Hack ‘N’ Slash’s Early Access Trailer Is Just The Greatest

By Nathan Grayson on April 12th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Just watch.

Double Fine’s Hack ‘N’ Slash piqued my curiosity when I saw (and video-ed) its ultra-clever hacking antics last month, and soon it will give you the keys to its sparkling kingdom of 1s and 0s. Since it’s a videogame, that of course means a trailer is in order, lest people just stand in place, slack-jawed, like racers who’ve yet to hear a starting gun. In the modern gaming world, we are lost without trailers. They tell us where to go, what to buy, how to live. It’s a chilling thought, but look! A funny video on the Internet and huh what was I even talking about again?

Yep, that’s pretty much exactly how hacking works.

Despite being billed as an Early Access launch trailer, however, Hack ‘N’ Slash, somewhat mystifyingly, still won’t hit Steam for another few weeks. Wrote Double Fine:

“Hack ‘N’ Slash, our upcoming puzzle adventure game about hacking and reverse engineering, is just weeks away from its Steam Early Access release! The game will be available at launch on PC, Mac, and Linux for $14.99.”

Inexpensive, innovative, and (n)hopefully really good. There’s huge potential in the concept, and having it run the Early Access gauntlet makes a lot of sense, too. I mean, Hack ‘N’ Slash’s core mechanic centers around discovering new and inventive ways to break the game, so it stands to reason that once players start cracking it open Double Fine will be able to design even more devious puzzles to take advantage of player-uncovered loopholes.

So that’s pretty exciting. Between this, Watch_Dogs, and Transistor, it’s looking like May will be the month of cyberpunk hack ‘n’ slashes, in pretty much every possible sense of those words.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Tim Scha.. Chafeeu… shayfur ….. TIM: Thank you for resurrecting appalling 80’s kids ads.
    I’m off to go and smell the PowerGlove. Turned up to 11. That would be BAD. With a VW badge hanging round its neck. And dudes that look like ladies. And this

• Watership Alan says:

Oh God, yeah, yeah. Fascinating creatures, though. Looks like a lady, but really it’s a man. I don’t find them attractive, it’s just confusing. I don’t suppose you’ve got any army stories about them?

RedViv says:

Rad.

dangermouse76 says:

This looks wizard !

4. MartinWisse says:

Ace.

5. Killergran says:

I really love the double fine videos. Always filled with humor and well executed.

• staberas says:

From the pic i thought they used the actor from NCIS lol

• Armante says:

Guy with the cap is the programmer who came up with the idea for Hack n Slash during Amnesia Fortnight 2012.
        Guy with the glasses is the coder who made the engine that drives Broken Age.

Sorry, it’s 2am and I can’t remember their names.

• neolith says:

Brandon Dillon and Oliver Franzke.

• Killergran says:

This is one thing I love about the videos. It’s just people from the company. And it always feels more or less honest. It never feels like the hype machine commercials like most “dev diaries” or trailers.

Ok, I admit it. I’m a DF fan to the bone.

If only their games were as awesome as their advertising.

6. subedii says:

I think this is riffing off of the original Zelda advert.

So 80’s. So very, very 80’s.

• Armante says:

Makes perfect sense. Brandon Dillon, the guy in the cap who came up with the idea for this game for Amnesia Fortnight 2012, is a huge fan of the old Zelda games.

7. KwisatzHaderach says:

Loving the Human Revolution reference that is the intro music.

8. Shadowcat says:

I have no nostalgia for whatever that was referencing.

9. PopeRatzo says:

This may be the first game for which “Early Access” is not a bogus attempt by the developers to get away with never finishing a game.

Has there ever been an “Early Access” game that was actually completed?

• Acorino says:

Minecraft was finished before there even was Steam Early Access.
      Otherwise: Don’t Starve, Arma 3.

Can’t think of anything else.

• Shuck says:

To be fair, Early Access hasn’t even been around that long, so far. So it’s not surprising that there are a lot of games that haven’t yet been finished. That said, I do expect that a number of games on Early Access will end up not seeing a lot of substantial changes or additions, with promised features not materializing, etc. The major reason why many games are appearing there is because, ultimately, they don’t have enough money to finish development. A certain number of developers, therefore, will find that the revenue from being on Steam still isn’t sufficient to fulfill their plans – it’s sadly inevitable.

Martel says:

The singer reminds me of the character Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds.

11. Shooop says:

I’ve not been that impressed by Double Fine (except the brilliant humor of Brütal Legend – but not the core game).

…Until now. This looks really unique and fun.

12. Acorino says:

Sooo…since the Double Fine documentary is up for sale now, does the hivemind consider reviewing it? It’s an unusually in-depth and super awesome look at video game development, after all. ;) Highlight in my opinion is the episode which shows how the decision was reached to split Broken Age into two parts.

13. Matt says:

That was some extremely sloppy soldering at the 0:06 mark.