Bad Medicine: The Evil Within Trailer

By Alice O'Connor on April 9th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Awfully unhygenic

Mysterious things, boxes. What’s in them? Biscuits, cats, our wife’s severed head… we simply won’t know until we open them. How enigmatic this makes The Evil Within‘s villainous Boxman, so named because he’s a man with a box on his head. What ever could this box contain! It’s quite comforting, though. Seeing Boxman and co in a new trailer for the scare-o-shooter reminds me of Resident Evil 4, which is certainly welcome. We’ve got cruel countryfolk, silly science, mansion deathtraps, honking great fleshy monsters, and characters taking very seriously things which are quite absurd.

Capcom have clearly lost the knack of making good Resident Evil games, not to mention that it’s drowning with tons of horrible lore pushing it down into dark waters, but perhaps other people can nail that tone. To a wall. Then write something cryptic in blood. Then a shocked character cries “Wha- what is this!”

See, it’s in development at Tango Gameworks under the direction of Shinji Mikami, who directed Resident Evil and RE4 then went off to direct crackers like God Hand and Vanquish. These were huge games with huge development teams, of course, but things he’s been director on have historically turned out quite nice indeed. The Evil Within’s due out on August 29.

, , .

RedViv says:

Okay here some build-up because this is horror okay now HERE ARE THE HORRORS YOU WILL ENCOUNTER IN THIS, A HORROR GAME. THAT UNDERSTANDS HORROR AS HORROR SHOULD BE.
    Don’t thank us, please, we are just wise PR people who want you to be able to concentrate on shooting the stuffing out of BOOO HAHA GOT YOU RIGHT WE UNDERSTAND HORROR monsters, not be frightened because you don’t know what in the world you are fighting, and whether you should at all.

(Did we mention the guy with a weird shape instead of a head, wielding a bloody rusty weapon, wearing bloodied apron? We got one of those. You like those, right?)

• DaftPunk says:

What the hell.. ?

Mikami himself said in interview for this game that his kind of horror involves shooting stuff so buzz off pal,not every game need to be like Amnesia.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Mikami doesn’t make horror games, he makes comedies. Unintentional comedies, but comedies nonetheless.

• Shooop says:

More games should be like Silent Hill 1-4 instead. Because that’s actually horrifying.

• dethtoll says:

Sir, you’re mistaken. Silent Hill is a trilogy.

• Shooop says:

Orthodox story-wise, yes.

But 4 was a competent game in its own right.

• Gravy100 says:

There’s about 20 other games out or coming out that will give you proper suspenseful horror, obviously this is a campy gory shooty game like resident evil 4, from, shock horror, the maker of resident evil 4.

Bradamantium says:

Considering Resident Evil 4 (and, I suppose, maybe Dead Space) are about the last we’d seen of this kind of game, I’m more excited for a return to proper action horror than I am by the endless cavalcade of would-be Amnesias conflating jump scares with cerebral horror.

• NailBombed says:

…. and what’s so bad about that? Like a gorefest once in a while… does every game of this type have to be one, certainly not, but it looks like a fun ride to me – and shades of RE4? I’d buy it.

• GameCat says:

Care to elaborate?

You’re talking about those all Amnesia clones? If so, then I think we have rather different definition of “proper suspenseful horror”.
        Playing Pac-Man with zombies is just a cheap gimmick, slightly more tasteful than jumpscares. Horror can’t exist without good plot and characters to care about.

• Pich says:

Sorry, I’ll stop liking what you don’t like.

RedViv says:

Yes please hate over-revealing horror trailers with me. Because that is all I was going for. The game can be as gory horror as it wants to be, but showing all that stuff in a trailer before is just disappointing when you eventually want to experience it on your own. In this genre more than any other, no matter if relying more on shooty or survival.

• Philomelle says:

In their defense, this is Shinji Mikami. I thought I saw a lot of Resident Evil 4 in the trailers, then I played the actual game and discovered I saw nothing at all. The man makes ridiculously intricate games and I expect nothing less from this one.

