Hack And Class: Bound By Flame Gets Fighty

By Nathan Grayson on April 14th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Hey, don't push me! That's rude.

I don’t know how to feel about Bound By Flame. I mean, it looks spectacularly competent in all ways, which I realize is something of an oxymoron. Let me explain: it’s swollen – nearly pregnant – with pomp and bombast, but I can’t really see what makes it truly special or standout. Developer Spiders’ previous somewhat comically titled role-player, Mars: War Logs, was the same way, except then it turned out to be not so good. If nothing else, though, Bound By Flame‘s combat looks pretty good. You can watch it below. Also, I just skimmed my own paragraph and saw the phrase “pregnant spiders,” and now I need to go find a new brain because this one is ruined.

Combat will apparently be geared toward challenge – not gracefully cake-walking/pirouetting through swarms of mindless pincushions – so you’ll have to smartly flip between class stances in order to avoid lopsided beatings.

It does, however, have a sort of hack ‘n’ slash-y cadence to it, so maybe don’t expect the methodical swinging and sledging of, say, a Dark Souls – even if the general style and tone of the world seem a bit similar.

Bound By Flame will be out next month, which is, er, sooner than I was expecting. Mars: War Logs came out right around the same time last year, so it’s quite a quick turnaround. Here’s hoping Spiders learned some lessons last time around and applied them. Fast.

, .

1. Pich says:

The combat looks straight out of a MMO: no weight or feedback at all.

• nrvsNRG says:

I wish TESO had this combat. God its bad.

• UncleLou says:

Yeah – I won’t say the combat looks as good as the Souls games or Dragon’s Dogma, but it does look a million times better than the combat in any MMO I played (the last being Guild Wars 2 though, admittedly).

• Wowbagger says:

It looks like the poor inbred child of dragon’s dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur to me.

• ruins72 says:

yep, those animations were some kind of terrible which is a shame because I liked some of those enemy designs.

2. Gravy100 says:

The combat looks pretty woeful, attack animations where you slide up against an enemy while it plays out? There’s no weight behind anything here, and it’s kind of annoying how they’re ripping off (and failing) the dark souls aesthetic. Cheap.

3. nrvsNRG says:

Well, I think it looks like it will be pretty good played with a pad. It does depend on how much depth there really is to skill development, but by the sounds of what they are boasting it may have it.

4. LazyAssMF says:

Well, i think this game looks great. Havent played any good proper RPG in a while so here’s to hoping they don’t fuck it up. :)

5. Geebs says:

I bet the skeleton thing is debating whether to kill the player, or have tea and biscuits first. Only without the biscuits.

6. MistaJah says:

Looks like a budget version of Dragon’s Dogma (sans pawns and awesome areas and creatures), not Dark Souls.

7. Keyrock says:

I’m glad they stuck with hilariously bad voice over guy. That voice over is a masterclass of cheese.

I actually liked Mars: War Logs quite a bit, but, for whatever reason, I have little interest in this game. I might still get it if it turns out to be something special, though.

8. Trondur says:

Doesn’t really appeal to me, reminds me of a mix between Dragon’s Dogma and what Two Worlds promised to be.

9. Darth Gangrel says:

This game reminded me of Lords of the Fallen, another game that is heavy on medieval melee fighting, which has a stronger Dark Souls vibe, but no release date other than 2014. I’m glad this wasn’t that game, because now we have *two* games that are in a setting/genre I very much find interesting.

10. Viroso says:

When I hear grown ass men talking about dual wielding, skill trees, deadly combos in a serious tone it makes it all seem so childish. It’s kinda like when I listen to some suit in a big video game conference talking about how you kill people and do super poweful things in front of an audience.

I blame Rockstar for starting this trend with trailers.

11. Ahtaps says:

“…but also extremely tactical.” *Gets knocked over, then cuts to button mash combo attack*

I’m excited about where this game *could* go, but so far it looks like Kingdoms of Amalur with some Dragon’s Dogma elements thrown in. While KoA wasn’t a bad game, it just had that same feeling of button mash combos with a special thrown in here and there and backstep elsewhere. It’s a shame it looks so mediocre, I’m really hoping more people try to experiment with the DD, DaSO formulas as they are where hack’n'slashes need to borrow from most in my opinion.

12. ozzy.ze says:

Wow! This looks so amazingly generic.