Wasteland 2 To Be 50 Hours Long, LA To Be Green

By Nathan Grayson on April 10th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

I wasn't kidding about the 'green' thing.

Wasteland 2 might be in its “final stretch” of development, but that doesn’t mean all systems are go just yet. inXile is still hard at work on ironing out kinks, smoothing rough edges, and even overhauling the entire inventory system. The mighty kicker of starters does, however, have an estimate of how long a single playthrough will last you: 50 hours. Exploring all locations and missions, however, will take “quite a bit longer.” One such location? The entirety of Los Angeles (and outlying areas), which is not part of the ongoing beta. If you think Wasteland’s been looking a little too, er, wasteland-y, this ought to make you gleeful as Aberforth, the goat Alec nearly murdered.

Los Angeles is as green and glowy as a pregnant Swamp Thing, and it looks to be quite a change of pace from Wasteland’s desert dry early goings. inXile Xplained in a post on Xickstarter:

“Los Angeles is a separate world map from Arizona. A lot of Arizona has a feeling of familiarity for the Wasteland 1 fans, as it sees the return of quite a number of Wasteland 1 locations and factions. On the other hand, Los Angeles allows us to get back to some of the wildness the Wasteland setting allows, by opening up a fresh new area with weird possibilities. Nature has reclaimed much of the ruined landscape.”

“In L.A., we decided to make many of its recognizable landmarks key locations, including the aforementioned LA Coliseum and Hollywood, but also such spots as the Watts Towers and the Griffith Observatory. Our design process started with, ‘What would be the most bad-ass areas in L.A. for the player to visit?’ We then sprinkled these areas with weird cults and weirder creatures.”

LA will also be less initially hostile than Arizona, with many settlements beginning in what inXile describes as “equilibrium.” As a result, you’ll be given some time to explore places’ features and cultures before they reveal their less civilized sides. Conflicts might present themselves as splinter groups within gangs or cults (which you could then help reconcile or pit against each other), or external threats who are maybe less open to talking things out.

All of which sounds rather formulaic, but apparently it’ll be anything but. “Los Angeles shines in a strong variety of locations. That variety evincing itself not just in visuals and flavor of the location, but also in how open or guided an area is, how conflict or hub-oriented it is, etc. etc,” wrote inXile.

Color me very, very intrigued. And also post-apocalyptic LA-green, my new favorite Crayola crayon color.

, .

1. BobbyDylan says:

YAY! I’m already tired of dry Arizona.

RedViv says:

Or tired of in general people only looking at Mad Max, which was set in bloody Australia, for what the post-apocalypse looks like.
      At least the West Coast Fallouts and Wasteland had an excuse.

• Trithne says:

Not to mention Australia isn’t all desert. Plenty of green around here.

2. Zekiel says:

Sounds fun. I don’t understand how a “separate world map” works though. Does that just mean its not available initially and is opened up after some event?

• WarderDragon says:

Most likely it is just linked to the Arizona world map through a vehicle or a special location of some kind, that’s all it means.

• jarowdowsky says:

Well traditionally a separate world map would be an entirely new overworld to wander around. Usually that would be gated with some event, so I imagine finding a caravan heading to LA or uncovering an airship or working train? Something where you’ll see – ‘Would you like to travel to LA?’ and then the new LA map would replace the Arizona map you’re wandering around.

• Enkinan says:

From what I heard there is the current Arizona overworld map that is in beta, then you get access to a helicopter and fly to a new map of LA later in the game.

3. manny says:

I’ve always though it was pathetic that rpg players would prefer quantity over quality. It really insults the genre. Still the main story should be strong at least given they’ve been working on it for over half a decade.

• AngoraFish says:

I guess that I’m one of the pathetic then. If I wanted a scripted interactive novel I’d play one, or read a comic. RPGs should be about my unique story, not the developer’s. My story can only emerge when there are multiple branches and lots of content interacting in complex ways to create unanticipated, emergent outcomes. Yes, absolutely, I’ll take quantity of content over a “quality” story any day.

• Cytrom says:

And thus, the elder scrolls series was born, and it was awesome, no matter how much the “cool kids” try to piss on it.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I both note and approve of the “was” in there. :)

• Tacroy says:

That’s fine, but that’s also not this game.

• HadToLogin says:

Guess you’re not Elder Scrolls fan.

• Prime-Mover says:

I have yet to meet anyone who would prefer length over everything else. However, length certainly can be a proxy for depth, complexity and replayability, especially in an RPG. But again, I doubt you’ll be able to justify your belittlement by reference to someone who would prefer length to everything else.

• Shadow says:

Quantity is important, but there has to be a decent amount of quality to it. Lest you end up with an MMORPG in your hands.

I suppose Shadowrun Returns could be considered a quality-over-quantity RPG, but the downside is you’re left wanting for more.

• manny says:

The question is how much content is necessary to create that branching story and world? 50 hours is excessive. I’d say 10 hours is sufficient.

Anyway, that’s why crpg’s are so bad, they focus on quantity over quality to satisfy the diehard rpg base. Wasteland 2 obviously has ugly graphics, a bad gui and bad combat. But who cares if they can bring 50 hours of gameplay? Pathetic is the right word.

And there’s no excuse in this day of DLC and digital distribution. Wasteland 2 could have been a polished and perfect RPG with 10 hours gameplay and later they they could have released a 15-20 hour expansion pack. Just look at Shadowruns, it got mediocre to poor reviews from the start because they wanted to give enough gameplay instead of a quality gameplay experience. When they had more time they followed up the larger much better quality Dragonfall expansion pack.

• Sgt-Hawker says:

So you want to have a game with 10 hours only of gameplay? So you will pay 50 bucks for these 10 hours? I for one want 50+ hours of game play and replay ability in a rpg. I for one like the game, it reminds me of being a kid, and yes I even played Wasteland, and several other games where you had to type what you wanted to do.

So far the only draw back I have seen is the character build, would like to have more options but i can live with it as long as the game works, has a good story with different outcomes.

So if you want a 10 hour game go play on a Wii,xbox or ps4, and leave the PC gaming to alone.

4. karthink says:

Those are crabs wearing cars for shells. This is a thing.

• Anaraavi says:

(Jim) What you doin’ ?, (Anaraavi), Oh! Just Hailing a Crab!

….

I’ll get my coat…

• botd says:

Nope, those are definitely Mazdas.

5. nonadventurer says:

That LA map in the update looks very similar to a Wasteland 1 map design-wise: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/860/359/2db27999e5370a239af5a7ce6c0caa5a_large.png

Just wanted to say I’m really happy about that, and wish the majority of W2′s map were like that. Fewer corridors, more open-ended design please.

6. Strangerator says:

“We then sprinkled these areas with weird cults and weirder creatures.”

LA hasn’t changed much since the apocalypse.

7. Muttley says:

I feel kind of guilty about not giving the beta any love, but I’ve been spending so much time in the Elite: Dangerous alpha I’ve had no time at all.

8. Fry says:

The explanation for why LA looks like a rainforest in this world is a bit nonsensical, but hey. It’s pretty.

Waiting for final release before I touch this anymore. Blowing through half the content in beta seems silly.