Garry’s Mod And State Of Decay In Humble Bundle

By Alice O'Connor on April 11th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

HOORAY!

Say kid, how do you fancy being a YouTube sensation, a real livestream Liberace? “B-but where would I even start?” you ask, eyes wide with hope. A new Humble Weekly Sale offers almost everything you need to become an Internet megastar, minus the hardware and a dreadful persona.

Curated by ‘PewDiePie’ (he has YouTube’s most-subscribed channel, don’t you know?) the bundle packs a few games the exhausting manbaby personality has wailed obscenities over, including Surgeon Simulator 2013, Garry’s Mod, and State of Decay.

Unusually for a Humble dealio, the PewDiePie Saves the Children bundle (he’s fundraising for Save the Children) is split into oodles of price tiers. The basic pay-what-you-want set is Surgeon Sim 2013, Guacamelee, and the Android version of QWOP. Paying at least $6 gets you Speedrunners and Garry’s Mod too, while hitting $10 adds Probably Archery, and for $15 you’ll have State of Decay on top of it all.

“$15 for a Humble Bundle?” you might huff and puff but hey, that’s a lot of decent video games for not very much money. They’re video games proven to get you 25 million subscribers.

, , , , , , , , .

1. Geebs says:

The Humble sale – now with all the stuff you already have from the last couple of Humble Bundles.

• Syra says:

It’s funny you should say that because I don’t like to double up on games I have actually avoided several humble bundles and also purchased a few of the early ones. This one has 4 games in it I actually want and don’t have! Magic!

slerbal says:

Agreed, Geebs. It seems a bit strange to me how many times the same games are popping up in the bundles (Humble Bundles especially), especially given how many excellent other games are out there. I get the feeling HB isn’t really trying that hard to get new games, and is coming across to me as a customer as a bit cliquey.

No matter though, I have enough games to last me many lifetimes now, so it is probably better that the bundles are becoming significantly less appealing.

• Baines says:

Humble currently runs a main bundle once every two weeks (with almost all being game bundles), and a smaller weekly bundle once per week. From the start, the weekly bundles duplicated content from previous main bundles.

That’s a pretty fast rate of bundles, if you think of it as around 18-20 different games per two weeks. (One big bundle and two weekly bundles combined.) The total rate of bundle games is even greater if you add in all the other bundle groups, like Bundle Stars, Groupees, Indie Royale, Blink, Indie Gala, and the rest.

Also consider that the backlog of games eager for a bundle appearance has likely vanished. In the early days of bundles, there were plenty of games that were ready to join bundles that had not been in a bundle yet. These days, bundle groups keep including the same games over and over likely because there just aren’t enough new games entering the bundle market.

We see more open repeats. Bundle Stars already put the same game in multiple bundles, but now they have “Reboot” bundles which are composed entirely of repeats. Indie Royale held votes on return bundles. Humble is doing “guest picked” bundles, with last week being Destructoid’s picks and this week being PewDiePie. We also see more immediate duplicates, where a game is in one group’s bundle one week and in another groups bundle the next week.

AngelTear says:

dreadful persona… the exhausting manbaby personality has wailed obscenities over

I approve of this description, and I want to add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFxWbvXFUY

(It’s a review of Goat Simulator, but it also talks about PDP and the concept of being a YT star)

• Smoof says:

Interesting video. Perfectly sums up my feelings on this type of thing.

AngelTear says:

I don’t know if I wish that was real or not.

What’s worse, intelligent evil or stupid honesty?
        Probably stupid honesty.

Now I wish that interview was true >.<

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Thank you for that youtube link. I watched some of his other stuff. The Critical Close-up Metal Gear Solid videos are mind-blowingly good.

• Muzman says:

Don’t h8 him cuz he’s bewtiful! You’re just jealous!

