Shhh: Secret Ponchos Is Coming To PC

By Alice O'Connor on April 8th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

My look this summer shall be poncho and cowboy boots

Look at this Secret Ponchos screenshot: that poncho is anything but. There it sits, boldly in the open, flapping in the morning breeze. No, we’re told, it’s a secret. Fine, we’ll pretend we don’t see it if it makes developers Switchblade Monkeys feel better. In much the same way, we know from this tweet that the rootin’ tootin’ multiplayer shooter is clearly now coming to PC in addition to consoles but oh no, that hasn’t been formally announced, so whatever could this cryptic image mean?

I hold a deep fondness for the American frontier, so Secret Ponchos is instantly interesting to me (I won’t lie: I’m wondering if I can pull off the poncho-and-cowboy boots look this summer). It’s a class-based affair with a lineup of rotgut-swillin’, panatella-smokin’, whip-crackin’ desperados all shooting each other to pieces. It seems relatively tactical, with line-of-sight vision blocking and special abilities and perks and all that. But I’ll probably play it regardless if the music’s twangly enough because, as part of the problem, I’ll go for anything catering to my aesthetic fancies (see also: cyberpunk).

Switchblade Monkeys are showing Secret Ponchos at PAX East this weekend so prepare your best “Oh gosh I had no idea!” face for the inevitable announcement of a PC release. Have a gander:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Looks cool. I enjoy these “twin stick” shooters, but I cheat and use a mouse and keyboard. No idea about this game, but many Ikari Warriors-likes seem to have added difficulty because of the silly control scheme and can almost seem too easy with a mouse cursor for aiming. Still, it looks like fun.

• SuicideKing says:

I wish RPS would do a WIT on Halo Spartan Assault, now that it’s on Steam. Have you played it though? I think i will end up getting it, but can’t decide whether i should wait for the summer sale or not.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Always wait for the summer sale!
        Haven’t played it myself. In fact, until you mentioned it I assumed it was some sort of mobile FPS. Does look fun.

• SuicideKing says:

It did start off as a mobile twin-stick, in fact. Yeah, i guess i should wait, though i doubt MS will sell it for lower than this…so i might as well get with Leviathan Warships. Wish Halo: SA had coop though.

Mitthrawn says:

I’ve played Spartan Assault. It feels like Halo, which is bad or good depending on who you talk to. I like halo and have a certain amount of nostalgia for halo 1-3, so i found it very enjoyable. Combat feels the same- grenades are overpowered, needler is deceptively effective, assault rifle uses the same amount of bullets to kill each class, etc.
        I’ve played through the first three chapters and so far I am definitely enjoying myself. Makes me wish for a real halo game on steam though. Oh to dream!
        So in short, yeah for five bucks, recommended.

• SuicideKing says:

Fan of Halo CE, not of 2, would have liked the others more but i completely fail FPSes with a controller. Did try all. Watched Total Biscuit’s video on it too…yeah definitely seems fun, might pick it up.

True, wish they’d at least re-release the original with Steamworks. Halo Anniversary would be a bonus. Halo 5 if MS wants to redeem themselves.

2. rhubarb says:

This looks like fun, and very pretty too. Still waiting for a western game with properly weighty and deadly guns though…

• twig_reads says:

You could try Smokin’ Guns, it’s a western-themed deathmatch game based on quake 3 engine. But don’t worry about the quake 3 bit, the weapon don’t feel arcadey at all, but like very lethal, if abit inaccurate firearms. As they should.

3. mauzed says:

Really like the design, don’t know about the game, from this trailer could seem too simplicistic? Hope to be wrong.

4. Squirrelly says:

Really love the style, hard to tell how it will play though. Got really excited when I saw that Line of Sight was a thing

cpt_freakout says:

The animations look really cool. Hopefully it will have all sorts of multiplayer modes.

6. Sarkhan Lol says:

Lovin that guitar sound.

7. TehK says:

nominated for best title & best trailer music 2014!

8. The Random One says:

Ooo, that’s a nice aesthetic. I’ll love it if it indeed is a twin-stick shooter. Otherwise I’ll pretend to still respect it but my disappointment will drain our relationship until it’s ground down to nothing.

9. Dozer says:

It’s impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.

10. Richard Burton says:

Nice looking game. Just wondering though, why is it that the “Western” (specifically, 1960’s Spaghetti Western style) genre is so overlooked and underused in videogames? I know plenty of people who would still say Red Dead Redemption is perhaps the greatest game ever made (I myself finally bought a PS3 just to play it), but we never really had anything do date that came anywhere near as good. I always thought that an RPG, something like say in the style of Skyrim or Fallout 3 set in a Spaghetti Western movie universe like the ‘Good, The Bad and the Ugly’ or ‘Death Rides a Horse’ where you can personalise your character to look like Lee Van Cleef, Clint Eastwood or Eli Wallach would be pretty fun, and that’s even before we could get into some potentially epic and atmospheric storylines set in the Civil War/Victorian era. Or is it just me?