Popup Dungeon Pops Up on Kickstarter

By Ben Barrett on April 5th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

You, uh, you feeling okay there, mate?

I’m in that board-gaming mood, readers. The one where the infinite possibilities of pen, paper and manufactured cardboard spread out in front of my mind’s eye. You can do anything! You can be anyone! Shame about all that manual calculation that has to come along with the DIY design and tactility. If only someone, say Triple B Titles, decided to do a Kickstarter that took the customisation of characters and abilities but wrapped it up in a charmingly twee cut-out style.

Gasp! Popup Dungeon is exactly that. I’ve never felt so clairvoyant. They’re after $80,000 of real, non-Monopoly money for what they’re selling as an infinitely creative and replayable game. Hmm.

Got the “words appearing on screen in seemingly random order without rhyme or reason” down pat, at least. Not a particularly strong video, but the ability creation is really intriguing to me. While it inevitably snapped in half balance-wise with the attentions of the wider internet, The Elder Scrolls’ magic creation system was dastardly interesting. Layering that over a D&D 4th Edition (aka best edition) style board and removing the slightly tedious if rather tense dice rolling raises my eyebrow. The animation could be improved, but the overall art style – not to mention stylistic and mechanical elements – worked incredibly well in the past.

They’re running a longer campaign than the norm, at six weeks rather than a month, which raised a bit of interest in the RPS Chatamatic. Resident kickstarter expert Jim is pretty sure there aren’t any additional fees for lengthening a campaign, which you might think would make the maximum the default. However, for most projects, the length isn’t actually very relevant towards getting funded. The odd one will only just hit its target or has such wide-reaching appeal that more people find out about it and are interested every day, but most exposure will come early. Kickstarter’s “remind me” feature and fan hype is likely to produce some amount of donation bump towards the end, but that middle section is a wasteland. Dragging it out on an inevitably unsuccessful campaign would be depressing, while those who get their money easily are likely better getting on with it rather than bloating their project with stretch goals. It’s possible Triple B Titles may regret their decision in the end.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. icupnimpn2 says:

From the makers of RingRunner: Flight of the Sages – buried at the end of the video. Makes me optimistic.

• leo4112 says:

Are you tired of going office daily? Now you can work at home with Google and make your own hours. Earn up to $100 a day. You’ll need a computer and an Internet connection and a can-do attitude. Try this site http://Buzz95.com

2. Anthile says:

This didn’t make me think his beard could be his mouth. I appreciate that in a game.

3. AngusPrune says:

That looks amazing. I might well be adding this to my long list of backed kickstarters who have yet to deliver any tangible results.

4. DatonKallandor says:

Mobile Game. Pass, even if it’s the Ring Runner people. I guess RR didn’t make the money it deserved (and it deserved to make a lot of money).

• Caiman says:

Making a PC, Mac and Linux game they’re hoping to bring to mobile in some form does not make it a “mobile game”. Otherwise X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a mobile game, Faster Than Light is a mobile game, Baldur’s Gate is a mobile game, Walking Dead is a mobile game, etc… Just because mobile has become a cesspit of crappy casual games doesn’t mean you can’t bring good stuff to the platform.

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

The ability creation reminds me of Freedom Force. Hey, that reminds me! I want more Freedom Force games.

6. evs says:

4th edition the best version of D&D? Seriously? If you prefer a turn-based MMO sure… But as a system for roleplaying? It sucks.

• DatonKallandor says:

If you need a system for the roleplaying part, the fault isn’t with DnD. For the parts that you need mechanics (combat, rituals, classes, progression, itemization), 4th Edition is hands down the best one.

I guess “balanced classes that are all equally fun to play” is “MMO” to grognards.

• drizzt8t says:

are u retarded 4.0 is the worst thing to be released int he gaming world period it takes all creativity and fun out of every aspec of the d&d game if you have any idea of what a real d&d session is you will hate 4.0. its so bad even the developers are making a new version if d&d to replace it and yes they specifically said it was to replace 4.0

• Harlander says:

But as a system for roleplaying? It sucks.

Well, yeah, I mean, it’s still D&D after all. Zzzzzing!

7. AngoraFish says:

I was a sceptic, but half way through the video and I’m sold.

8. zer0sum says:

Turn up the ambient lighting dudes.

• Gap Gen says:

The cool kids only use specular lighting. A game should look like you’re playing pool illuminated only by a desklamp.

9. Illessa says:

For the campaign length – I’ve heard that the max is something like 45 or 60 days, but that when you set the Kickstarter up, there’s advice on the page that campaigns of 30 days or less tend to have the best chance of success. If I were to guess why I’d say that campaigns longer than a month, people may be more reluctant to back early for fear of forgetting about it or of being short on cash by the time the campaign actually ends, then when they come back (if they do at all) the campaign looks to have no momentum so they don’t bother.

10. jesusitavlowe says:

my buddy’s mom makes $79 hourly on the internet . She has been without work for seven months but last month her pay was $20122 just working on the internet for a few hours. Look At This =========>>>

11. Georted says:

my best friend’s sister makes $86 hourly on the computer . She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her pay check was $15593 just working on the computer for a few hours. browse around this web-site…………………………………………………… http://www.Works6.com