Lo Dideth He Say ‘Ooo’: A Light In Chorus Looks Heavenly

By Nathan Grayson on April 8th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Man.

A Light In Chorus‘ creators claim it’s “a game that’s more concerned about mood and feel than win-states,” and I think they might just be onto something. I feel like I just skinny dipped in the night sky, and it was only a little weird.

OK, that was all very pretty and almost hypnotically peaceful, but how will it actually work? Developers Eliott Johnson and Matthew Warshaw explained it. Sorta.

“Our game is about navigation, cultural ancestry and sparkly things. It’s also a musical instrument in the form of a landscape, one whose notes are made playable through travel and exploration.”

“A Light in Chorus is an exploration game set in a world made entirely of particles. It’s probably fair to say that it’s a game that’s more concerned about mood and feel than win-states. You move around the world as a reconfigurable swarm of points – adopting the shapes of things around you, illuminating hidden landscapes, and revealing shadowy fragments of a much larger mystery.”

Very early videos show off more of the shape-shifting, but current stuff seems more focused on first-person strolling. Apparently, however, you’ll be able to switch between first and third-person perspectives in order to change forms, solve puzzles, and do other things of that nature.

There are also star deer. Who doesn’t love star deer?

A Light In Chorus looks like such a gorgeous, earnest thing. I will wish upon the stars that it turns out great. It doesn’t have a release date yet, but it seems to be making good progress. More soon, hopefully.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. golem09 says:

I this doesn’t get the Oculus treatment, then nothing should.

1. Halk says:

If you like the looks of it, that aesthetic (meshes rendered with particles) has been done much better in the past :

• rhubarb says:

That looks pretty different to me. More like they were going for a pointillist painting look, whereas this is more about floaty-sparkly. Personally, I prefer this.

• KillahMate says:

That Agenda Circling Forth demo is worth linking on YouTube for easy access:

(HD viewing recommended for maximum particle goodness)

• mrwonko says:

Hmm, I expected that link to lead here… In retrospect, yours is probably closer to the game, whose look I like, by the way.

2. Jams O'Donnell says:

A lot of lovely ambient soundtracks today in RPS game land. I approve.

3. Kefren says:

The colours and textures remind me of adding colour to trees in The Void. Colour me curious.

• Geebs says:

Yeah, I got the same sort of vibe, and I loved The Void’s atmosphere. It’s a shame that the Void is just too damn hard.

I wonder whether the short view distance here is driven by the massive overdraw they must be suffering from? I always find it interesting when a game gets its look from working around technical difficulties. In this case they could probably use a sort of “reverse impostor” system – actually use polygons with a speckle texture further away, and use particles nearer to the viewpoint.

4. rhubarb says:

At first, I was slightly put off by the speed of the camera movements in the first video. It seemed anxious and jarred with the ethereal setting and sound. But, on thinking about it, I realised that, to the person playing the game, those movements would be natural and almost instinctive, like moving your eyes. That made me think about our adaptation to mouselook as a part of our bodies, just another pair of legs and set of eyes. I think about this kind of thing a lot.

• Grargh says:

I think the movements feel so jarring because the demo was played with a gamepad. The view is either rotating at constant speed or not at all, which is a bit unnatural. If this is the case, I hope mouse&keyboard will still be supported.

Other than that, I really liked it!

5. Darth Gangrel says:

I love star deers, because they remind me of Harry Potter’s Patronum animal, which is a deer that looks like it’s made out of light.

6. clem2k3 says:

Two things occur to me:

1. Thats a very pretty game.
    2. Ill need to clean my screen before a play a game that black … ick

7. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Any youtube links for those videos?

8. Shazbut says:

No gameplay then?

Ok, but only because it’s THAT pretty

9. golem09 says:

I this doesn’t get the Oculus treatment, then nothing should.

10. SuicideKing says:

So like the real world then?

11. Viper50BMG says:

After watching the first video, the apparent forest setting with one lone lamp-post immediately made me think of a dreamlike trip to Lewis’s Narnia.
    Imagine my disappointment when the neon signs and buildings appeared in the second video.

12. Continuity says:

So, Dear Esther with special effects.

Sounds good to me.

• captain nemo says:

Seconded. That ‘agenda circling forth’ demo by Fairlight was sweet too…

13. crinkles esq. says:

It’s an interesting idea, binding particle systems to polygonal models, but I think it would work better as an effect in a game, rather than the sole aesthetic itself. It was making me feel rather wonky, but that might’ve been more due to the choppy framerate and jerky movements.