The RPS Bargain Bucket: Convention Season

By Cassandra Khaw on April 12th, 2014 at 1:30 pm.

Ah, conventions. While a reason for giddy exuberance among gamers big and small, they’re not unlike games journalism’s answer to The Labors of Hercules. Seriously, these stop being fun after the fifteenth interview of the day. Trust me on this. Brr. Anyway. With everyone else on the floor and alit with excitement about upcoming games, this is probably the perfect time to talk about discounted games. Old games, new games, games you’ve probably never heard about. They might lack the razzle and dazzle of upcoming games but at least you can play them now. Either way, the Bargain Bucket is rattling with cheap bargains for you. Today’s plushie is brought to you by Angel Tear and the number 12.

10000000
$1.24/£0.79/€0.89
At first glance, 10000000 is unlikely to impress. It’s a weird Bejeweled-resembling chimera built up out of role-playing game elements, retro-looking action and puzzles. It was also the little game that could. TouchArcade’s Eli Hodapp went hopping mad over the tiny game, something which would later trigger a landslide of good publicity. But why did he? Well, read this review and find out.

Be Mine 12
$3.5/£2.09/€2.52
I think I might have mentioned the Be Mine 12 bundle on Groupees last week but bear with me. There’s a reason it’s being brought up again. Thanks to Groupees’ current “Dollar Day” promotion, anyone who picks up a Be Mine 12 bundle within the appropriate time span will be able to gift another one to someone else – if they’re willing to fork out an additional $1, that is. The full Be Mine 12 bundle consists of an interesting collection of indie games and music, including Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves and Half Minute Hero.

Sanctum 2
$1.49/£1.19/€1.39
While the sequel to Coffee Stain Studios’ tower defense/first-person shooter might not be the Internet darling that Goat Simulator is, it’s still a pretty rad game. Unlike its predecessor, Sanctum 2 features four characters, boss battles, and a dash of role-playing mechanics. It also comes with a wider range of weapons, towers and enemy types. Most importantly, Sanctum 2 is currently 90% off which is, well, a heck of a discount.

BundleBandits’s Desura Bundle 1
$1.5/£0.9/€1.08
Another day, another bundle site. Bundle Bandits looks to be the latest in a long line of similar platforms. Judging from the current selection of bundles, the people behind BundleBandits might have a taste for the obscure. I don’t recognize any of the games in the Desura Bundle 1 but they look like they might be interesting enough to investigate. (P.S: You should probably triple check before handing sensitive information over to the website. Just in case, y’know?)

Alone in the Dark
$2.39/£1.43/€1.72
Here’s a question: how well do horror games age? Vintage scares have always felt like depreciating resources to me. Blocky, polygonal monsters might have been scary twenty years ago but in today’s world of high-resolution photorealism, they can come off a little silly. At least, that’s just my stance on the matter. Putting that aside, it’s hard to deny that Alone in the Dark was an absolutely terrifying game and that it’s currently going for a good price at GOG.com. As an added bonus, GOG.com will throw in both Alone in the Dark 2 and Alone in the Dark 3 if you purchase the original game during this promotional period.

Also of note

Pirate Bay Bundle – Free
I’m sure no one here has even have the foggiest as to what Pirate Bay might be. On the off-chance that you might, say, want to take a walk on the illicit side, you may want to consider checking out this legal, 101-game strong Pirate Bay bundle. Assuming the site isn’t blocked by your ISP. (Warning: Some of the ads you might see on the site are rather NSFW.)

Battlefield 2142 Deluxe Edition-$0.99/£0.59/€0.71
While I might not be a fan of the franchise, it’s hard to resist the 93% discount Amazon has stapled on this old, old game. Sure, the servers might now be ghost towns haunted only by the dreams of its fans but that shouldn’t stop you from spending less than a dollar in the name of curiosity, right?

StoryBundle – Pay at least $12/£7.17/€8.64 to get everything.
Because I failed to update last week’s post with mention of the StoryBundle, I’m including it in this week’s round-up. The current StoryBundle features a menagerie of video games-related titles. Of note are the 11 issues of SCROLL, which was a magazine that explored the convoluted history of games.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hurray its that cat :) Does she have a name yet, Angel Tear?

AngelTear says:

After a lot of thought, I’ve decided to name her Cassandra *o*

Meow <3

• Cassandra Khaw says:

.. I .. I am completely charmed by that. <3 <3 <3 <3

AngelTear says:

Well, as strange as it may sound, I have a lot of trouble doing, buying and otherwise surrounding myself with things I like, and if it wasn’t for your BB I probably wouldn’t have had the courage to buy her; and although she’s not very big she’s my first plushie of that size, so it’s only right that I name her after you, Cassandra ^_^

• TWChristine says:

Yaaaaay cat! And yaaaaay name! :D

Gap Gen says:

Get a stuffed crow next and call it Khaw.

• TWChristine says:

That reminds me of one of the Deep Thoughts, “‘The crows are calling my name,’ thought Khaw.”

2. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

2142 is such a game. It hasn’t got fewer problems than other battlefield games, but it certainly had more imagination.

• hypercrisis says:

Isn’t 2142 one of the games that will be unplayable now Gamespy is down? I expect a lot of deals on these games now everyone is clearing their stock.

Also, no offence intended, but these are some crummy ‘bargains.’

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I won’t comment on anything else you’ve said but Gamespy servers, I think, are going down May 31st. They’re not dead yet, Jim. Just on critical life support.