3. stoner says:

The author forgot to include the specific HumbleBundle URL, so: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

4. Ginjarou says:

State of Decay starts off quite good but overall is piss poor :(

• SkittleDiddler says:

State of Decay is a great game, but it does become a bit of a slog near the end, especially if you’ve already played through it multiple times.

Well worth $15 despite that.

strangeloup says:

I would buy this if doing so would cause a rock to be lobbed at PewDiePie’s head.

Or if there were any games I wanted and didn’t already have. But preferably the rock thing.

• Gargenville says:

I’m against violence but if we could have some kind of system where every 10K raised removes a PDP video from Youtube I’d be pretty high up in the top contributors list.

6. roguewombat says:

Aww, and here I clicked through expecting a story about the state of the Humble Store itself.

This story needs more controversy. 4/10

slerbal says:

hehe, i thought the same thing. Honestly I do feel like the Humble Bundles might be in a state of decay… :D

7. hlm2 says:

“exhausting manbaby personality” It seems a bit harsh and unnecessary to call him out personally in this article, especially when this is a charity based thing.

• Serenegoose says:

Yeah, complete tonal misstep there. Not a fan.

• The Random One says:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: harsh & unnecessary

• Pamplemousse says:

Alice is a weak addition to the team; using snark as a crutch for an inability to form any comedic sentiment.

This is just mean Connor… get it together.

• dE says:

Just for the record, I completely disagree with you. I’ve enjoyed Alice’s articles a lot more than those of some of the long time regulars.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I think there’s a distinction between the person and the persona, which I do draw.

• frightlever says:

You do know RPS has an anti-bullying policy, don’t you? You’re new so you probably haven’t read the welcome pack info yet. It’s under the line saying that John gets to write the link-bait articles.

Seriously though, he’s just a schmo making a living by broadcasting to tweens and younger teens. Can’t we all just be better people and let him do his thing without judging him?

• Alice O'Connor says:

When he’s such a visible representatives of video games and an idol for so many of Those Young People, I think it’d be silly not to cast a critical eye.

He certainly has cleaned up his act a lot over the years, but still.

• lautalocos says:

i didn´t know calling someone a manbaby counted as criticism.

next time please save your opinions on internet celebrities for twitter. i have heard enough people saying how they hate/love pewdiepie, and i don´t need that in my day to day videogame news site.

see, that is critiscm

• hlm2 says:

Then perhaps an article on how Youtubers are viewed and celebrated/loathed instead of just deriding him with no further comment.

• kuddles says:

Another option is that there isn’t a rational human being who would consider this article bullying and it’s obvious to an idiot that those complaining about the tone have an axe to grind and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Last night we contacted PewDiePie for comment, and, in what is surely the first salvo in a coming battle of almost-words, he said: “ARR PEE ETH? EXHAUSTEN MANBEBEH? WHADA SHET? I ESS NOT A MANBEBEH suggenfuggenrafflesnafflezaustin’ PEE YOOOOOOO DEEE PAYHHHHHH!!!!”.

More news as we have it.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Given he makes his millions by being a complete cockwipe, I think calling him out on his personality is fair enough.

As for the “it’s for a charity shield”, just no, that’s a piss-weak excuse. And for what it’s worth, I’ve done charity & NGO work for years and cycled through most of the “biggies”. With the exception of the religious scumbags like WorldVision, STC are hands down the most god-awful, money-grabbing sack of shits going (as an organisation, lots of the folk working there are lovely) – their programmes are poorly-planned, wasteful, ignorant of local cultures, practices and conditions, and far more focused on getting big numbers to make them look great than actually doing good work; I’m fairly certain the heads of the org used the HAP and Sphere handbooks as bog paper. Not at all surprised that’s who he picked.

• El_Emmental says:

I don’t see how, because there is a charity involved at some point in the process, it changes anything to the situation.

You should still have negative things to say when there’s a charity involved, criticism doesn’t stop because an organization provides services and/or goods, that taken alone are usually viewed as positive.

