Final Death: World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

By Alice O'Connor on April 14th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

The long dark night of the soulless

In the eight years since CCP Games started their World of Darkness MMO, we’ve barely heard more than tales about the adaptation of White Wolf’s supernatural RPG universe, whispers in the night from mouths awfully close to our necks. It was to be a sandbox world where vampires battled and politicked for power, where everyone started as a human and theoretically could stay so, where even vampires might suffer permadeath, and where we’d have as much fun dressing up as in any goth club. These plans and murmurs may be all we ever get, as today CCP officially cancelled it.

The team had been cut down several times over the years and it was clearly never the EVE Online creators’ top priority, but now the World of Darkness MMO is properly dead. Not undead. Just gone.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson’s described the decision to cancel it as “one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make.” He continued:

To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.

As recently as February, CCP teasingly told us that we might see something of World of Darkness at this year’s Fanfest in May. Alas, it’s not to be, though it does sound like the game wasn’t working out quite like they or we had hoped. It certainly was promising an awful lot.

56 people have been laid off at CCP’s Atlanta studio, though it’ll remain open with those remaining working on the EVE universe. For the first time in eight years, EVE is all that CCP is working on, which Pétursson said “will put us in a stronger position moving forward.” It may be sensible, given that the company lost $21.3 million last year. Of course, the EVE universe includes VR dogfighting game EVE: Valkyrie and console FPS DUST 514 as well as EVE Online.

Here’s the most we’ve publicly seen of World of Darkness, an in-engine graphics test from the 2012 EVE Fanfest:

If you’d like keep the game alive in your memory, imagining what might have been, CCP talked about it a fair bit at the 2012 Fanfest and showed off more-in game tech at 2013′s (as well as a brief cinematic demo CCP tried awfully hard to stop anyone leaking). Don’t torture yourself about things that won’t happen, dear. Even vampires stop brooding eventually.

, , , .

1. Cooper says:

In all honesty I’d given up on this. It sounded interesting, but it’s been nothing more than the odd murmuring for years now.

I know MMOs take a long time to make, but never amongst that murmuring was any real detail given on how the game would actually play. No real sense that this was a game where design decisions had been made rather than a neat set of aesthetics and ideas.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

I sure hope this isn’t the Final Death for the video game franchise, because I can’t tell you how much I loved Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (and VtM: Redemption, to a lesser extent). At least the modding community is still strong.

• Turkey says:

The only way I’d ever get excited for a Vampire game again is if they handed it over to Obsidian.

• Darth Gangrel says:

And then they’d be forced to rush it out before the game is done (just like Troika, just like KotOR 2), which means we’d need another batch of unofficial patches before it’s more fun to play than annoyingly buggy. Heh, it’d be worth it in the long run, though.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Holy shit YES.

• Ghoulie says:

I would pay all my money for that. All of it.

I’d be just as happy if they were to develop their own modern-horror IP and use that for an RPG though.

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

As I mentioned below, they were probably about to do that.

This was back in the dark days when the Illuminati had decided everything had to be made into an MMO. These days everything must be online and F2P – either MOBAs or for iOS. ;)

• adamsorkin says:

While Obsidian wouldn’t make me unhappy, I’d rather see the Deus Ex: HR team at Eidos Montreal take a crack at it. While the game world was a bit static, I think they’ve gotten closer to Bloodlines’ open ended gameplay in a very atmospheric settings.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Um. No. Why don’t you at least go for Arkane, who have members of the original Deus Ex team instead of the pale imitation from Eidos, and who are probably keen to work on something unsettling in the vein of Arx Fatalis.

• adamsorkin says:

Because I don’t, I don’t know? You’re certainly more than welcome to disagree, but it’s my preference.

I enjoyed Dishonored a lot – in terms of completing each level, it was certainly open-ended and the narrative was interesting enough. However, I thought DX:HR offered more agency in terms of roleplaying, and maybe more variety in play-style for the action bits (I’d probably give Dishonored an edge in polish/mechanics, but it’s been awhile). It might not have been the original Deus Ex, but for me, it evoked what I enjoyed in Bloodlines moreso than what I’ve played from Arkane.

• malkav11 says:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was intended to be at least partially an RPG. Dishonored wasn’t. So any disparity on that grounds is, I think, much more likely to be down to design intent and not capability on the part of developers.

• Iskhiaro says:

I truly hope so too. VtM: Bloodlines was, in my opinion, the best RPG and possibly best game of all time, despite the unplayability of its original incarnation (pre modding). I really, really want a successor in the same wonderful world and hope this happens soon!

