Rubes: Crazy Machines Golden Gears Out Now

By Alice O'Connor on March 28th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

A toy truck? How thoroughly zany!

In the interests of speed and efficiency, I have created a device which allows me to write an entire RPS post with one single press of a button. Unfortunately this machine demands several hours of setup between posts, of winding up clockwork mice, priming boxing gloves on springs, charging lasers, and carefully setting explosives to trigger the series of events that are so effortlessly tapping these keys right now. Hopefully a little practice in Crazy Machines Golden Gears will help me improve this.

The latest in Viva’s Rube Goldberg machine puzzler series has arrived on PC, coming over from pocket telephones to the natural home of weird complex machinery.

Crazy Machines has always been a bit of a cheap-and-cheerful take on the The Incredible Machine formula, but does consistently deliver new puzzling in a largely forgotten genre. Golden Gears has a level editor so you can whip up your own challenges and download other people’s too. It’s out now on Steam, with a launch discount bringing it down to £5.59. Mac and Linux versions are due to follow in April.

Of course, Crazy Machines now has a little competition in the form of Contraption Maker from the Incredible Machine veterans at Spotkin. You can poke at that on Steam Early Access for £6.99 if you fancy.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. whexican says:

I finally perfected my Rube Goldberg machine that types out this message on forums in order to post: “First!”

• whexican says:

Nice to see it worked…if only I can find a way of keeping that damn gerbil from exploding.

2. Keyrock says:

Oh snap, the Rube Goldberg Machine Wars are on! I’m fully expecting the Rube Goldberg community to become divided into 2 clans of sworn enemies hurling insults at each other such as

“Pfft, Contraption Maket is for n00bs!”

and

“Crazy Machines Golden Gears is fake and gay!”

• Koozer says:

I expect them to split into at least a dozen different groups, the sorting done by a series of marbles on a track, an array of flipping levers,and a spring-loaded catapult. After the elaborate separation process they will then merge together and fall down a wibbly slide.

• Mr Propellerhead says:

Erm… what about those that maintain the superiority of W. Heath Robinson over that overrated colonial upstart. :|

3. satan says:

- raced in here to make incredible machine reference
    – noticed there already was one in the article
    – cry into my yoghurt

4. rexx.sabotage says:

It just shoots you!

5. KDR_11k says:

I always found Crazy Machines to be too restrictive and telegraphed, they try really hard to make sure that there’s only one solution, the worst part are the pre-shaped ramps that come in the weirdest shapes and pretty much only fit in exactly one place (which is usually fairly obvious). Mission descriptions tend to be unnecessarily lengthy (because they usually have three steps you must perform in order) and there’s usually no question about which part goes where since there are obvious gaps for them, the only difficulty is getting the pixel-perfect placement right. The DS iteration was slightly better because ramps had only one shape so they didn’t give as much away but it was still terribly restrictive.

Interestingly there have been several TIM-likes on the DS, most not very good but usually not as telegraphed as CM.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

If that f***ing noise is in it all the time, they can keep the bloody thing

7. Noumenon says:

I’m confused why “News Editor” means writing posts like everyone else, but I guess the contraption-building approach can cover as many different tasks as you have button labels.

• tormos says:

I assumed it was “news” as in “This is a game that got released” as opposed to other stuff eg interviews, WITs etc