• hungrycookpot says:

• SillyWizard says:

Ay. Thanks to this trailer I feel equipped to declare that this game is much too scary for me. I appreciate that kind of heads up.

• ravencheek says:

Yeah this whole trailer gave me the vibe of “look at the horror and crazy screwed up creatures we totally originally created, that you haven’t seen in any other game style before”.

I really thought that RE series or “action horror” died out with Dead Space. I guess all game genres pull some crowds… It’s a shame this isn’t even real horror like Amnesia or Penumbra, it’s just Uncharted with a “crazy” story line and the enemies have been reskinned.

• DaftPunk says:

Read above.. Not all horror games need to be like freaking Amnesia. You are getting handful of that kind of games in near future so ..

• Volcanu says:

I for one am glad that action horror hasn’t died out. I loved RE4 and DS1 & 2. No they aren’t cerebral “horror” games but they are still great fun. They also have far greater replay value than the likes of Amnesia or Outlast – which go for a different angle but suffer from any suspense being killed stone dead on a second playthrough or once you’ve died once. Granted “action horror” with jump scares also loses the sense of dread on a second playthrough but this is less of a problem when the “action” part is such good fun.

One is not necessarily better (or more valid) than the other. Furthermore why must every game be the same? Especially as you yourself imply, action horror games are hardly ten-a-penny at the moment.

• The Random One says:

RE4 was excellent, but I think the only reason people think of it as “action horror” is because RE was a horror series traditionally. It’s a straightforward action game where the only horror elements are the deliberately limiting controls and the super weird uncanny human enemies. I’d like to play a lot more of RE4 style games, but they don’t need to pretend to be scary because it won’t work.

• tnzk says:

What if Morpheus told you that horror titles don’t have to be scary.

Just like how having visible abdominals doesn’t necessarily make you fit, or how racing stripes don’t actually make your car go any faster, scares and suspense don’t necessarily make something a horror title. It’s only a general indication.

The reason I say this is that most horror stories and films aren’t generally scary either. Only a select few are terrifying. With games and gamers in particular, many are inspired by the horror film genre post-Exorcist/post-Alien, where the aim of the game was to scare the bejesus out of the audience with helpless characters in bizarre situations.

That gives insight into why people erroneously assume “Oh, this guy has massive guns and the monsters aren’t skulking around? Totally not horror!”. Bull. Resident Evil, for example, fits right into the horror genre when it use to be written in paperback serials.

Now that I think about, shock. shlock, and titillation best describes what constitutes horror. Not scariness.

Source: I’m a horror maniac. Favourite works are the Italian gialli films of the 70′s and their supernatural horrors of the 80′s

• Shooop says:

Pah, you youngins don’t know the real king of horror hill, Silent Hill.

Amnesia’s “Oh no the cenobites are after me and I can’t do anything but hide from them!” gimmick had nothing on glimpsing and hearing things that shouldn’t be just out of frame.

• Volcanu says:

Oh come now, Silent Hill ain’t THAT old. At least not so old you need to do the ‘kids of today routine’, it came out in 99. I remember it well enough – although as a N64 owner it was only witnessed on friends Playstations now and again.

I also remember staying up all night and playing RE1 at a friends house and being thoroughly creeped out by it. Thing is, you get older and what once scared you no longer does. A full Silent Hill remake might work, but would you honestly find it scary revisitng the original now? You’d probably find the textures and models horrific but in quite a different way!

Don’t get me wrong, I fully agree with you that good horror is all about suggestion and letting the audiences imagination / fear of the unknown do the legwork. Once you show ‘the beast’ or try and explain things too much it’s no longer scary. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t a place for OTT adrenaline pumping, ‘jump scare’ action/horror games too. RE4 and Dead Space are like the Aliens to Silent Hill’s Alien if you know what I mean. Isn’t their a place for both?

2. Koshinator says:

What’s more horrifying to me is some of that godawful texture work…..

• ZIGS says:

I was surprised by that as well. The graphics in this trailer are… well, just compare it to this one from a few months ago:

Looks like graphical downgrades are the new thing now

• Skiddywinks says:

I’m wondering if (/hoping that) the latest trailer is console footage and the TGS one is PC.

