Serious Spandex: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer

By Alice O'Connor on April 7th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Does whatever a spider can

Batman & Robin is, I will insist until my dying days, one of the best-executed superhero movies. “What killed the dinosaurs?” Arnold Schwarzenegger asks as Mr. Freeze. “The ice age!” he cries as he starts blasting away with an ice laser. It wanted to be an absurd take on dim memories of Adam West-era Batman silliness and by Jove, the neon eyefuck certainly succeeded. Modern spandex flicks, no, they’re trying too hard to be mature, edgy, and grown-up. The balance they try to strike between the fantastic and the human rarely works.

Come see what I mean in a new trailer for the tie-in Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, then I’m sure you’ll agree with me that Batman & Robin is brilliant and we should all thank Joel Schumacher.

See? The ‘intellectual’ and ‘artsy’ use of classical music, sexual tension it can’t follow through on, the anguish felt by a youngster remembering a chap on a hoverboard, no no no, it just doesn’t work. Swinging around New York City certainly does look fun, though.

The Amazing-Spider Man 2 is due to crawl out on May 5.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

welverin says:

No. No, I do not.

• damoqles says:

Nope indeed.

• spaced says:

I’m pretty sure Ms. O’Connor is thinking of Shumacher’s previous film Batman Forever. Batman & Robin is a cinematic abortion if you love Batman; or movies.

welverin says:

That’s not acceptable either, and to be honest, I hated Batman Forever so much I flat out refused to watch Batman & Robin. In fact I considered Batman Forever such an abomination I have refused to watch any Schumacher film since.

Jackablade says:

If I’m honest, I think I’d rather sit back of an evening and watch Batman Forever than any of the modern, excessively dour attempts. I’m hoping this Batman versus Superman business finds a happy medium between the two styles.

• iainl says:

I really don’t. Batman & Robin is an abomination.

But on sober reflection it is, I think you’ll find, not -that- much worse than Batman Forever, and the consistently awful tone is less unpleasant than Forever’s utterly failed attempt to jump between West and Keaton in style within the same scene.

RedViv says:

It has something going for it that none of the previous films had: A total dedication to the Batman. Yes, the Silver Age and Adam West version, but still one that makes sense in the way it is portrayed. Burton might have gotten a grim style down that was a nice contrast to the image that floated around in mainstream brainspaces, but the Batman he did certainly not understand quite well.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

In Batman & Robin, when Batman took out his (bat-marked) VISA card and there was the sound effect of a cash register opening, I knew that this film knew exactly what it was doing. It was, indeed, brilliant.

Scrote says:

Poor lip-synching, voice-acting, pacing, plotting, animating, swinging, webbing, blooming does not a fun game make.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Wow, you can guess the pacing of game from a trailer!
      What sorcery is this?

3. Darth Gangrel says:

I personally prefer this clip when it comes to the nice ice puns, youtube.com/watch?v=VNaDZIrxh-0&index=31&list=PL3B4B101CAEA90A17.

Batman and Robin is a very good example of a bad, but entertaining movie.

4. ncnavguy says:

This looks absolutely terrible. At first I thought it was a mobile/3ds game with those textures. Unless it has some awesome play mechanics this should get relegated too movie license trash instead of legitimate game about super heros

• Moraven says:

Dev Walkthrough from a couple weeks ago.

Gives you a basic feel how the game plays.

JiminyJickers says:

That looks quite a bit better than what the trailer above showed. Cheers.

Jackablade says:

This is the second time people have needed to come to the rescue with that dev video. The marketing team on this game needs to be fired. Ideally into the sun, accompanied by a pithy one-liner.

5. Stardreamer says:

The first ASM game actually made for some fun times. With this new iteration, Beenox seem to have worked hard to get past many of the loudest and most common complaints raised about the first game and the Activision Spider games generally. Open world settings instead of linear corridor crawls, for instance. Being Peter Parker as well as Spidey. Web-swinging that attaches to buildings AND more control over it by the player. A wider variety of unlockables, including a larger selection of costumes. A greater selection of stealth takedowns. I’m really excited to play this. If Beenox get this right it could topple the mighty Web of Shadows in my affections. Roll on May 5th!

6. UpsilonCrux says:

Beenox, making the games nobody else wants to make for Actiblizzion since 2010.

DrScuttles says:

Batman and Robin is a triumph. A triumph of what exactly I’m not sure. But it remains a triumph nonetheless.

8. WinTurkey says:

Are they even releasing this on PC?

9. Nevard says:

what an abyssal trailer

10. junglist 69 says:

Spiderman looks like he would snap in two he’s so skinny , get to the gym bro…..

• pilouuuu says:

Well, he’s the emo version that’s been around since Spidey 3, albeit played by another actor, but emo nonetheless, so it makes sense he’s skinny.

Jalan says:

The fanboy in me was ready to reserve judgement when I saw the Kingpin… until he opened his mouth.

Hopefully Beenox gets around to not just simply copying and expanding upon the open world-style gameplay that the tie-in game for Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 did so well and actually put effort into making a better game overall. It doesn’t seem like this will be it though.

12. farglebargle says:

Batman & Robin tried to be tongue in cheek and funny, but was so over the top and stupid that it was simply annoying and unwatchable. This trailer takes itself way to seriously, so it’s pretty much doing the exact opposite? The game does look fun though.