No Turning Back: Goat Simulator’s Amazing Launch Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on March 27th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Yeah, you know where this is going.

If you’re still somewhat incredulous at the fact that Goat Simulator is actually a thing, don’t worry: you’re not alone. But as a connoisseur of dumb jokes taken too far and also RPS’ official Goatitor-In-Chief, I must say that I’m impressed with this one’s dedication to cloven-footed shenanigans. For one, it’s basically Just Cause with a goat, which is literally all I’ve ever wanted from games, and for two oh goodness just watch this exceedingly silly launch trailer. It riffs on one of the most renowned/infamous game trailers of all time, and it is just fantastic.

And here I thought Dead Island trailer references were played out. I suppose it just goes to show that goats really are an existential fountain of youth. Or maybe, to adopt a more goatly frame of mind, if you ram your head against the same joke enough, it will eventually become funny again.

Goat Simulator isn’t out quite yet, but it will be on – you guessed it – April 1st. Given that it emerged from an off-the-cuff-hoof joke by Sanctum developer Coffee Stain Studios, it’s only fitting.

And now, revel in the beaming idiot glory of this description:

“Goat Simulator is the latest in goat simulation technology, bringing next-gen goat simulation to YOU. You no longer have to fantasize about being a goat, your dreams have finally come true! WASD to write history.”

Well, you heard the blurb. Get on that.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bleeters says:

And this is why Coffee Stain Studios are amazing to me and I want to hug them all.

2. Stardreamer says:

What an amazing vid! It certainly rams the point home!

Anthile says:

Ah, yes, the rare and illusive actual launch trailer.

DrScuttles says:

Sometimes the finest way to explore the human condition is to take an outsider’s perspective.

5. One Million Monkeys says:

The difference between this and the Dead Island Trailer, is that here it is actually true to the subject material.

6. LionsPhil says:

Magnificent.

7. stoner says:

This is all fine and well, but…will there be multi-player? Will there be GvG in multi-player? And, what about zombie Goats? There’s gotta be zombie Goats.

8. HumpX says:

…blink….blink……….

9. cyrenic says:

Trailer of the year, right there

• cafeoh says:

Huh, tough concurrent to BattleBlock Theater’s Steam trailer, really!

10. Simon_Scott says:

Ah, “goats really are an existential fountain of youth,” no doubt a reference to the infamous John R Brinkley and his goat gland implants. I love how well read this site is.

11. Keyrock says:

Tremendous!

Lars Westergren says:

As a father of many goats, I found this difficult to look at. Have game trailers gone too far?

13. Chuckleluck says:

I’m really a bit (and I mean a very little bit) concerned about this one. Seems Coffee Stain are rushing a little. They never planned on making this a full-fledged game, and with it releasing in just five days, I’m afraid it’ll be half-baked, and not live up to its goaty potential.

14. glock1974 says:

Amazing trailer,especially when billy gets his jet pack on…
    Found this disclaimer on the website:

“Goat Simulator is a small, broken and stupid game. It was made in a couple of weeks so don’t expect a game in the size and scope of GTA with goats. In fact, you’re better off not expecting anything at all actually. To be completely honest, it would be best if you’d spend your $10 on a hula hoop, a pile of bricks, or maybe a real-life goat.”

Well done devs,made me spit cornflakes with laughter….

Colonel J says:

and for extra chuckles do check out the screenshots in the ‘Assets and Goodies’ download at bottom right of their page (.rar containing 6 jpgs, it’s safe. unless you’re a goat).

15. Tei says:

And Satan will adopt the shape of a Goat and he will visit the world and cause great destruction!.

Is on the book!.

16. Zepp says:

Marvelous game with strong female protagonist. Future of mature, tolerant gaming. :)

17. HugobertingtonEsq says:

An excellent representation of what gaming means in an increasingly inter-connected world of information super highways. It espouses all the values that we know are held and the values we need to make a grasp of to understand what these values mean in modern game development and I think we’re in a great place right now.

particlese says:

Woah. I’d never seen that Dead Island trailer before now — possibly because I hated zombie games before it was cool (and I am therefore The Most Cool). That was pretty amazing, at any rate. I blame the music, mostly. Thanks for the link!

Also: Heheh…treadmill of doom…

19. 7vincent7black7 says:

Martha, fetch me my feed bucket!!! Soon it will be trampling time.