Demo Of The Dead: The Blackwell Epiphany

By Craig Pearson on April 10th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Follow me, readers. We shall wander through a metaphorical world of cardboard and shelves, passing things that once were but now are not. Here is one. It is labelled Human Sacrifice. Let us ponder the significance of the metaphor within this metaphor. Look, there’s one that says Leech Therapy. And over there is another that is labelled Whigfield. There is no box labelled War. Do you see? We are getting closer, closing in on the recent past–be careful to not slip on the Pogs–and the box of game demos should be just about… wait. That can’t be. It was here the other day. No! NO! That means we can’t stop game demos from being released. They said this day would come! NoooOooooOOOoo...

Wait. That’s a good thing. Everyone release demos! What’s that, Wadjet Eye Games? You’ve released a demo of The Blackwell Epihpany? Hooray!

This will be the second to last taste of Blackwell ever released, the final release being the full episode of the elegant adventure series. It’s up to you if you want to sadly click on the demo, or wait until April 24 to imbibe it all in one glorious inhale.

Interesting point: The Blackwell developers have taken the opportunity to give their series an ending. This isn’t a cancellation, but a studio in the position of being able to complete the story they wanted to tell. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

, , , .

daphne says:

“This isn’t a cancellation, but a studio in the position of being able to complete the story they wanted to tell. I can’t remember the last time that happened.”

Er. Really? :-)

Can’t wait for this — and I just got The Shivah from the new Humble, too. Good times. I’ll be skipping the demo, though.

Craig Pearson says:

Totes. Do point out if I’m being thick.

• tobecooper says:

One could argue that Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea part 2 fit the bill, but they aren’t as ‘clean’ examples as Blackwell because the franchises will continue into the future.

The other brilliant example is Baldur’s Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, but this one potentially fits the ‘I can’t remember the last one that happened’ part, taking into accounts it’s almost 15 years old now (damn you time, damn you to hell).

I’m curious what other games people remember. Ending a game series’ story on your own terms isn’t that common.

• Philomelle says:

Throne of Bhaal isn’t exactly a good example either because Black Isle and other involved studios did want to continue the story, albeit through a different protagonist. Their later D&D games, especially Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter and Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II, had a lot of narrative hooks, themes and NPCs interspersed across the entire trio of Icewind Dale, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape, so it’s obvious that they intended to continue the story of the world and other Baldur’s Gate characters despite the story of the Child of Bhaal being finished. Much like with Shepard in Mass Effect.

The real reason the series is no longer being made is not due to lack of want, it’s because the rights to Dungeons & Dragons are stuck between Atari and Interplay, two extremely incompetent publishers who own a lot of trademarks but have neither money nor manpower to do anything with them.

• thekelvingreen says:

The intention was for players to carry their BG2 characters into Neverwinter Nights but then the third edition of D&D came out and it was no longer practical to do so.

2. sophof says:

I’m looking forward to this, have really become a fan of Wadjet Eye in the last 2 years or so. Their games have nice music, nice graphics (the newer ones at least) and generally great characters and story, what is not to like!

3. Unclepauly says:

I can’t get her into the building. lol

4. The Random One says:

There’s no box labeled war, but there’s one labeled WARFACE.

Stellar Duck says:

Very much looking forward to this. Pre-ordered it long ago and can’t wait for release. I don’t normally pre-order anything.

I broke my rules for you Dave! As I did with Resonance, Primordia, Blackwell Deception and, if memory serves, The Shivah.

I’m not going to play the demo though. I’ve no doubt at all it will be great so I want to play it all, not just a chunk.

6. tnzk says:

Yeah, not going to play the demo Dave. I already know I’ll be buying and playing this one.