Broforce Explodes Onto Steam Early Access

By Alice O'Connor on April 7th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

Even if you're doing something ironically, you're still doing it.

Hey bro, wanna bro out with some video games? Like any real bro, I love my VGs and I love them even more when I can get my bro on with my bros! The lesson here is: even if you’re doing something ironically, you are still doing it and should feel bad (I certainly do). So look, Broforce really is named Broforce and it does star 1980s and ’90s action heroes with bro-ised names like MacBrover, B.A. Broracus, and Brobocop.

If references to popular culture from when you were younger sets you off into fits of giggles, you’ll adore it. However, if you can get past the questionable bro spin, it is some pretty pleasant shooty platformer fun, and something you may wish to cast an eye over now it’s on Steam Early Access.

Broforce, then, is a run-and-gun platformer about murdering a load of chaps in ski masks. Each bro has his own abilities, and dying or rescuing a hostage switches your bro, so you can end up with interesting problems like facing a helicopter miniboss as the sword-wielding Blade (sorry, ‘Brade’). While the bro-tastic dressing and trailers may suggest it’s a non-stop mega-explode-fest, it’s a bit more reserved than that as one single hit kills your bro. You certainly can light a gas cannister then ride it into a group of enemies, but you’ll probably just die then respawn at a checkpoint. And while your bro can spew bullets and missiles and dynamite and explosions, they may end up taking pot-shots from behind cover or chipping out the destructible terrain to get to an enemy. It’s not unpleasant, but I half-fancy the murderfest I’d been lead to expect.

I did only play on my lonesome like a big Jonah, I should say, and one certainly imagines it’ll be quite different in co-op with up to four bros broing out. If only I had a wingman!

Yesterday also brought the launch of Broforce’s April update and its first female bro, Ripbro.

Dev builds have been going out to pre-orderers for a fair while now, but it’s only just hit Steam Early Access. Before you cough up £11.99, you can have a crack at the early ‘brototype.’

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Big Murray says:

I would happily kick every game which is released on “Early Access” in the nuts.

• Geebs says:

I agree, Early Access in general is a load of Brollocks.

• aldrenean says:

Or you could just withhold your money and judgement until they get a full release and not be such a dick about it.

• bill says:

Depends on whether RPS bothers to post about it again when it comes out of Early Access. Because I’ll have forgotten about it by that point.

• Flopper says:

The free unity version is fun as shit… So is the early access version the same or better? Can’t be worse… If it’s the same but with multiplayer that’s an easy sell.

• Slazer says:

I bought the alpha cheap 6 months ago, and blasted more than 8 hours in 4 player coop.

Just found one bug, which is resolved by now, so they mainly add levels, features and Bros.

2. Tei says:

Judging by Lets Plays, the game looks better than in this video. On this video theres some ugly blur or weird pixelation that is not on the game.

RedViv says:

Broforce Explodes, Is Released All Over Steam

4. sinister agent says:

Robobro, surely?

5. uncleezno says:

Thanks for the update on this! Regardless of your stance on Early Access, the free demo is a heck of a lot of fun. I might pick this up when it’s finished.

• Baines says:

I just hope that there is more to the game than the demo. The demo is really fun. But the demo is more polished flash game fun than $15 game fun.

I know the Steam page mentions other features, but the question is how well those features play out. (Death match, for example, seems like something that might be funny for a few minutes and then never touched again.)

6. NailBombed says:

Had some massive fun with the Brototype a while back, even though it was fairly short. Think I’ll give this a Bro-ing over. Can’t wait for the the Japanese remake Brobrobro-bro Bro-brobro.

This may, like Nuclear Throne, be one of the rare titles on Steam EA that’s actually worth picking up early. Have also had a blast with that too, and it’s very fleshed out already.

7. Dominic White says:

Dying in a single hit isn’t a barrier between you and manic, kill-everything-that-moves gameplay, but rather an incentive to get good. See: Contra, Metal Slug.

• gravity_spoon says:

Yep. One of the best platofmer-blow-shit-ups of their time. Metal Slug is my standard for judging such games.

• apocraphyn says:

I believe the common vernacular is to “git gud”? At least, that’s what I’ve picked up from anyone complaining about the difficulty of any of the ‘Souls’ titles and the advice that they’ve received in turn.

On a similar note, you certainly missed a trick when you said “if only I had a wingman”, Alice. It’s almost as if you were AVOIDING the overusage of the word ‘bro’!

• Alice O'Connor says:

That’s certainly true, but the way Broforce is dressed with the rawk guitars and action heroes and and explosions and silliness and whatnot makes it feel like they should be more rugged. Great heroes shrug off bullets and cut down hordes of enemies, and only rarely carefully pick shots and try to ignite barrels. Though I suppose it’s throwing back to the video games of those years too, which I certainly no longer have the patience for as an old person.

8. JD Ogre says:

Sad. The Ripley Bro somehow manages to be less manly than who she’s based off of. :P

9. Fumarole says:

1980s and ’90s

I’d like to applaud Alice’s correct use of the above in the opening paragraph. How rare it is to see!

10. Eddy9000 says:

If Broseph Fritzl isn’t an unlockable character then no sale.

11. Smion says:

Help, my chesthair just grew chesthair.

12. jonahcutter says:

Terraforming through superior firepower. Love this game.

And don’t worry about whether you’re being ironic or not. The game is expressing a sincere affection for its cartoonish, action-hero personas. There’s no irony about it.