Plenty of charities are scamming westerners, plenty of charities are only providing very short term support to populations in need and actually actively preventing any long-term solution to be set up, plenty of charities are forcing their ideology upon the people they are technically helping in a form of neo-colonialism, plenty of charities are exploited by an important share of the population and its politicians to justify not setting up a long term solution to a problem (it’s cheaper and a better feel-good investment to help out 10 000 kids in a very dramatic way, rather than funding (through adequate taxes) a state-run system helping out 300 000 kids for the next 5+ years).

8. lautalocos says:

this article came out as “yeah, he is doing a charity. fuck him”

• Cara Ellison says:

• hlm2 says:

Opinions become an issue when an article is just someone being nasty to someone else, with some news on the side.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I didn’t find anything wrong with this article, but “well don’t read/watch/play it then” is a terrible response to criticism, and a lot of people have rightfully been excoriated for using it when discussing certain topics a little closer to the heart of the RPS staff. Just something to keep in mind.

• Distec says:

I think he made a pretty legit assessment of the article’s tone. “It’s just an opinion and go away” is not the response I expected.

• El_Emmental says:

“RPS is full of opinions, and pretty much only opinions. If you don’t like those opinions, this place is not for you.”

Yeah, but it’s not just opinions. If we wanted that, we could just subscribe to 20-or-so blogs and get our weekly dose of short rants and somewhat-interesting 500 wc blog posts. Everyone did that at some point in their Internet-life, many still do, it’s a perfectly fine activity.

RPS attracted a sizable readership and a community over the years because it was more than a sum of a handful of blogs with their feeds ending up on the same page. The writers “used to” go the extra mile (some going even further and exploring new worlds, not just for their personal satisfaction) and provided something more than just a blog post.

I don’t say it’s no longer the case, but it seems there is less opportunity and less emphasis on these extra miles now: RPS is covering more ground, but at the same time becoming more superficial. Recruiting more writers isn’t going to change the overall shift in the approach.

I think that concept of unguided depth was progressively forgotten, as the mass of news and topic to cover grew (more and more press announcements, changes in the VG industry, indie games, game jams, development stories, alpha crowdfunded projects, currently ongoing social experiments, the whole sexism/sexuality/self-identity topic, and of course the current writers’ personal gaming experiences).

It seems only the “I can give my opinion freely without an editor ‘cleaning’ my articles” part managed to firmly stay, while the initial “I can give my opinion freely without an editor ‘cleaning’ my articles… so I can start talking about something not directly related to the exact subject of the article but could actually be relevant, so I’ll work hard to make connections and associations between the two worlds to get my readers to follow my train of thought and see what they can find themselves, with their own experiences and personal thoughts” was rapidly left in the “… when I’ll have the time” basket.

Here on this article, rather than trying to put her negative perception of PewDiePie in perspective, drawing some parallels with other celebrities (on Youtube, in the mass media, in previous decades), maybe making a little investigative journalism into the Youtube comments of the announcement video (they are rather informative if you see them through the eyes of sociology), rapidly checking the Facebook/Twitter/Reddit/etc posts to see how the Internet seems to react to the news, Alice O’Connor simply informed us that she disliked PewDiePie several times through the short article.

That’s where the criticism resides: repeating the same idea didn’t serve a specific purpose that would be interesting to the community (readers/commenters). It didn’t seem to build up an elaborate comedy or play on words, or allow another segment of the article to resonate. It simply stated that PewDiePie is a Youtube celebrity relying on substandard entertainment.

The concern I have regarding this article is not in the content per se – I see no reason why we should ever prevent an author from sharing their negative, mixed and positive opinions – it is regarding the lack of anything else.

Now I can already hear a very legitimate answer coming: it’s easy to say that, but we can’t write a whole piece on every single news entry, and most of the time we shouldn’t, as there isn’t much to say there.

