Jeepers: Four Sided Fantasy Will Bend Your Mind, The World

By Nathan Grayson on April 2nd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Guess that's the, 'How many graphics will it have?' question out of the way, then.

Update: Four Sided Fantasy’s Kickstarter is now live.

Original: Wow.

I did not expect to stumble across a game of Four Sided Fantasy‘s clear caliber and inventiveness while lazily sipping coffee on a random mid-week evening/morning (depending on your timezone), nor did I expect to be interested in another puzzle-platformer in approximately the next ever again. But here I am. This one heralds from the level designer of student-made mindbender Perspective, and it’s about folding space, and goodness. Just go watch the trailer. It’s below.

It is certainly an attractive game. I’ll give it that much. The color palette reminds me a bit of Braid, but the core puzzle-solving mechanic – thinking outside the screen and re-defining where the level begins and ends on a whim - is a different beast entirely. Here’s a basic rundown:

“Four Sided Fantasy is a puzzle platformer about thinking beyond the borders of the screen. By freezing the screen, players can fold space to solve impossible problems.”

“On their journey, players will use this power to explore the world of Four Sided Fantasy. Players take the role of a businessman insistent on breaking out of his seemingly endless office life. After being sent on a business trip to a small town, something seems off…”

Creator Logan Fieth is positioning this as a spiritual successor to his rather excellent solo project The Fourth Wall. John adored it, so I’m excited to see many of its best ideas expanded upon.

Four Sided Fantasy is heading to Kickstarter very soon (because of course), but for now it’s only on Steam Greenlight. Does this fantasy strike your fancy?

, , , , , .

1. Ianuarius says:

Looks neat but I’m just so tired of puzzle platformers. Hope this one finds the people who’ll enjoy it.

2. vegeta1998 says:

maybe its good, maybe not but that trailer was insufferable.

caff says:

Agreed, people should be punished for trailers like that.

• faelnor says:

All that time I was expecting some neat reveal that would literally ‘bend’ something and break away from the quite common platforming mechanics we see in those repeated short segments. The letdown was huge and annoying. I want my minute back.

• Skiddywinks says:

This. Was waiting for more and instead it was just a jarringly mashed together mess of the first 20 seconds of gameplay. Either cut the shit and stop wasting my time or show me something that makes me say “Wow!”

• rikvanoostende says:

The Perfume Commercial Trick: if it’s weird and you don’t understand it, it must be good.

• jonfitt says:

That was the worst possible way to display that game.
      Repeating the same couple of 2 second clips faster and faster!?! Urgh! Who thought that was a good idea?

• Nenjin says:

Mmm yeah. I don’t know what Nathan saw in this trailer, but it didn’t blow my mind. Screen wrap in a 2d puzzle platformer? Dude runs through the foreground then the background? What exactly is folding about that?

Maybe dial back the nut graph hype next time.

particlese says:

Indeed! I enjoyed The Fourth Wall and like the new paint job and glitchiness, but that trailer was awful. Surely there’s a better way to integrate the game’s primary/initial trick into the style of the trailer than looping time in smaller and smaller loops. Maybe that’s what they were going for, but to me it just reeks of that cliché in dance music where the beats double in frequency a few times before a drop.

Totally yessing it on Greenlight, though, or however you’re supposed to phrase that…

3. Gwilym says:

Will the full game have more than the four or five screens we get shown dozens of times each? I mean, the visuals are nice, but you really can’t do an epic quick-cut montage trailer with such a paucity of footage. Guaranteed bathos.

SuddenSight says:

It’s a surprise! The game is actually an endless, how-far-can-you-get style game where you replay the same 6 screens at ever increasing speeds.

particlese says:

My initial read of your post ended in “guaranteed burritos”. Thanks for the laugh and for augmenting my vocabulary.

4. Gamesinterest says:

may be it is good as the trailers are fine and will be a fun to solve such puzzle….

5. Monkeh says:

This looks incredibly pretty, but IMO that trailer was terrible.

6. horsemedic says:

What’s in your coffee? That just looked like screen wrapping.

Jonfon says:

Aye, I’m a bit puzzled by this as well. My mind remains unbent. The falling wrap-around just gave me Bubble Bobble flashbacks.

“Fold space” sounds way cooler than “screen wrap” though.

There was some big->little stuff going on too I guess?

7. Justoffscreen says:

I don’t mean to be cruel, but they should really, really get an artist.

Mitthrawn says:

From the footage, this doesn’t seem very interesting or new. I kept expecting some next level “trick”, but this is just screen wrapping and maybe the tilting controls from And Yet It Moves? Apparently coffee leads to Nathan getting excitable…

9. DissidentDan says:

I played this game back in January at an event called Power of Play in Seattle. It was really fun back then, and it looks like it’s progressing along nicely. And if you haven’t played Perspective, do it!