• HadToLogin says:

EA said they are planning to save some GameSpy-games, including whole Battlefield series.

Or was it only Battlefield series? One way or another, this one is quite safe.

• SkittleDiddler says:

There’s no complete list as of yet, but they claimed Battlefields 2, Bad Company 2, and 2142 were all going to be transitioned to a different service for sure.

• TWChristine says:

Does it have a singleplayer (bots I imagine) side or is it just MP? I pretty much only played 1942 that way, and was vaguely interested in 2142 when it came out but was too busy with Mechwarrior at the time. That price though is hard to pass up..

Martel says:

That’s a good question and one I’d like to know the answer for as well. For that price I’d get it for singleplayer only.

• BobbyFizz says:

Single player skirmishes, no actual “campaign” though.

3. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Yep – it’s fantastic fun. A steal at $0.99.

This region restriction/variation on digital goods really is getting tiresome though, eh? I know I could fake an address yadda yadda – but what a faff.

4. Pazguato says:

Alone in the dark 2 and 3 have always been included with the original in GOG ¬¬

And, yes, it’s still one of the most terryfing games of all time. Try to play it alone in your house at night. Great BSO, and outstanding game. One of the few true classics.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Well, I feel silly.

… and I don’t want to. I just outgrew those nightmares. D:

Andy_Panthro says:

I always thought the voice-acting and music were great for the time too.

It’s a shame the rest of the games in the series failed to quite capture the same feel as the first, but perhaps that is due to my preference for Lovecraftian horror elements rather than the themes of the other games.

• Golden Pantaloons says:

And probably the only video game ever to actually understand what the Cthulhu mythos is all about.

Yes I’m looking at you, Dark Corners Of the Earth. One does not simply fight Elder Gods with firearms.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

You fight them with A-bombs. That’s why we should carpet nuke Antarctica and the entire South Pacific seafloor.
        And send James Cameron and a SEALs team back down the Mariana Trench abyss with a few warheads just to be sure.

• Jurple says:

“Fifteen minutes later, Chtulhu reforms. He’s still awake, still pissed off, and now he’s radioactive.”

• Wulfram says:

You ram them with boats?

• belgand says:

I never got that. I played Alone in the Dark at release when I was in middle school and just starting to learn about Lovecraft, but it never scared me. I mean, it was often unreasonably difficult, but even back then the graphics were terribly blocky and usually only suggested the object they intended to represent.

It got the mythos right, especially the ending, but I don’t see how I would have been scared playing it.

5. Aiming Dave says:

Be warned! 10000000 is insanely addictive. I was tired of the Bejeweled/Puzzle Quest genre, but this one grabbed me by the naughty bits big time. I’ve gotten to the end game four times and I still just reset the game and keep on truckin’.

• mechabuddha says:

10000000 is awesome. I hate Bejeweled. I hate match-3 games in general. But I love 10000000. Instead of switching adjacent tiles, you grab and drag entire rows and columns. You need to be aware of the entire board at all times. It also plays at the speed and intensity of Tetris, giving it an entirely different feel from Bejeweled-clones. Furthermore, different enemies require different matches. Some enemies are resistant to physical attacks, so you need to match magic wands. Others require sword matches. Chests and locked doors require key matches.

TL;DR 10000000 isn’t just a Bejeweled clone, it has some excellent unique game mechanics and I love it.

• drygear says:

The music is incredibly catchy, too. One of the tunes reminds me of of the keyboard line of New Order’s Perfect Kiss.

AngelTear says:

My other comment is in the limbo of awaiting moderation, and if the other comments are anything to go by, it’ll never come out of there.

Anyway, Alec already mentioned it in the review, but I wanted to point out that Rehersals and Returns is only 1$ instead of 4$, for 5 more hours.
    You can find the WIT here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/09/cat-and-the-coup-sequel/

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You may know this already but if you post three links or more you go into auto moderation. It’s probably ok if you make separate posts / reply to yourself

7. pepperfez says:

“they’re not unlike games journalism’s answer to The Labors of Hercules”
    I look forward to next week’s suspiciously realistic plush Nemean Lion.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I must make John cough up a photo of that lion for next week..

8. ArtyFishal says:

Steam’s weekly sale includes the excellent and thrilling Strike Vector at 50% off. The original price may have been too high, but it’s a great game for $12.49. http://store.steampowered.com/app/246700/

Also, buy 2142. Best of the Battlefields!

9. gwathdring says:

I very much like the “cute things in buckets” plan for header images. :D

10. mbp says:

Just a heads up. The story bundle is excellent but not every book is available in every territory: the Minecraft book is not available for me. Read the small print.

11. Bedeage says:

System Shock 2 is still pretty scary to me – particularly those early levels. Even HL1 has some creepy sections to it.

12. Shooop says:

Battlefield 2142 servers are alive, but be prepared to be completely outmatched:

13. Shooop says:

And as for horror games aging, I still reguard Silent Hill 2 and 3 as the best ones ever made.

I would have added this to my previous post but the RPS computers appear to be choking terribly and won’t open the editor.

14. twaitsfan says:

The Be Mine bundle also has “Echo of the Wilds” which I would argue is worth its full price of $10. But for 3.50 along with everything else, you’d have to be mindless to pass it up.

Wow that sucked.

wyrm4701 says:

I’m sure no one here has even have the foggiest as to what Pirate Bay might be

Assuming the site isn’t blocked by your ISP.

Impolitic to speak of, officially censored by several leading governments of the free world. It’d be nice to be able to discuss software piracy again.