While I do believe a curious mind can build interesting analyses on practically anything, I understand it’s often important to focus and write a well-researched paper on “important” matters – and maybe the evolution of celebrity online isn’t one of them for the RPS community. Maybe.

That being said, I believe it is the personal responsibility of all writers (and commenters) to remain in control of their public personality and express themselves according to the topic at hand, the place where it is discussed and the people participating to the discussion.

Regarding RPS, I believe it means being conscious of what we are communicating to the other people in the community. If we feel that we, as a writer/commenter, want to communicate our very personal opinion on a subject (e.g. PewDiePie), it is our duty to either elaborate on our idea in details, or simply mention our stance in a concise manner so people are properly informed.

But they shouldn’t not have to endure someone else’s current psychological and emotional momentary inconvenience by being told multiple times the same information.

It does not mean us humans shouldn’t try to find help in a situation of distress – I think everyone should allow friends, foes and strangers to seek help when they truly need it. The main idea here is not turning it into an abusive and imbalanced relation, where one person will repeatedly be supportive against their will, while the other person will start using them a clutch on a regular basis. It’s not healthy for both parties involved.

This is where I address the “you don’t have to read it if you don’t like it” argument. Technically, it is a valid argument. If you do not agree with the way an author express themselves, do not read their articles, everyone is happy, case closed.

However, the actual issue here isn’t the content per se, it is the approach and the relation between the author and the reader – by setting a relation centered on the emotion of each others (hate/love, like/dislike), and not the consciously crafted thoughts we might have, it is changing the way everyone interact with each others in the RPS community (writers and commenters) and can very rapidly prevent us from having fruitful discussions on very difficult and complex subjects (the most obvious here being sexism, the first to shed some light on that problem faced by the RPS community, but that’s not the only one).

I do not believe in the idea that it’s impossible to talk about these subjects. I do believe RPS bears part of the responsibility in these shortcomings. I do believe there is solutions.

Again, I agree that RPS is full of opinion, and should be full of opinion. I heartily approve the room, the freedom given to writers – it’s the only way to let interesting and challenging ideas flourish. But we shouldn’t mistake that freedom for the ability to do whatever we want with the entire situation: every freedom exercised in society has its own purpose and limits, in order to preserve other freedoms and the freedoms of others. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a freedom, it would be a boundless power, the omnipotence of one.

People come and read on RPS because unlike most other websites dedicated to the gaming culture, RPS has consciously allocated a larger amount of freedom to its writers, fully knowing the importance of it for creativity and reflections. But that freedom has a purpose, it isn’t there for nothing – its very existence serves a broader aspiration: creating a connection of trust between the different members of the RPS community, especially between the writers and the readers.

It becomes difficult when that freedom is used by a party in a way that isn’t primarily serving the relation of trust between the members of the RPS community, and is used for a more personal concern instead. It’s not only damaging that trust, it’s also making other members more reluctant to participate in what they thought was a collaborative communication, it makes them reconsider the way they interact with each others. It initiates a change in what these people bring to the RPS community and their level of involvement, ultimately changing the landscape of the RPS community.

The concept of change isn’t good or bad in itself, but it’s not advisable to decline the responsibility of it by ignoring its reasons. I also believe there is much more to lose in operating that shift, even if it increases the quantity of readers, than in refocusing RPS on its connection with the community. The people who read short rants aren’t the same people who read long reflections.

TL;DR: in my opinion (detailed above), there is a difference between a writer’s personal blog and their RPS articles. Unless a writer is going to expand on their personal thoughts to provide an added-value, it should be mentioned concisely once or twice and forgotten. The readership shouldn’t be used as a pedestal for decontextualized personal concerns shared in a self-congratulation way, it’s not there to act as a socially-comforting posse.

TL;DR²: oh we get it, PewDiePie is an idiot and a brat, and millions of people love him. If you’re not going to write seriously on the concept of celebrity on the Internet, could we please move on to something actually interesting, like the games featured in the bundle ?

