Wolf Among Us Episode 3 Should Be Out Any Moment Now

By Nathan Grayson on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Be out in a second! Just need to pose menacingly for a bit longer first.

I will not watch The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile‘s launch trailer. I will not watch Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile’s launch trailer. I will not watch Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile’s launch trailer. I won’t, I won’t, I won’t. I haven’t finished Episode 2 of the Fables comic spin-off yet, and I’ve heard this sizzling reel of piping hot footage is free-range and spoiler-fed. Good news, however, is that this means Big (Bad) Wolf Little Tokyo (alternate/not real title) Ep 3 is right around the corner.

Again, there are apparently big episode two spoilers in that trailer. Watch at your own risk. And if you want to avoid relatively minor spoilers, probably avert thine virgin eyes from this (conveniently vague) episode description as well:

“After discovering damning evidence at a bloody crime scene, Bigby is just steps behind the prime suspect of a horrific murder, but he’s not the only one; other forces in Fabletown will stop at nothing to protect their interests. Every decision matters and time is ticking in this thrilling third episode of The Wolf Among Us.”

Telltale still hasn’t offered an exact release date despite this being a “launch” trailer, but given the way it’s historically handled these things, I would say today or tomorrow is probably a fair expectation. Failing that, early next week seems like a safe bet. Who’s ready to huff, puff, and blow another case wide open?

Oh, and if you’re still on the fence about this whole Great Wolf Detective notion, might I recommend our WITs of episodes one and two, as well as our discussion-packed verdict of episode one? The short version: Telltale’s done an excellent job of taking us to a far-off land that’s actually very, very close to home, but the story sagged a bit in episode two, and moments of true player (or even main character) agency were few and far-between. Will the third episode manage to pick up the slack? I’m definitely hoping so. Telltale’s certainly no stranger to inconsistency, so here’s hoping the rollercoaster’s dip is only temporary.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. ExplosiveCoot says:

I loved the first episode, but episode 2 was really disappointing (even disregarding the long wait.) Hopefully Telltale can redeem themselves with episode 3. Also hopefully this episode is longer than half an hour.

• Skull says:

I completely agree. I loved Episode 1 and was thinking this was going to be the best work Telltale had ever done. I was not aware of the source material but it had a great premise, was highly original and seemed like a break from the trend, especially when The Walking Dead was great but was really just zombies.

Episode 2 destroyed all enthusiasm I had not just for the series, but for this entire style of game. It was rushed, short, unfocused and just plain boring. The fact most scenes wouldn’t even let you walk around and you were stuck clicking on things and listening to a description was mind numbingly boring, I really felt it was an hour of my life wasted. It is a shame to see a game with such great potential trashed in the second episode before things have even got going.

I don’t think I will bother with the rest of the episodes and I am completely put off investing in Season 2 of The Walking Dead now.

Sorry for the pessimistic comment but I needed to get that off my chest.

• jarowdowsky says:

Yeah, I think if Wolf was actually being sold episodically I would have stopped dead after episode 2. Guess I’ve bought it now so I’ll wait for all the episodes to be out and see if it’s worth playing more then.

• silentdan says:

It was really the waiting that got to me. I play a lot of games. If I have to wait four months for another episode, I will have forgotten a lot about the first one. It’s worse if I get impatient and play through it again, because I invariably make a different choice at some point, and then later I can’t recall which savegame I decided to continue with. When, after all that, I see a 30-60 minute episode, I feel shafted.

Quick question for Nathan: how much of episode 2 have you played? I think you’re the first person I’ve heard of who didn’t zip through it all in one sitting. I hope you don’t fire it up again only to see one reveal and end credits.

• derbefrier says:

This is why i wait for the whole season to be finished and the inevitable sale that follows.
          taken individually it sounds like episode two was disappointing but taken as only part of the whole when the season is compete maybe it wont be as bad with the rest of it still to play.

• silentdan says:

The Wolf Among Us is what pushed me into that camp. I loved TWD season 1, and S2 is on my wishlist, but I’m just not going to play it until it’s done. This episodic thing only works within certain restrictions, and TT isn’t keeping to them these days. So, when TWD S2 E5 drops, I’ll book a day off work and pick up a bottle, and just booze my way through a zombie apocalypse. Still love the games, but I can’t take ‘em as episodes anymore.

2. gravity_spoon says:

They can have my money when all the episodes are out. I am not paying for content that still isn’t there and “might” be there.

Comment on this story