey morning.

, .

1. Muad'Dib says:

Praise the Sun

2. Jekhar says:

*sings* If only i could be so grossly incandescent
    Sorry, what? The game? Yeah, looks nice. Reminds me somehow of that old Moppi Productions stuff. Gerbera Quarry and that demo i can’t recall the name of.

3. epmode says:

I wish this was really called Face the Sun.

Lars Westergren says:

I really like the idea of nurturing something, but when I try to grow plants in real life the ungrateful little bastards wither and die on me. I have a feeling I will be better at it in games. Might pick this up.

• Zanchito says:

Use regular unglazed clay pots (the cheap brown stuff) with a hole underneath and put them on a platter, they are actually the best thing, because the clay lets excess moisture seep throguh. Don’t use fertilizer for quite a while, and when using it, use half the quantity recommended by the manufacturer. Also, water the plants only when you can stick your finger until the first knuckle after your nail and it comes out dry.

I killed plants left, right and center because of excess care, as soon as I started using clay pots and underwatering / underfertilizing, they grew happy and strong.

Good luck!

Lars Westergren says:

Everything useful in life I learn at RPS. Thank you, I will try that!

• TWChristine says:

Maybe you should try kids first and see how that goes, then move onto plants?

Llewyn says:

I’m not sure this is good advice. In my experience it is both easier to buy replacements plants and attracts less adverse attention when you try to dispose of the dead ones.

Hodge says:

I thought that was papercrafted at first glace. Looks beautiful.

6. Noviere says:

I love the art they are using!

7. Mudlab says:

Pretty sure it’s “Flippfly.”

8. 7vincent7black7 says:

* Woops. Shenanigans by way of Firefox Plugins. They keep installing Inter-Dimensional Jump Relays in the bottom of my page that link me between RPS Dopplegangers and Articles. My Comments are winding up in the wrong Star System! *