• Diatribe says:

I completely agree. The Santa Monica part of VtM:B was the best video game experience I have ever had, and actually supported any type of play style you choose.

• InternetBatman says:

Good lord this. I’d love to see a masquerade game in the Pillars of Eternity engine (or just have Obsidian do a dark urban fantasy game).

3. remon says:

CCP seems more and more like a bad company that got lucky with their game. Eve online was just a fluke.

• Tuor says:

I agree. I think EVE is basically lightning in a bottle for CCP: I doubt it’ll happen again.

• jellydonut says:

Eve Online is not even a good game. It’s just an ambitious game unprecedented in scale and player freedom.

The only reason Eve is popular is because no other company has the balls to actually develop a competing game. Everyone else wants to make concessions to accommodate the lowest bar instead of chasing a niche.

When a competent developer actually finds the testicular fortitude to launch a single-shard open-world no-holds-barred sandbox MMO, CCP is fucked. Unfortunately I don’t imagine they’ll get competition any time soon.

• FireStorm1010 says:

Sorry man but i think you dont know what you are talking about saying ” Eve isnt a good game”.
        IT may not be to your taste, but its one of the greatest games ever.

The freedom of players , the ever evolving balance of ships, the tactical possibilites, finally the so beatiful art and graphics + all players in one universe. I think its just unqestionably a great achievemnt , even if its simply not for you.

I think its the only game in which a 2 month character can be a real asset in pvp with veterans… The power creep thats from waht i know in all other games, is in abig way very cleverly balanced here.

• Nenjin says:

“One of the greatest games ever” is easily as much of an exaggeration as “not a good game.”

On topic, I’m disappointed but not really surprised. I’m more surprised by realizing they started on it 8 years ago.

• FireStorm1010 says:

For me it isnt exxageration. All other mmorpgs i seen around are more or less glorified single player games with coop. Eve is the only one with a freedom that allows players to shape the world. All 0.0 is up for grabs and you can do whatever you want there.

More over , all other mmorpgs seem to be all about getting better and better loot and leveling. Eve is the only one where yuo can beat a 5 years older player with a 1 year account, or beat a super expensive ship with a much cheaper ones. Its in big part about tactics. Yes skills and good modules help, but only that much.

So yea i repeat with all seriousness Eve is imho one of the greatest games ever created.

• ukpanik says:

“the ever evolving balance of ships”

You know why it is ever evolving. It’s because they know getting the perfect ship setup is very addictive. Which is why every month or so, they tweak it, so players have to start over again getting that perfect setup.
          Though why they want a perfect setup when there is very little action, I don’t know.
          Eve is 70% chatting/forum war, 25% ship tweaking 5% gameplay.

• FireStorm1010 says:

I disagree. Stuff is rebalanced because players find new unbalanced setups and tweaks are needed to maintain balance/fun. The most powerful setups with officer mods are as powerful today as there were all the time.

You know i got a freind who plays Age of Conan, and there is no balancing there at all from what i understand. I really think you should apreciate Eve here.

• briktal says:

If I polled all the people I played EVE with about what EVE is, the most common response would probably be “a bad game.”

• jellydonut says:

I have two accounts. When I say I think Eve is a bad game, I mean mechanically and technically a bad game, and I mean it. I’m not an outsider saying it’s a bad game because wah wah no avatars or wah wah people get ganked. It’s a bad piece of software and its mechanics are getting stale after 10 years of tweaked dials and minor touchup.

• Vin_Howard says:

Saying the game “mechanically” seems a bit odd. From what I played, they work perfectly fine. Sure, they might have gotten “stale,” but any game would get “stale” if you played it for 10 years. And if you are arguing that the mechanics are “outdated,” then you are equivalently calling all old games bad.

And explain by what you mean “technically” bad? If you mean by tech, then I would say that Eve Online is better, considering how games have regressed on that level as they have becomed obsessed with graphics.

• toxic avenger says:

Well count another commenter in your camp. I’ve played for five years: the social scene and the playerbase is what draws people, not so much the game. The framework for the game is so simple (mining, trading, hell even fighting mechanics) and the setting allows so little in terms of scenery and environment that if the game were set anywhere else people would be demanding their money back. This is all being said with the same mouth that admits that some of the best time in online games have come about because of CCP and Eve. It’s just the hair thin framework has little to nothing to do with what made the game fun. (This was written horribly, I hope it makes sense).

• Deadly Sinner says:

If Eve has nothing to do with why it’s fun, then everyone could easily have just as much fun without playing it. Yet they don’t.