(well, that was a lot of opinion)

• Hogulus says:

Comment threads are full of opinions, and pretty much only opinions. If you don’t like those opinions, having a comment function on your blog is not for you.

See, I can do it too! And neither of us really contributed anything, which is why responding to criticism (even if you disagree with it) is always better than “lol love it or leave it.”

• Gargenville says:

He’s doing a charity so obviously the man is a saint above and beyond any and all criticism from mere mortals.

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

PewDiePie is ok I guess. The put-on voice was obviously invented to stand out, and you hear it slip from time to time, but yeah. Relatively inoffensive. Lately TotalBiscuit seems to be going through a bitter patch and never seems happy about anything, so most of my video-based vicarious gameplay is coming from Nerd3. He makes me laugh and cheers me up.

• TWChristine says:

I find TB just comes off like an ass most times. I won’t rant about it, but I admit I was glad when Nerd3 passed him in subscribers. I can be a mean person. :( But yea, I much prefer Nerd3, although a lot times I find myself wanting to reach through the screen and grab his keyboard and yell “JUST LET ME DO IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!”

• CookPassBabtridge says:

True true. N3 has calculated comedy incompetence :) His OMSI 2 vid is pretty funny and made me try to buy the game, until Steam wouldn’t let me. Twice.

• TWChristine says:

Oy :/ I’m glad you at least got ETS2!! :)

I’m also glad he did that video the other day about the new Metal Gear game. As campy as the series is, I REALLY enjoy playing them, and was quite looking forward to Ground Zero (until I found out how short it was and the price they were charging), but I haven’t seen anyone else point out the rather disturbing storyline going on there.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

ETS2 is fantastic but I had to stop playing it when I rented a car for fear of turning the wrong way out of a junction (I live in the UK) :) I am about to finish paying off a loan, and my very worst employee, Patrick (who looks like a hitman) seems to be gradually improving, especially since Jean came along and outperformed him in every way despite wearing the most camp floppy hat in the whole of eastern europe.

Also now I am obsessed with trucks and find myself going “ooo its a SCANIA” when I’m walking to work :)

• TWChristine says:

lol I’m always thrown off for a bit when I cross from the continent over to the UK! I’ve considered moving out to Alberta to get a truck driving job (they’re in dire need of them) when I saw they’d pay for your schooling and make three times as much as I’m getting now. I think it’d be pretty neat, and I love driving..just have to watch out for moose! Speaking of which, fauna is something they should add..I remember seeing deer on the tracks of Train Simulator.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I know what you mean. I said that to my Dad, who used to drive trucks. He said he wouldn’t wish that job on his worst enemy, as it was the single most unpleasant and stressful job he had ever had. Like the car driving sim, I think you lose that element of “Oh christ I’m driving 30 tons of unspeakable accident” when its pixels.

EDIT: Sorry to rain on your rolling road though.

• TWChristine says:

Hehe, no worries! My father-in-law drives for a moving company and he loves it (the driving aspect), and in my job I get to talk to a lot of drivers. I guess it all depends on the company and routes too. I would HATE to drive in the city, but I know a lot of people really enjoy the long haul aspect. I think that’s one thing that’s nice about this side of the country, is it’s not as built up so you have nice long wooded stretches of road, which (aside from the moose, which will completely kill you) are wonderful to drive at night which is what I would prefer. I love being alone with my thoughts and the night sky. :)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I am coming to Canananadiana tomorrow, to leave my pewpey life in Scotland, and to become a happy truck driver and not hit meeses.

• dE says:

Oh, definitely. Especially with his pet topics. It sometimes seems like he sticks to “THIS IS NOT 60 FPS THEREFORE WORST GAME EVER MADE”. Which is a pity, because he’s usually got a few interesting points here and there but when I see him go all mad over options menus, I usually backpedal out of it, because the rest of the Review is going to be one hate filled ragefest.
        That’s fine though, easy enough to dodge when that happens.

