Motley: Prepare To Accrue The Crew This Fall

By Nathan Grayson on April 9th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Look for HIGH-OCTANE ACTION PARKING with friends on a FRIDAY NIGHT in a place where you DON'T REALLY KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND and you're sort of afraid that YOUR SWEET RIDE MIGHT GET BROKEN INTO if you leave it near all those WEIRD WAREHOUSES.

I’m sure Ubisoft’s enticingly open racer The Crew will provide oodles of entertainment if I can just make it past the title screen without face-planting into my steering wheel due to paralytic title-born boredom coma. The Crew sounds like the most generic thing in the world, and in some ways it looks the part too. The promise of having the entirety of the (truncated) United States open for traversal, however, is simply too tempting to resist. I am conflicted but hopeful. It’ll be out this fall, and there’s a new trailer below.

So far, Ubisoft is only saying “fall 2014″ for release, refusing to narrow it down any further. Oh well.

The Crew really is set to be positively massive, though. Apparently driving from one side of the map to the other will take around 90 minutes. So yes, it falls short of US’ purple mountain majesties and amber waves of grain concrete, but it’s quite a span by videogame standards.

Once upon a time, Rich wrote about The Crew‘s utter dependence upon, er, crews, noting that sloppy controlling single-player couldn’t hold a candle to the thrill of downing an armored 4×4 with some friends (or strangers). I’m not sure if I agree entirely, given that my ideal mode of playing this game would be just cruising around the countryside and admiring quintessential US landmarks like the world’s biggest rocking chair.

Also, the one time I played the crew (E3 of last year, I believe), I loudly declared that I was going to drive off a highway cliff and straight into the middle of Las Vegas. A Ubi PR rep was like, “Um, OK, but I don’t really think you can do–” and then he stopped like a ferret with its tongue trapped in a lawnmower because I goddamn did it. My car exploded the first time, but the second time I cartwheeled down that cliff like a ballerina gymnast samurai who was also a car. There’s the plot of your next Transformers movie, Michael Bay. You can just go ahead and take that, free of fucking charge.

Ahem. So anyway, The Crew has my attention, even if I am worried that it’ll be a tad generic and have crappy car handling. Those things matter significantly less, however, when you’re planning to spend 90 percent of your time on an immaterial life-death tightrope swaying gently over every major city in America just before plunging to your certain, immaculately planned doom.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sparkasaurusmex says:

If you think The Crew is a bad name, wait for the sequels. The Crew 2… and I can’t even pronounce The Crew 3

• AbigailBuccaneer says:

Surely, 2 Crew 2 Videogame and The Cr3w, respectively?

Llewyn says:

I’m hoping Penguin (see below) is correct, and the second sequel will be The CЯEWƎ.

(Yes, I’m sorry for my offences against typography)

• Octuplex says:

This comment made my day.

2. BobbyDylan says:

Doesn’t this game have always online DRM that kicks you out of the game when your connection fails?

DarkLiberator says:

Well, to be fair its apparently more of an MMO then a typical racing game. However the always online for singleplayer is bullshit.

• iainl says:

Indeed. But since Ubisoft is desperately trying to persuade people it’s an MMO of sorts, rather than the online-optional Test Drive: Unlimited it bears a strong resemblance to, it’s not hugely surprising.

3. dE says:

Seriously, if this doesn’t come with a fine hardrock soundtrack, I’ll be pissed. The leadsinger got fired because he was too much into racing. Would there be a better fit?

4. 1Life0Continues says:

Picture the scene:

The deep throb of the massive V8 naturally aspirated engine behind your seat, the wind whistling in the cracked open windows of your muscle car. You flick your eyes across the rear view mirror and spot your rival hot on your tail. Taking up your radio, you call in a favour from a crew mate, and within a few seconds you hear the high pitched whine of an exotic supercar before a loud screaming rending of steel and carbon fibre fills the air, and you have just enough time to see both cars disappear off the side of the road. Smirking, you switch up another gear and slam down the on the gas as you rapidly approach the finish line.

[Connection lost]
    [Returning to menu]

5. Junkenstein says:

Does this have highway police? ‘Cos if if I can live out my Smokey and the Bandit and Vanishing Point fantasies, I’m buying it, regardless of what else you can do.

6. LionsPhil says:

I don’t think a ferret with its tongue trapped in a lawnmower would stop.

7. hemmingjay says:

For me the decision to purchase or not is steering wheel support. NFS Rivals was easily the best NFS in years but was destroyed by the total lack of steering support. It also wasn’t helped by 30FPS cap.

8. Chuckleluck says:

Didn’t realize this was going to be on PC. I might have to look into it, since I’ve been wanting a good open-world multiplayer game recently. Of course, lest we not forget Uplay is certainly going to be attached *shudders*.

9. Pengun says:

This seems like such a missed opportunity, imagine if you will a gritty tale of the hard-core underground street racing scene of Crewe. Imagine the roster of iconic supercars, Nova’s, Corsa’s and even XR2i’s for the classic crowd. The pure gameplay delight of 1:1 scale photorealistic McDonalds car park and the thrill of dodging trolleys scattered around the back of the local Morrison’s would put Polyphony to shame.

10. AdamDenton says:

So is this essentially a scaled up Need for Speed World? The premise of a giant, go anywhere “racing MMO” does hold some appeal but I’m not sure they’ve cracked the formula yet (NFSW certainly wasn’t it).

11. RPSRSVP says:

Always online=check
    Peer to peer, session ending host migrations inevitable and frequent=check
    Parity across all platforms in terms of IQ and physics=check
    $60 release=check
    Shop for pay to win items to hunt whales=check

12. derbefrier says:

Could be A lot of fun, don’t screw it up.

13. LennyLeonardo says:

Concrete would be way better if it was amber.

14. Keyrock says:

I’m one of the few, incredibly lucky, people for whom Uplay has not set fire to their cat, so that’s no barrier for me, and I do love the concept of a Test Drive: Unlimited type of giant open world racing/driving game, however, the always-online even for single player requirement mean I’ll likely never touch this.

15. brulleks says:

I spent well over 100 hours just cruising round the scenery in Fuel looking for viewpoints and skins and enjoying the view, so if this can manage to offer enough variety in the visuals and a free-ride mode that refuses to interrupt my enjoyment with cutscenes, objective popups and other unnecessary fun-obstructions, I’ll give it a go.

16. sdry says:

these frenchies did those shitty test drive unlimited games. Good ideas, shitty execution. No big hopes about this either.