• FireStorm1010 says:

How can you say Eve is bad techincally , when its a game which enables to play with all the players in one world, and allows battles with thousands of players? Plz show me any game that comes even near to such accomplichments on the technical side.Because imho they are wizards tech accomplichement wise.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

@Deadly Sinner
            I actually have far more fun reading about the mass battles etc that go on than I do actually playing it. Playing it goes like this for me. I enjoy the hell out of it for a couple of weeks because “hey I’m in space, this kicks ass”. Then I realise the amount of time needed to achieve anything in the game is far more than I want to dedicate to any one video game and start to hate it because the gameplay is actually pretty dull.

• Tams80 says:

I looked in to EVE a while ago and all I could find was either glorified spreadsheets and grinding; such as mining which looked incredibly boring. I could spend hours playing an older version of RuneScape, which I can tell you was almost completely grinding; but it seemed far more interesting than what EVE showed.

• FireStorm1010 says:

hmm>? What about pvp , alle the 0.0 for conquering? On the pve side what about runing missions, exploration, faction warfare?
            Dont know how you checked it

• Yglorba says:

I don’t think it’s a matter of companies not “having the balls” to do it (lots have tried); the issue is that the market can support exactly one game like that.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Eve has grown at a steady rate over the years which is great for them and the playerbase, but I guarantee there are lots of people that have tried it that didn’t stay (myself and everyone I know that’s played it). It is very niche and even in more accessible mainstream MMO’s (i.e. WoW and it’s clones) we’ve seen games struggle to keep numbers after launch as everyone goes back to WoW because they have a community and a whole bunch of progression in that game.
          Anything trying to compete with Eve faces the same problem. People won’t adopt the new game en-masse because they have put all of this time and effort into Eve, the people that do go to the new game probably play for a month or two then switch back. When we are talking about only half a million subscribers as your potential playerbase, trying to make a new Eve is just a bad idea, the game has to be SIGNIFICANTLY better to replace Eve, gambling on that is not worth it.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Everyone take a minute to digest these sentences.

• FireStorm1010 says:

You cant say imho “Eve online was just a fluke”, because its ammorgp that had dozens of expansions, so its more or less like 5-10 AAA games imho. So you might say ” CCP sucks, they only made 8 awesome games” /

Havent played Dust so cant say about this .

They did try to do to much at the same time , and gambled to hard on their success. But i guess being a bit dreamy and ambitious isnt such a crime for me

• Baines says:

EVE ended up in the WOW position (or Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto or *insert game here*). It’s not bullet proof, but short of some major mistakes, it won’t be dethroned by anything less than a much better game.

EVE is even luckier. It doesn’t face the competition of those other games. It also arguably has a stronger hold on its players, making it less likely that enough will pull up stakes to move to a new game to build said game into real competition.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Maybe it doesn’t face much competition because that kind of game is incomprehensibly difficult to make, which suggests their achievement is all the more impressive.

• Shuck says:

I don’t think CCP are a bad studio – if they were, they wouldn’t have been able to grow Eve like they have done. But I’d say that almost all studios that come out with hit games have been lucky – it is, unfortunately, necessary for a popular studio-made game. Making games is hard, and just having people who are good at their jobs isn’t enough. A decent studio will come out with a hit game if it’s lucky, a bad studio, with a great deal of luck, will put out a bad game with a few bright spots.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I think Eve, despite the fact that I can never play it for more than a month without getting bored, is a fantastic game. I’d never call CCP bad but some of the stuff they do is decidedly odd, you have to admit that. I don’t understand why they made Dust 514 console only when the only players who give a toss about the Eve universe play on PC, that is baffling to me as I think there are a lot of people like me who like Eve and also play PC FPS games, I’d play Dust for sure, how many of these people play shooters on console? I just don’t see the crossover.
        Then the whole debacle that has been World of Darkness, this must have been a huge loss for them that they didn’t handle well. People were signing the death knell for this game for a while now, it takes them until now to admit it?.
        Also making a VR only dogfighting game also seems quite odd given that we have no idea how well Oculus Rift will take off and how much potential market that game will even have.

4. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Well that sucks. Not surprising though, since it’s been in such a diffuse state for so long. I’d be very interested in reading about the development process and the reasons things turned out like they did.

5. HyenaGrin says:

Ugh. This is disappointing. I’d been looking forward to this as an MMO I’d actually want to play for more than a month. CCP’s traditional focus on player agency to form gameplay seemed like a natural fit for a WoD MMO.

I have often brought it up as being the kind of MMO that might finally grab me.

It’s a sad day.

