Dolphin Head Tentacles: Enter the Mind

By Ben Barrett on April 3rd, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

I'd eat my eyeballs if I had to use Windows 8 am I right haha! bants - Alice

At times I just want to list off a series of descriptions for a game, because I don’t think there’s a better way to sell it. Tentacles: Enter the Mind is about being the horrible black beasty you see above invading the brain of a scientist. A scientist who’s obsession with cute has driven him mad. Also, his head is a dolphin. While within, and I quote directly from the developers Press Play, you will “explore [his] libido” and eat the eyes of the beings now living in his brain. His dolphin brain. Based on that screenshot, you’ll even get to wear cute hats! If you’re not excited, I just don’t know how to make you happy any more, but maybe this trailer will do it.

While we’re in a scientist theme: good news everyone! It’s free. Sadly the pay off is that it’s coming to “windows devices” which means “Windows 8 and some phone OS nobody actually uses.” If you’re one of the lucky(?) few, you can get your slippery mitts on its scrumptious balls (eye or otherwise) come Summer. It’s a shame, I actually quite like the look of the way Tenty (name writers own) there moves and it’s impossible to deny there’s wit and humour here. Perhaps Microsoft will let this one off its leash at some time in the future.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MellowKrogoth says:

Nice premise, but the gameplay looks rather simplistic.

2. Cyrius says:

Good thing I use that “Phone OS nobody actually uses” It actually is better than any of the other phone OSes, its a shame that the adoption rate is so low.

Also, why the hate on Win8?

• SuddenSight says:

All the Win8 hate comes from desktop and laptop people. Everyone I know with a win8 phone/tablet says it’s good. I think it is just a case of over-emphasizing the new market and making the old market feel slighted.

• Cyrius says:

I use Win8 on my desktop. It really didn’t take that much getting used to (More liberal use of Windows Key + E for explorer was one adaptation I made.) BUT Win8.1 Update 1 is coming VERY soon (next week), and with the promise to give the start menu back. (There is a screenshot in my link)

I STRONGLY urge anyone who cares about gaming to check out some of the Microsoft BUILD 2014 stuff asap. Convergence is nigh!

• slerbal says:

Yay! Stardock must be annoyed though as it looks like they have just incorporated Start8 and ModernMix. As a user though: yay!

• Baines says:

I got used to the Win 8 Start… uhm… screen? I’m not entirely sure I want the old Start Menu back at this point. I’m sure I’d get back into using it though if it returned. It’s absence certainly isn’t the deal breaker that people screamed, though.

• bill says:

Argh! I don’t want the start menu back. The start screen is fine. I don’t want that annoying windows start button in the bottom corner either! Why do we need that?

Most of the windows 8 hate seems to come from gossip and rumor and just general hearsay. (mainly based on one or two negative video first impressions for the beta version). Everyone I know who actually used it for more than a few days likes it.
          (the app store and range of metro apps available is rubbish, but as a desktop OS it’s fine. )

My parents, who know nothing about PCs, just told me that their XP laptop died so they bought a new one, which “we mainly chose it because it had windows 7 so we were able to avoid the dreaded windows 8″.
          *bangs head on desk*.
          So these are the kind of people who “know” that windows 8 is bad. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that they’d made a bad decision. sigh.

• LionsPhil says:

Hooray for the inevitable 180!

The only people who go “the Start Menu doesn’t matter lol” are those who didn’t actually make full use of it. (Which is fine, but don’t then tell me it’s not a UI regression to lose it.)

• basilisk says:

Just for clarification – the update that comes next week does not include that. It will provide some more integration of the Metro/Desktop stuff, but the return of the start menu and the option to run Metro apps in desktop windows revealed at Build is at least half a year away, either delivered as a “Windows 8.1 Update 2″ or Windows 9, Microsoft is not saying which.

• slerbal says:

I have an Asus Transformer T100TA for writing on. The Windows 8 stuff is not too bad in tablet form, but honestly it really is only half-baked over all and none of the software was ready for release… that said I do use it every day, but 99% of that is in Desktop mode and thank god for Start8 and ModernMix.

Inconsistent user interfaces, very limited behaviour, two ways to do everything, adverts *everywhere*… Win 8.1 has issues. Plus the Windows Store is an abomination that needs to be put down – not only is it pretty terrible in terms of implementation but it designed to undermine the fundamental strength of PCs.

For a game studio to pick it as an exclusive platform means cutting out the majority of your potential market, so that is something I really don’t understand.

• Hodge says:

I imagine it has something to do with a Microsoft representative backing a dump truck full of money onto their front lawn and saying “Will here do?”

• Cyrius says:

I disagree. Choosing it as a platform gets all the phone users and 8.1 users at once, and they also plan on the Windows Store releases hitting the Xbox One.

I think its forward thinking in terms of total potential market, but games designed for mouse flounder on touch and vice-versa.

• jrodman says:

Except that the majority of the potential market is on things OTHER than windows 8.1 and windows 8 phones, so the point stands.

• Cyrius says:

Although I will agree with you on the split interfaces and too many advertisements. I just think what works works really well, and what doesn’t is easily ignored.

• Nogo says:

I found this pretty compelling: “knowing what he now knows, what would he have done differently? ‘I personally would like to go back in time and kick myself in the balls.’”

• jrodman says:

Of course a big part of this is that they found out that large businesses never pay on time.

• Cyrius says:

Did you buy the game? If not, did you not buy it because you didn’t have windows 8, or because it didn’t appeal to you? Do you think the Windows 8 adoption rates really are what did it in for these dudes? I mean the Xbox also has sold 80 million units, and this game is on there.

I am willing to bet money (or dogecoins) that Windows 9 (insert apps or OS here) will have reverse compatibility with Windows 8 (apps or OS), but windows 7 users will be SOL. These same users are the kind of users who desperately clung to Windows XP until Microsoft stopped selling it, and even now – with the complete end of support life – there are still people using it.

• Phasma Felis says:

You say “desperately” like it’s somehow irrational to be disinterested in laboriously upgrading and re-learning an OS that already works perfectly fine for everything you need.

• drinniol says:

You say “laboriously” like it takes more than five fucking minutes to get used to Windows 8.

Start Menu is now right click. Right click tiles to close them. Alt-F4 on desktop to shut down/restart.

If the old ladies at my work can use Win8 then gamers can too. At least be honest and say it’s because you can’t afford it or are just plain lazy.

• The Random One says:

That’s three things I’d needlessly need to change from my perfectly working OS.

• Baines says:

Or, if you really like Start Menu functionality, you can also restart or shut down by right clicking the Not-Start-Menu Windows logo. It took me all of zero seconds to figure out how to shut down Windows 8.1, because that was the first thing I tried (having already seen that left clicking the Windows logo took you to the Start Screen.)

As bad as it is that Microsoft largely just bolted some shoddy touch interface features onto their previous Desktop OS, Microsoft largely just bolted some shoddy touch interface features onto their previous desktop OS. While it is cheap, it also means that from a user perspective you only have to learn a few new interface bits, with the rest remaining the same.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I’ve owned two Windows Phone handsets and they were both great and so is Windows Phone, it’s got a great UI design and is very straight foward to use, however I’ve moved onto an Android handset and realised how tied down the Windows Phone OS is.

3. Josh W says:

I love the way that thing moves, I love the camera, it’s brilliantly done!

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

“A scientist who’s obsession with cute has driven him mad”.
    I’m an engineer but can still fully relate to / become worried about this statement.

Comment on this story