• TWChristine says:

Ok, so I’ll give myself one little rant. It really annoys me when he says something along the lines (kind of like you’re saying with the FPS) of “And *I’M* running two Titans here!”, “Well on my Titans, this is running great!” Now I’m not sure, but part of me really thinks he probably got those for free from Nvidia or some other company and I just feel it’s kind of a slap in the face to your audience to be going on about how well this game plays for you, when few others even have the ability. I duno..whatever..

• dE says:

I always wrote that off as vanity and pride. He’s proud of those things, presicely because they were expensive beyond believe. But I definitely get what you mean. It’s pretty funny watching the reactions of the other podcast members whenever he goes on a bragging spree.
            Still, I watch his videos, so I’m enabling that I guess. I really should check out nerd3 though, heard lots about him but never got around to it.

10. piesmagicos says:

Man…all this hate for a man who raised a half million for a charity in what? A week or two? Including violence toward him in the comments? Come on people…i thought RPS was against bullying…really not cool. When was the last time RPS has leveraged its relative popularity for anything more than link trafficking toward its own contributors game? While I do not follow PDP terrible close, i do see him pushing a charity or two every other month or so and raising a decent chunk of change each time.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

RPS is, as a general rule, against bullying until the writers decide to preach to the elitist, ironically brainless choir, which happens whenever someone you might have heard about on the internet goes to the toilet.

11. crinkles esq. says:

Hmm, with a title like “State of Decay in Humble Bundle”, I thought I was about to be treated to an interesting thinkpiece on the dilution of quality in that indie sale stalwart. I guess it goes without mentioning that I’ve never heard of State of Decay. But I still wish that think piece was real, and this “PewDiePie” bundle was not.

• Jalan says:

None dare speak against the holy Humble, “because charity”.

Joke aside, I find myself wishing the same.

• Shadowcat says:

Of course the decay started the moment they started selling DRM-laden games. But that’s old news; and the main “humble bundle” releases have remained DRM-free, so it’s definitely not all doom. In short: “I’m not angry… I’m just disappointed.”

12. Frank says:

I didn’t realize I had Garry’s Mod until I checked Steam just now. I think they must have sold it to everyone on Earth already.

13. Slabs says:

I noticed KSI is involved with this Save The Children charity drive as well. I’m assuming they’ve just gone by relative popularity and not done any investigation into who they are hiring.

14. HisDivineOrder says:

I feel like an old timer now.

Back in mah day, sonny, we had humble bundles that were actually Pay What You Want where you got most of the games. This was before they started making obscene bundles that cost the regular price for the last gated game, before they started making it so you had to beat the average to get the games added later, before they kept regurgitating the same games over and over across multiple bundles! Remember when they used to add an older bundle to the newer bundle?

Alas, them days be past. Now Humble’s grown too big fer their britches. They got greedy. They wants the moneys.

Hopefully, some new bundle will come along and put them in their place. Not like all the pretenders out there right now.

• Jalan says:

They’ve always been a business/company first and a champion of the indie dev and charity scenes second. To think that they don’t like money like the rest of every other business that wants to stay afloat is a little zany.

15. vivlo says:

Releasing that kind of judgement on what seems only like an internet persona might be harmful for that persona’s person, this is something that should be taken into account before writing on such a widespread audience oulet – this TotalBiscuit reddit comment for the records : http://tinyurl.com/nujz729
    That been said, it’s also kind of fair to raise awareness on the vacuity of some LP’s to some young audience which doesn’t have fully fledged critic judgement. But maybe in a more gentle manner ?
    Imho HumbleBundle are still the best indie bundle out there – they might drop in quality sometimes, but that’s because they do so much stuff now (store, weekly sales). I think the frequency of incredible quality bundles is more or less the same as it was before. Or, it is decaying in not such a big speed ; but decay was a necessity after that incredible start they had.

my 2 cents