• MkMax says:

the old trailers were probably done with a pc before knowing the final hardware limitations for consoles, which seems like its going to be a theme this year

• Shooop says:

Next gen’s true contribution to the gaming world revealed at last!

• DanMan says:

That was about my first thought, too. Looks terrible, but not in a good way. Like RE4.

But that TGS trailer doesn’t look any better either.

3. Eddy9000 says:

Really fancy some biscuits now…

4. Keyrock says:

Capcom have clearly lost the knack of making good Resident Evil games

That’s not entirely true. I thought Resi: Revelations was awesome. The “core” numbered series, though, has indeed fallen off a cliff, quality wise.

• DaftPunk says:

Actually from gameplay perspective RE6 is quite good.

• Philomelle says:

It’s only good if you never played any third-person action game Shinji Mikami put out. After his RE4 and VANQUISH, RE6 is kind of a step back.

• Razumen says:

No, it’s still a good game, just because it’s not up to par as the previous entries doesn’t make it bad automatically.

• MkMax says:

i disagree, the gameplay was not good, a step back in comparison with re4, as clunky as that game was at least everything was designed around the gameplay, so it just kind of worked

re6 was horribly unfocused, unable to take a hint from the vastly superior gameplay of dead space it is still clunky as hell but now with enemies that do not work well with that, turning it into a frustrating mess. Character development/weapon progression is awful, the forced coop partner is still a torn in its butt, worst of all the increase in qtes during combat and the bonerific desire for “Hollywood action shots” or overscripted scenes just end up taking control away from you all the time making the whole thing feel wrong.

5. Keyrock says:

From the trailer, it looks like there will be a healthy dose of mindfuck along with shoot the scary monsters, which is cool, as I generally prefer mindfuck over shoot the scary monsters, though I can still get down with shoot the scary monsters if it’s done well.

tumbleworld says:

It’s about time we got a new Resi, name-change or not. This looks like being suitably bonkers mindless fun.

7. MkMax says:

looks promising, the only way i could think he could screw this is up is by going crazy with the qtes.

…. please dont go crazy with the qtes ?

8. jamiejbyers says:

my buddy’s step-sister makes $75 an hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for seven months but last month her payment was $20750 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Learn More Here…………..

9. DrRoxo says:

Uh, is Boxman the next step in Pyramidhead’s evolution? Or is it just his distant cousin? I’m guessing we’re getting other shapes as well in the future? :3

• Shadram says:

Coming this summer: Ballface DLC

• Subject 706 says:

He will evolve to the most horrifying of demons: Icosahedronhead!

strangeloup says:

How about a guy with a d20 for a head, which he rolls to decide how to murder you?

10. Shooop says:

The bits of surrealism is great, but everything else is just a copy/paste of modern RE games.

It’s like they went down a checklist:
    Tank controls? Present!
    Big enemy with a chainsaw? Got it!
    Crappy swarm defense section? It’s in there!
    Main antagonist with super speed powers the camera loves to zoom in on? You bet!

Is this all we can expect from a “master of horror”? Fuck this. Where’s Team Silent? Someone make a Kickstarter or something to get them back together.

• tnzk says:

When I go watch a Quentin Tarantino movie, I expect hyper violence, a lot of swearing, at least one forced use of the n-word, and an incredibly creepy foot fetish.

When I play a Shinji Mikami game, I expect everything that you’ve labelled in your checklist.

Between him and Hideki Kamiya, they’ve made some of the best action games of all time. It’s kinda cool that their games have an auteur approach.

So no, let’s not “fuck this”. Fuck the clones, and stick with the O.G of action-horror.

Also, if you wanna know where Team Silent went, the ringleader went off to do the Siren games, the famous sound guy went to Grasshopper Manufacture, whilst the rest just sort of faded away elsewhere. Team Silent pretty much peaked at the second game though.

• Shooop says:

With Tarentino you can at least expect some changes beyond the setting and some snappy dialogue in between the obscenities.

There isn’t a single thing that’s original in this dreck, that’s the point. So what if it’s made by the guy who created the 3rd person splatterfest action genre, he’s not even pretending he’s doing anything interesting with it. It’s the same thing only with barbed wire.

