Fin: Monaco Adds Fourth And Final Campaign

By Alice O'Connor on April 4th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Bonsoir ma chérie

With Pocketwatch Games starting work on its “RTS you could play in a party setting” Armada, it’s time to stop coddling Monaco and set it free into the big wide world to stand on its own two feet. Run, Monaco! Be free! It’s hard to let go, though, so Pocketwatch has packed one final patch for its darling little heist ‘em up: cheese & Marmite sandwiches, a kiwi fruit (forgot a spoon though), a Tunnock’s Tea Cake, and the fourth and final official Monaco campaign.

Creator Andy Schatz says that the new campaign ‘Fin’ is “brutally difficult” and you’ll find “all eight levels are as hard as Identity.” Gosh. This about wraps up Pocketwatch’s development on Monaco, though it has a level editor so players can still make new heists of their own.

And aw, here are a few thoughts from Schatz on what’s passed and what’s yet to come:

I designed Monaco on paper in 2003 when I was still an employee of a much bigger (now defunct) game developer. Development started in October of 2009. Andy Nguyen joined the team in May 2011. The game launched in April 2013. One year later, nearly a million copies of the game sold, and it’s time to move on.

It’s time to bring something new into the world. It’s time to start over. It’s time for us to earn your attention again.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Fontan says:

And it is free on Steam for the weekend.

Gap Gen says:

Are you guys sponsored by Tunnock’s or something?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Tea Cakes are amazing.
      Also they were banned by the RAF as they exploded at altitude, like a small barometrically triggered marshmallow grenade.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Tea cakes are certainly nice, but it’s all about the caramel wafers.

Gap Gen says:

Which Tim Stone was selling in Flare Path, too. I think RPS is in the pocket of Big Teacake.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I believe Tunnocks do tiered advertising deals, so if the RPS banner turns red and gold, you will know that John has opted for the CHEAP AND INFERIOR Caramel Wafer tier, rather than the TOP LEVEL Tea Cake, red and silver tier. And then they will have horrible bits of chewy toffee stuck to their teeth that won’t come off. Ewww.

If it turns BLUE and silver, you will know that they just have weird taste. Seriously, plaIn chocolate teacakes? The RAF would have banned them on grounds of indecency.

• LionsPhil says:

I want to believe this so hard.

3. RegisteredUser says:

Considering I now own 2 copies of this, I really really really have to try again to see if I can’t make it at all enjoyable.
    I’m still not sure if its me and my gaming preferences or what I am doing wrong with it.

• TazzGo says:

I found I didn’t enjoy it too, I think I was too hyped and just didn’t give it a chance. I might give it another go over the weekend though.

• Warskull says:

Try to find someone to play it with over a voice chat program. The game is built from the ground up for co-op. The game is fun solo, but is infinitely better with a few friends.

Imaginary Llamas says:

When I first played Monaco I hadn’t realized it was going to be as arcadey as it was, which somewhat spoilt my enjoyment. Might give it another go and see if I can find a friend who’s got it as well.

drewski says:

I sort of bounced off it to start with but I figured out a couple of ways to play it.

First, it’s really good as an arcade, chaotic, thrilling co-op multiplayer heist-em-up. Best played with three friends in one room.

Secondly, it’s a really tense, tight, hard-as-nails single player stealth game. Finishing the later campaign missions feels almost impossible without any help, but it’s so satisfying when you nail a mission on the third or fourth try.

I do think it was definitely overhyped, though.

• revan says:

I found it enjoyable when playing with friends, not so much when I did it with strangers or alone. It is a game you play in short intervals, to unwind after work or after a night out in town mostly.

I find that you can’t play this with strangers, because there is no joking around like when you do with friends, and someone is always so darn impatient to move on to the the next level.

• DThor says:

It saddens me that I need to be seriously hung over or struck down with Pandemic SR32 before I can hammer my attention span deficit into manageable chunks to the point where I can relax and enjoy a game that’s less zombie brain splatter. What’s worse is, I ain’t young, it’s getting worse as I age. I used to learn zeppelin songs *by ear*, for crying out loud. That took patience.

Sidebar : yeah this game is cool.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

1. You said you were old
          2. You mentioned zeppelins and their songs

My brain decided that you meant you were able to identify an airship by the sound of its engine alone, and I imagined you back in 1937 on a foggy hillside with an ear trumpet, going “HINDENBURG”.

Free Extra 30% Pun: I hope that comment wasn’t too… inflammatory. If it helps, I am old(ish) too :)

4. BigEyeGuy says:

Monaco is a cluttered over hyped mess and i can’t believe you guys are still pushing this shit.

• poetfoxpaul says:

Consider learning what an analytical argument is, so you can actually contribute to discussion!

• BigEyeGuy says:

Oh look, this guy got the comment. I guess it was analytic enough to start a discussion.
        You pseudo intellectual hack

• mont3core says:

I kinda agree, once it came out that Andy had not played Thief (after he used the tagline from deadly shadows unknowingly and got upset with them) his work lost all luster to me. Monaco started out as a slick simple sneak em up but turned into a visual noise bomb somewhere along the way.

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Kiwi fruit is to be eaten like an apple. No spoon required.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

No. You can keep the fur coat thank you very much.

6. AndySchatz says:

Rough day in the comments T_T

• malkav11 says:

Monaco is brilliant. A little comments hate doesn’t change that.

• ColCol says:

I also really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your next game.

• Jakkar says:

Be cheerful. Most people here live only to criticise, pun and try to impress the elusive ‘gamer girl’ they believe lurks among them. A sad state of affairs.

Gap Gen says:

Impressing Women For Sexual Favours On The Internet Somehow I Dunno How This Would Ever Work What Would They Do Offer To Meet Up In The Comments I Mean C’mon: Clearly the only reason people would ever advance the notion of personal liberty free from judgement based on race, sexuality or gender obviously white knight white knight whtei knight kwnighwtewkgightw

• Warskull says:

Always going to be some crazies. Anyone who isn’t deficient can see that the game is brilliant, even if it isn’t their particular cup of tea.