6. Emeraude says:

Not unsurprising, but really disappointing. One of the few MMOs I was still looking forward to – even if I didn’t plan to play, the base design – what little we had seen of it – was incredibly interesting and promising.

Too bad.

7. King_Rocket says:

This was going to be the First MMO I ever played. Love WoD and Vampire especially, this is sad news.

8. Cramdown says:

Sorry to hear this. Was never a fan of Eve, but the combination of that player-agency gameplay in a WoD world always seemed appetizing. I’m disappointed I won’t get a chance to play this someday. I loved the potential.

9. Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

I’m very sorry for the people who lost their jobs, hope they bounce back quickly. I’m also sorry for the people who were genuinly excited for the MMO. A role playing/LARP oriented MMO sounded like something I certainly wanted to give a try. But ever since the text driven online games, the grindy MUDs were order of magnitues more popular than the MUSH/MOOs. And griefing were a problem even back then.

That said, I’m still a bit sore that CCCP canned the planned single player Obsidian World of Darkness horror RPG (pretty much guaranteed to be a spiritual sequel to Vampire: Bloodlines, right?) and favor of….what turned out to be nothing.

Still, Obsidian have survived and even thrived after some tough years, and turned to Kickstarter to create an old-school game. Who knows if things would have turned out so well if they had jumped on this planned White Wolf project.

• Ghoulie says:

Yeah, I was saddened to hear that myself.
      At the time they were in discussion to make that game they also had Brian Mitsoda working for them, who was the lead writer of Bloodlines.
      An equally interesting idea is that they were developing a WoD game, but that it wasn’t from the Vampire line. It Could have been Changeling, Hunter or Wraith too.
      I guess we’ll never know.

I’m still holding out hope that they’ll Kickstart a game that can act as a spiritual successor to Bloodlines, but it’s a slim chance.

• malkav11 says:

IP holders sure have a history of making the bad call to cancel Obsidian RPGs in favor of other projects that turn out to be trainwrecks. I wish they’d quit it. (I didn’t know Obsidian had had a WoD RPG going, but I think it’s ironic considering that their Aliens RPG was cancelled in favor of the wretched Colonial Marines.)

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

And Microsofts “next gen” RPG for the XBox. And weirdest of all, the “gritty mature reboot of Snow White + 7 Dwarves contracted by Disney”. I think it was Sawyer or Avellone who said Brian Mitsoda was on fire and had created a great story and design overview. And then suddenly Disney felt a shiver deep in its shrivelled corporate soul and cancelled it.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Sadly Obsidian, despite making some great games, have been used almost as a “placeholder” developer in the past. It’s only recently that people have started to put more faith in them as a AAA developer. In the past they’ve had to put up with situations such as Bioware not wanting to make KOTOR 2 so it was given to Obsidian, Bethesda didn’t want to make the Fallout 3 sequel so it was given to Obsidian. Both times they were given far less resources and budget and still did a great job.
        This instance seems to be a case of, Obsidian were lined up for a project “just in case”, when the prospect of an MMO came up, given that it was 8 years ago, the dollar signs started rolling and any rational thought just went out the window.

10. Tei says:

fuck no :(

11. Sathure says:

That sucks. I got to talk to a few of the Lead Designers at CCP in Austin GDC 2009. They had a lot of really cool ideas floating around.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

I have a bunch of really cool ideas too. CCP should hire me to twiddle my thumbs while wasting money and then firing a bunch of people.

• Darth Gangrel says:

A thumb twiddling simulator, now that would be something worth investing in. Someone, please do a kickstarter and make this game a reality!

12. AdamDenton says:

Well that’s a shame, this has been on my radar for quite some time. As a gamedev layperson, I often wonder what happens to the pre-existing work on a game when development is halted dead in its tracks like this. Is there any chance the existing “build” could be offered for sale?

I think I’m vainly trying to bolster my hopes with stories like that of Sleeping Dogs, which Square Enix seemed to (quite admirably!) rescue from being consigned to the software scrapyard.

