Viscera Cleanup Detail Now Swabbing Steam Early Access

By Alice O'Connor on April 7th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Wouldn't touch that with a fifty-foot Super Mop

Casting players as space-janitors cleaning up after an alien attack, Viscera Cleanup Detail is pretty great as one-note wacky physics sim jokes go. Now let’s go one step further. Imagine playing as the dying lab technician without whom the space marine hero would be lost. Dragging useless gnawed legs behind her, she leaves diary entries hinting at puzzle solutions, scrawls cryptic warnings in her own blood, and plants supplies. Stack chairs and crates to reach odd hiding spots, hunt down iron tablets to top up her blood ink, and sacrifice everything to ensure that bumbling dolt triumphs. An idea for me to make in the next Peter Molydeux game jam, perhaps. Anyway.

For those who insist upon only buying games on Steam, keeping their games library as tidy as their space station, Viscera Cleanup Detail is now on Steam Early Access.

Runestorm has offered VCD beta access to pre-orderers for some time now, of course, but the idea of buying a game outside is Steam is as terrifying as a many-mouthed spacemonster to many. So look, you weirdos, it’s now on Steam Early Access for £5.59, coming complete with the Santa and Shadow Warrior-themed spinoffs. Co-op, new levels, and extra cleanup tools have been added since the early free prototypes.

, .

1. Snidesworth says:

I’ve spent a couple of hours pottering away in the alpha and the Shadow Warrior version while listening to podcasts. I think it pushes the same sort of buttons that match 3 games do for most people. Not sure if I want to spend actual cashmoney on it, though I also can’t say for sure that I definitely don’t.

• Bostec says:

A bit like Euro truck simulator then. Usually stick an album on and have a few beers, I imgine this would be the same but with out the ” That car wasn’t there before” and “Fuck it, U-turn on the M1, i’m going to do it!”

2. stoner says:

I’ve played the free alpha for about 30 minutes. It gets really boring really fast. Pay for this? Uh, no.

3. JFS says:

… or I could just give my actual bathroom and kitchen a mop-up.

4. geldonyetich says:

Say what you will about the monotony of mopping up messes in a game, at least it’s a change of pace from all the clones.

Judging by my experiences in the Shadow Warrior version of Viscera Cleanup Detail, it’s loosely in the vein of physics comedy games, like Octodad or Surgeon Simulator. The mundane activities you’re supposed there to do have nothing to do with the real draw of the game: the overall awkwardness of trying to do these mundane things in a computer game physics engine.

5. Professor Paul1290 says:

Aside from physics comedy, I think this game has a lot of opportunities for so called “environmental storytelling”.

It would be really nice to see levels where you can follow the “story” of the protagonist that passed through before you did and piece together what happened from the items and gore they leave behind.

• geldonyetich says:

This is true, but I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case in Viscera Cleanup Detail. Instead, it will be played for laughs. The space janitor you play deliberately eschews any interest in the story, sorely out of resentment for the massive mess it left behind. This is just a guess based on what I’ve seen about the game.

• Leadershinji says:

I played the Game already, and i can tell you there is a story about the protagonist to find. All levels have clues in the mission briefing, and you can always find Log files. But to be honest just one Level was neat, you could find clues about the protagonist and his antagonist, what the purpose of this lab was… Also without the clues you can’t accomplish the job in one level, you need to find the door unlock code to clean the room behind.
        It’s just a pity that they made that in just one level very good… the others are nice but nothing special.
        I havent played the multiplayer part yet but it looks fun.

6. junglist 69 says: