Thermal Batpants: Chilly Arkham Origins DLC’s New Gadgets

By Alice O'Connor on April 10th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Ooh, doesn't he look warm?

Look, Batman: Arkham Origins‘ developers would like very much to stamp out a few of the remaining bugs but they’ve been too busy working on the DLC story campaign and the important things it adds. Like a roasty-toasty new Batsuit for Bats and special heated Batgloves to keep his Batpaws warm on chilly evenings. They’re worried about young Master Bruce. Aren’t you too? You don’t want an orphan to freeze to death just so you can play a video game, do you? You monster.

See, the ‘Cold, Cold Heart’ DLC adds a new mini-campaign starring Mr. Freeze and his icy tricks, which means Batchap gets a few warming gadgets to fight back. Come have a gander what Warner Bros. is sacrificing support for in a new video developer diary doodad with a fine display of Batbiffing.

Batman slips into a chunky new Extreme Environment suit, looking a bit like a World of Warcraft character. It comes with heated Batgloves that can thaw frozen civilians, warm Batarangs to knock icicles onto hapless goons, and punch men in the face to leave them oooh a little sweaty. Armed with these, he’ll stop Freeze from doing whatever it is he’s up to–something involving ice or his wife or both, no doubt–hopefully crack a few ice puns. You guys, I really do admire Batman & Robin.

Cold, Cold Heart is due on April 22. After that, maybe, just maybe, we’ll see another patch.

, , , .

1. Henke says:

Any DLC named after a Hank Williams song can’t be all bad!

• Henke says:

Except for “Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing: I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” maybe.

• RedViv says:

Why not, when it’s about a character so lonesome he could cry. Except he can’t, him and his broken heart.
      (Oh dammit, ninja’d half of the other songs I could think of!)

• int says:

Say hey, good lookin’ – what ya got cookin’?
      How’s about cooking somethin’ up with me?

Hey, sweet baby – don’t you think maybe
      We can find us a brand new DLC?

2. Cytrom says:

I hope Arkham Knight wont be spammed with DLC like this one. The previous two were not, and they also felt complete without any dlc. Like any good game should be. I don’t support the DLC/microtransaction business model.

• w0bbl3r says:

I felt asylum was perfect with the free GOTY DLC, just a few challenge maps. And city had just the right amount of DLC, at the right price.
      Compared to how expensive this season pass was, for how much content you got, city was definitely the better buy. A couple of quid for robin and nightwing, which were done perfectly, and about £6 for harley campaign, that was perfect.
      I too hope they stick to something very similar for the new game, especially with it being the final chapter in the arkham series. They need to end it perfectly, not just in terms of story and gameplay, but in terms of delivery as well.

• TheTingler says:

I think City got exactly the same amount, if not more because the Catwoman stuff was actually important. I’m actually happy for the Skins packs that can be used in the campaign, except for the stupid omission of a ‘Movies’ pack.

Cold, Cold Heart is actually the only real DLC for the game. And I bet Arkham Knight will have more.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I have no problem with companies making and selling after-market content. The problem I have is when the content is so insubstantial it is just not worth any money. I used to buy expansion packs all the time, I buy very little DLC though because for the most part it is either some cosmetic garbage or its one extra level that lasts around an hour.
      As far as Arkham Origins goes, the fact they flat out said they would no longer be bug-fixing, instead prioritising DLC content, made the original game a permanent no-sale for me so I couldn’t give a flying fuck about this DLC.

3. w0bbl3r says:

For how long this has taken, how expensive the season pass was for such little content (basically this and a couple maps and costumes that were shit), and the debacle that was the main game in terms of story, polish, bugs, crashes, glitches, voice acting, and all round gameplay, then this had better have a ton of gameplay length to it, and be stable, polished and working.
    All of those are things I don’t expect, seeing as how shoddy they have done so far. But if they don’t do something spectacular here, they will always be the guys who ruined the arkham series.
    And seeing as rocksteady, the daddy of arkham games, are doing a REAL sequel for release this year, WBM need to do something special to stand out, and not get made to look even more foolish than they already did next to rocksteady.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Isn’t this a great example of “DON’T BUY FUCKING SEASON PASSES”. You are paying for content that doesn’t exist yet, that may never exist, or may turn out to be shit.
      Yet more and more games are announcing this season pass tripe all the time so there are clearly a lot of people buying this shit in droves. FUCKING STOP IT.

4. Phantom_Renegade says:

Mr Freeze was the best, and probably only enjoyable part of Batman and Robin. Had the movie been Mr. Freeze watches cartoons and in between kicks ass and rescues wife it would have been a classic, and a good opportunity for Arnold to show that he can actually act, because I believe he can, instead of only giving him these silly action flicks with no actual story.

• Low Life says:

I wonder what he’d be like in a serious Mr Freeze role. I bet he could do a proper spine-chilling performance.

But since he’s Arnold, he’d probably still get a cold reception.

Ice.

• Darth Gangrel says:

He should do another Conan movie called Snow Con(e)an. Since many say that Batman’s super power is money, all that the villain would need to do is to freeze Batman’s bank accounts.

• JimboDeany says:

Snow chance

• The Random One says:

I was all warmed up for an inevitable pun thread, but you used up all of them and left me in the cold. Not cool.

• Jalan says:

Still waiting on Rocksteady to do the game adaptation of Heart of Ice. Arkham Knight story DLC perhaps? Definitely would make for a better offering than the “no, Harley’s not really pregnant” DLC from Arkham City.

5. PopeRatzo says:

I will buy this. There is precious little AAA content to play these days that’s worthy of the name, and I had a lot of fun with Origins and only had one bug (that wasn’t a game-stopper).

I realize this disqualifies me from indie cool-kidz camp, but I’m up to here with low-res 2D platformers and point and click text adventures.

Batman: Origins was worth the money.

• db1331 says:

I would have to agree. I balked at the game at first, since it wasn’t made by Rocksteady. After the Arkham Knight reveal though, I started to get that Batman itch again. Then Origins went on sale for $10. I went ahead and bit the bullet on it and the season pass for like $15 total. I’m actually enjoying it so far. I’ve only encountered 1 bug so far, a door that would play a sound like it had opened when I tried to exit an area, but it wouldn’t actually open. I just quit back to the main menu, resumed my game, and the door worked normally.

6. Moraven says:

Tonight’s forecast, a Freeze is coming.

Stay cool, bird boy.

What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!

Lets, kick some ice.

Alright everyone, chill.

7. Dawngreeter says:

That DLC really should’ve been named Ice, Ice Baby.

8. Kefren says:

I don’t understand, why do bats flit about when he punches someone? I don’t remember seeing that in any comics I have read.

• jonahcutter says:

Same reason the obnoxious and immersion-ruining grading HUD pops up after every single fight: Video Games!

Actually I’d guess its a slightly less-graceless way (than having them just outright vanish) of removing bodies so the engine doesn’t have to continue to render them.

9. Christo4 says:

Can i rant about the inneficiency of having heat coils on the surface and/or not protected/covered by anything?