Prog Racing: Krautscape Glides Onto Early Access

By Alice O'Connor on April 2nd, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Well, I saw skies are red, I was born and I was dead

In what would come to be called the Krautrock movement, bands like Can and Faust blended psychedelic and progressive rock with experimental electronics and a kick of jazz, riding rock off its rigid rails to create their own trippy paths. Yet that’s not why Krautscape is called Krautscape. No, while it may be playing at the same with racing, it’s ostensibly named after a fictional character with a hilarious name who dreamed of flying cars, Dr. von Krautkopf.

See, Krautscape has freeform tracks created by the whims and fancies of the leading racer, while chasing players can pop their wings to glide off-track and chase them down. The game’s not quite ready to soar yet, but you can still lay down some smooth tracks as it’s now hit Steam Early Access.

The developers say they expect to launch within 3-5 months, hoping to use Early Access to make sure online play is stable enough. It’s a multiplayer-only affair, I should add, with LAN play and splitscreen too. They also plan a “big update” making cars and tracks a little more varied.

Krautscape will run you £5.59, a bit cheaper than it’ll be at launch.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Syra says:

Looks so cool but the gameplay doesn’t seem like anything particularly special?

• KDR_11k says:

Er, the pole position player gets to build the track on the fly, how’s that not special?

• LionsPhil says:

I can see a concern that the racing gives the impression of being a bit…flat, somehow. However, that is something they’ll hopefully refine. Compare to Nitronic Rush/Distance, for example, and I don’t just mean in terms of graphical gloss.

Edit: Actually, I’m wondering if the problem isn’t more fundamental. A normal racing game can design a track to give you a varying pace of corners and “surprises”, with long straights and blind corners. This one has to allow time for the race leader to decide on and input a next track segment, and as-is that seems to give it a rather steady plonk-plonk-plonk pace.

Smashbox says:

Wow – that game really is a stunner.

2. Rincewind says:

Damn, I might buy this game just for the soundtrack.

c-Row says:

With a name like that you have to do a Kickstarter campaign first! So many missed opportunities…

Anthile says:

Why name a game like that and not have an awesome krautrock soundtrack? So many bands that would beg to have their music featured somewhere.

• Prolar Bear says:

Totally agreed, I don’t get why they wasted this chance. I’m sure the internet is full of new independent krautrock bands, and they could’ve even added a retro mode complete 70s-ish filter and classic bands.

• Bremze says:

I’d say the term krautrock describes a movement, not a genre. You can play prog and psych right now, but that wouldn’t make you part of the Canterbury scene.

That said, something krautrock-ish for the soundtrack would have been great.

5. Fry says:

“Mario von Rickenbach” is now my favorite game dev name. I’ll be really sad if that’s just an amusing alias.

6. postrook says:

so uh, there’s not actually any krautrock in this game, then? aww