Pewtiful: The Vektropolis Kickstarter

By Craig Pearson on April 10th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

I remember when this was all not lines

Jim spotted Vektropolis back in 2012, and then there was nothing. Well, that’s not strictly true. There was nothing from the developers about the game, but in general terms stuff did occur, and you all lived through it. Now Vektropolis is happening again, joining the world as a bouncing baby Kickstarter game, and looking for £50,000 to fund what looks to be a city-defense, open-world sort of G-Police thing. Genre-ific.

Is it a strategy game or is it a shooter? Well it’s both those things: you’re building the city, a last refuge for humankind, extending the defences to help you fight off the alien waves, but also ensuring the city’s population are looked after in recovery. You’re choosing between guns or care responses, making the ther sort of decisions that only Boris Johnson understands the magnitude of. When the aliens are blasting at your hopefully expanding city, you’ll then be taking to the skies, to become part of the defense that you set-up.

I like the detail that sprouts up in the city. Vector graphics could be an excuse for the devs to dial down the smaller touches, but there will be vector blades of grass, flocks of birds, and lots of ground-level detail for you to connect with and want to protect.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spoon Of Doom says:

The mention of G-Police fills me with pure joy, but as I’m already backing a couple projects right now, my stupid, responsible brain tells me I should probably not throw even more money out the door for things that I might have in a couple of months/years.

• Brothabear says:

tisk tisk you and your stupid brain ..

nah lol I had the devs from G-nome tell me they were interested in making a next gen version of that game…and with heavygear Assault about to come out in alpha, and road redemption (road rash like game for PC) My money is stretched thin lmao.

Nostiglia its more potent than crack i swear.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Now i have this in my head:

Serve the public trust
    Protect the innocent
    Uphold the law

Looks awesome and 80’s tastic.

3. dvorhagen says:

Is anyone old enough to remember playing an obscure Apple IIe game called Zenith when you were a kid? This is that game!

4. GallonOfAlan says:

Wasn’t there some vectory-Escape-From-New-Yorky-type helicopter shooter being proffered a couple of years ago? What happened to that?

Chaz says:

I was gonna say that it could do with the theme music from Escape From New York. Don’t recall the game you were thinking of though.

5. Taidan says:

Visual style looks like the Cholo remake. I like that.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s the future from the past! It was the best future.

• The Random One says:

The future was way better back then. Now it’s gone mainstream.

7. Warduke says:

Reminds me a bit of the original StarGlider on Atari ST

8. geldonyetich says:

Looks good to me. What have textures ever done for us, anyway? Those highfalutin’ hard drive bloaters with their bumpy maps and their wannabe voxel pixels. Go back to the Louvre, you fruity painters, it’s time for gameplay to step up.

9. Hasslmaster says:

Goddamnit. As if they knew, I cannot not back a game featuring Terri Brosius as a voice actor. I just cannot.