Shame about Team Silent. They may have made their masterpiece early, but the games that followed were still good. So much for survival horror that’s actually horror then. We’re doomed to nothing but big men with chainsaws screaming “I’m scary right?!” and dark corridor running simulators.

• tnzk says:

Just a couple of things:
          - This is his first return to the genre as director since Resident Evil 4
          - Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made.

I see enough changes in this game to be optimistic. A lot of people are saying the game plays like a cross between the old RE games and RE4, which if pulled off well will be pretty fucking legit. Like seriously, I don’t mind the slow boil of the former with the meatier action of the latter.

But I feel your issues lie more with the aesthetics rather than the actual pedigree of the game, which is why you brought up Team Silent. While Silent Hill is my favourite survival horror game, the original games themselves never strayed too far from formula. SH fans got angry when the series started changing. They seem to enjoy the mythology behind the game more than the game itself. RE fans (or Mikami fans) appear to enjoy the mechanics that make the game rather than the story itself.

So I still stand strongly behind the notion that we shouldn’t count this game out too soon. With games like Vanquish, God Hand, Aladdin under his helm along with countless other producing credits behind other good titles, the guy is not really a “master of horror”, but more like a master of fucking video games.

The only real worry is Bethesda. They’re still hit-and-miss when it comes to publishing other peoples’ games.

11. dethtoll says:

Can we go back to horror games of 10 years ago? Manhunt, Silent Hill 2 and 3, The Suffering, all that? And, slightly more recent, Condemned?

Because I am well and truly done with Dead Space 2/Resident Evil 4-style splatterfests. And, for that matter, fuck Amnesia and all its ridiculous, frustrating clones too.

• Shooop says:

Eeeeeeehhhhhh…

Manhunt and The Suffering weren’t a whole lot different than this dreck. Manhunt’s entire claim to fame was how much it relished violence and The Suffering was exactly like what you see in the video above in this article.

Silent Hill was the only game that really got horror right, even to this day. It wasn’t cheap “Hey there’s a big guy with a chainsaw over there! Because chainsaws are shocking right?!” or this “Oh no I can’t fight back against these cenobites!” like Amnesia. It was Lovecraft: The Video Game. You could barely make out nightmarish things and sounds everywhere and that made it feel like there was something much worse going on outside your perception. And they packed the games so full symbolism the analyses of the game’s story could fill books.

• IgneousPapyrusBlunderbuss says:

You’re saying Silent Hill didn’t have shock tactics? With the gore-drenched grates everywhere and killing monsters resembling schoolchildren, yep, really subtle there.

You could barely make out the nightmarish things in the game because it looks like ass. Some say that that’s to its advantage but everything from the blurred graphics and textures to the fog were results of hardware limitations and pure accident. It has good sound assets but so does Amnesia and plenty of other horror games you’ve just been repeatedly trashing in this article.

Pages and pages about its symbolism, lol. Whatever symbolism the first SH had is mostly ripped from Jacob’s Ladder, as subtle as a brick to the face (I am in a school with monster children because my daughter is a young child in school and Alessa blah blah blah) or BS fans made up (the boss fight with the giant moth represents… Harry’s moth phobia? Or maybe he really hated Mothra in those Godzilla films). And the game’s story is less concerned with “symbolism” than the game’s stupid cult. SH2 did symbolism better, with James’ sexual anxiety, guilt and other demons, but as interesting as its story is it’s only barely more subtle than SH 1 and 3.

Now it may sound like I think Silent Hill games suck but I assure you I do think at least the first few were enjoyable but SH fans are insufferable, and need to be taken down a peg or two and realize their precious game series isn’t flawless or devoid of the same problems that the horror games you hate have.

• tnzk says:

Shooop did you even play Silent Hill? You made the mistake of retroactively applying Silent Hill tropes to the original Silent Hill game.

The original Silent Hill was the best PRECISELY because it didn’t get so far up its own arse. It just set out to be an audiovisual experience. You were still going through clich├ęs such as abandoned schools and scary hospitals.

