Random Absent Memories: Loading Human

By Adam Smith on April 3rd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Have you read about my experiences in virtual reality? There was the time I peered through the clouds above Stalingrad like a bride examining the distant altar through her veil. That’s the highpoint of my limited experiences with the Rift so far but it’s my adventures in first-person corpse-carrying that are relevant here. I found Loading Human interesting as an application of tech – motion controls as well as VR – but there is promise in the narrative. A man journeys through his own memories to unlock the mysteries and romance of his life. A new trailer shows how VR can make the mundane magical.

OK, so it’s not all mundane. Those are the parts that I really love though, the object manipulations and recognisable spaces. I have to say that my attempts to perform the basics, such as picking up books, were far less smooth than the actions here. Either I’m cack-handed or the tech is better integrated now. Or, more likely still, the chap in the video has had far more practice.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Terragot says:

But what if you could TALK to the HELIOS 1984 books?

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Something that strikes me from this video is that, unless Oculus are working on their own, at some point there will be a kind of peripherals battle. With so many potential input methods, gamers could wind up with a cupboard full of add-ons, and hardware proliferation (so I have read) can often mean barriers to people taking the platform as a whole up as the costs mount.

This suggests that at some point there will be a convergence to one main type of controller that gains the most uptake / use in games, and I can’t help but think the 360 pad is incredibly limited for something as deep as VR. Luckey, who is a fan of M+KB himself, said that the PC’s favoured rodential control scheme doesn’t work for VR, but then the razer hydra also looks limited to certain applications.

• SomeDuder says:

I’m really hoping for some generic library support, like an extension to DirectX – there’s a billion different gamepads, and most support DirectInput. Something like that for VR glasses (DirectReality, I’ll take my million dollars in cash, thanks) which would be usable by any VR device that can speak the same language would be ideal, so whether it’s an Occulus, a Sony or whoever the next name is that is gonna announce a VR thing, it would work on all applications that use DirectX.

Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

True, but then you will still end up with needing multiple controllers. A common language is definitely a good thing to avoid platform-exclusive barriers, but if you still end up needing a razer hydra, a 360 pad, a Valve squanglotron biofeedback widget AND an RPS Hivemind Brainstem jack (yes I am just making stiff up but the point is needing different types of controller for different game types), then that’s a heck of an outlay. Am I going to buy a razer hydra just so I can play Loading Human? Probably not. Will it work with a gamepad? Probably. But as I am finding with my recent experience with Eurotrucker Sim2, actually owning the right peripheral makes a whole flatbed trailer’s worth of difference.

I dunno, maybe its immaterial as sim lovers will think nothing of dropping a load of cash on a HOTAS stick. I just wonder how this will affect the mass appeal of VR.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, I think this will be an issue for early adopters, at the very least. VR really demands its own controllers, and unless one particular set-up quickly becomes as standard as mouse and keyboard or game pads are for screen-based interfaces, it’s going to be a problem.

3. TheIronSky says:

The article picture made me think of System Shock 2, but then I immediately recoiled in fear when I saw that VR device.

Yeah, the setting looks nice, but I think I’ll pass on the Oculus nonsense for now.

• Slight0 says:

Sounds like more of an error on your part. I mean the game was clearly described as one designed around VR. Soooo if you don’t like VR then, yeah, you’re not going to like the game.

Sort of like critiquing a steak by saying you prefer hamburgers instead.

Comment on this story