Silent Hill 2 is when the series started getting really psychological. Silent Hill 3 is when the sharks jumped in. Silent Hill 4 was when they realized they had to call it quits.

A modern analogue to the original Silent Hill is Keiichiro Tomaya’s (sp?) Siren series. Again, just a plain creepy atmosphere with unfussy gameplay mechanics.

• IgneousPapyrusBlunderbuss says:

Nope, let’s just stop and declare that Silent Hill is the only piece of horror gaming that did it right. Nope, it cannot be merely considered the best or simply a favorite horror franchise of anyone’s, but the ONLY ones. So declares horrormeister king Shoop da Whoop, and so declared it shall be. That’s correct, in the great pantheon of gaming history which includes many a horror game with their own creative takes and spins on this all-encompassing genre, SH is the only good one. Because… no other games have scary sounds coming from beyond where you’re standing I guess. OK so Dead Space, Amnesia (and its clones, whatever those games are, where can I find those, can they only be imported from Ice Cream Unicorn Fart Land, or perhaps one of its sovereign territories?), this game (I want to know where you guys are getting your playable copies from, if you don’t like it at least give ME a chance!), possibly Resident Evil, have all been established as shit. Condemned and Siren have already been mentioned and may get the whip pretty soon. So to get this out of the way, let’s list off every horror game classic, cult favorite, extremely important/influential titles and what have you that we can definitively say are pieces of shit because Silent Hill, and so we don’t have to waste our breaths mentioning them later:

Games such as The Lurking Horror, Project Firestart, Personal Nightmare, Sweet Home, Waxworks, Alone in the Dark, Splatterhouse, Clock Tower (SFC), Clock Tower (2) (PS1), Ecstatica, Echo Night, Clive Barker’s Undying, Sanitarium, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet, Realms of the Haunting, Downfall, The Cat Lady, Penumbra, Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Dark Fall, Pathologic, System Shock 2, Outlast, Knock-Knock, The 7th Guest, Harvester, Shivers, Alan Wake, Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi, Fatal Frame, ObsCure, Parasite Eve, D, D2, Enemy Zero, Cry of Fear, White Day, Hide, Lone Survivor, F.E.A.R., Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, Yume Nikki, Alien Resurrection, Aliens vs. Predator (2000), Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Scratches, Hell Night, the Chzo series, Black Mirror, John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles, Rust and Blood, Ib, The Crooked Man, The Witch’s House, Home, The Void, Sepulchre, One Late Night, Underhell, Nightmare House 2, Ao Oni, Corpse Party, Serena, DayZ, Metro 2033/Last Light and hundreds if not thousands of others we can now safely say for certain are nothing but shit and Team Silent’s Silent Hill games should be the only horror games to ever exist, ever, EVAR.

strangeloup says:

I never thought I’d say this, and it’s probably only in my mind because I’ve been playing the latter recently, but this trailer for The Evil Within makes Shadows of the Damned look subtle, and SotD is basically one big dick joke.

It also seems like the most bogus “mature horror themes = bucketloads of gore, amirite?” situation since The Cat Lady. My god that was a bag of shite.

13. SRTie4k says:

The one thing that has always bothered me about splatterfest games: the dead bodies are always so shiny! It’s maddening! I’ve dismembered my fair share of people, and I can attest to the fact that bloody body parts are not reflective at all.

14. engion3 says:

This game is still on the idtech5 engine though right? Hopefully the controls feel good.

15. IgneousPapyrusBlunderbuss says:

What terrible comments. Everyone’s trashing this game (and trashing completely unrelated horror games) as though they had actually played it themselves and even know what it’s about. I thought a site as “erudite” as RPS would have a user base with collectively at least one extra brain cell more than YouTube’s but guess not.

So this is the vague “montage” trailer before we get to find out what the hell the game is actually about and what features it will have. The pale guy in robes with levitating powers that looks out of some jRPG is the only thing that seemed cheesy to me (but then I don’t know what his role in the game will be) but everything else looks promising. And I liked the brief glimpse of that large dandelion field. Hope it turns out well, look forward to trying it.