• Shuck says:

Having been through this a few times working on MMOs, the work that is done is almost inevitably trashed. That they’ve shown nothing concrete and they pulled a good number of people off the project previously, as well as how they’re talking about it now indicates they were still trying to figure out some fairly fundamental gameplay decisions. That leads me to suspect there’s really no game here, but even if it were substantially finished, there’s not much anyone else could do with it. It can’t be released as a game, obviously, and we’re not going to see any other studios buy the work-in-progress and finish it, either. The only time I’ve seen a studio pick up, complete and release a canceled MMO by another studio, the game was in beta stage – 100% content complete but with a single, game-breaking bug the original studio was unable to fix before it ran out of funds and had to shut down. (A new studio eventually bought the game, fixed the bug and released it. But they shut down not too long afterwards, having spent a good deal of resources buying and getting to work a rather outdated looking game that never made them much money…) Here a new studio would have to buy the existing code off them, license the IP, re-license any middleware CCP used, figure out what was working, what wasn’t, figure out the tools and workflow they had set up, and come up with some workable gameplay (that may or may not conflict with what’s already been done). That’s a good deal of work and expense for an engine that may or may not completely function (but which definitely lacks the documentation that a normally licensed engine would have) and some assets that a new art team will have to match tonally (and some of that work will need to be redone, as it’ll be quite dated by the time the game is finally released); the studio will either be constrained by whatever’s already been done, or they’ll have to throw out work that they’ve paid for. So in terms of time and expense, it’s not worth it for another studio to buy the work unless CCP offers it for an absolute pittance, and it’s not worth it for CCP to sell it, given the effort involved in selling it off and the large financial loss it will represent in even a best-case scenario.

• AdamDenton says:

Well, thank you sincerely Shuck for simultaneously shedding light on the handling of doomed projects such as these, as well as crushing any remaining particulate of hope I had for a resurrection of the title!

With every insight into game development I get from posts such as yours, the more I astounded I am by the complexity of the whole process, particularly with MMOs. I also find myself becoming increasingly sympathetic to the shortcomings of games such as TESO – there seem to be so many hurdles to overcome along the handling of such projects that the mere fact a workable product emerges at the end is almost miraculous. Not to mention the fact that as you point out, if the studio dawdles for too long the the game assets are in danger of becoming outdated and it’s back to the drawing board all the same.

And with that, godspeed to all you troubled MMOs out there, because it sounds like there ain’t much hope of a white knight around the corner in this business! (I’m looking at you Firefall)

• Shuck says:

Yeah, making games isn’t easy, but MMOs do have extra hurdles they had to overcome: the network tech and the limitations it imposes, designing a game around the fact that an unknown number of players are, at any given time, actively trying to break the game, the need for a huge number of assets and content (which causes most of the crazy development times and stratospheric costs), on top of which you have the fact that flagging player numbers can end the game at any time, after which you’re not coming back (unlike single player games that might take a while for sales to pick up). It’s amazing as many MMOs get released as they do, but I can tell you from experience that most of them don’t see the light of day. And people complain about MMOs being the same, but with the huge financial investment they represent, no one wants to risk it on unproven gameplay.

I suppose the one advantage of the game actually being cancelled is that there’s now the remote chance that CCP will license it out (or maybe even sell off White Wolf entirely), something that wasn’t going to happen while it was in the development limbo it seemed to have fallen into.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I would imagine that selling off a project for it to be turned around by another studio and made into a successful game would also be very bad for them (CCP in this instance) when it comes to investors and such. Questions would be asked as to why the project was cancelled and sold, the quality of the developers would be questioned, the decision making of the studio heads etc, bearing in mind that we are talking about a studio that is still operational and looking to create top tier games, rather than a studio that has closed and is selling off everything they can.

Even then look at 38 Studios and their Amaulr MMO, they were willing to sell it but could not find anyone to take it off their hands.

13. aliksy says:

I was never convinced this was going to be good. Most of the things I like about WoD don’t seem to fit well in the MMO genre, with the prescriptive play and number crunching. The idea of roleplaying with strangers isn’t very appealing, either. And if I was just going to play with friends, the source books for WoD are cheap.

14. Lemming says:

I’m guessing Dust 514 and Valkyrie are to blame for this. I was looking forward to a bit of a WoD renaissance. I’m still holding out for InExile to announce they are suddenly doing a Torment-style Wrath: The Oblivion cRPG.

15. Syphus says:

Like this should really surprise anyone. Since 2006 its been “in development” and that video is the most we’ve seen. Not only that but Walking in Stations (or walking in a room) was also a giant failure. The worst part about this is the basically destroyed White Wolf in the process like a mini-EA.

16. FireStorm1010 says:

This really sucks.:(
    I was really counting on this. I do think tought thats this decision was just an economical necesity. Doesnt seem like Eve online is growing anymore atm, maybe even a light drop on users during weekend evenings.

Again sucha apity. But thats life. Dreaming is nice but you need a lot fo money to develop mmorpgs.

17. Didden says:

What a shock… oh no… wait… it really isn’t.

18. Phasma Felis says:

For this they demolished White Wolf Games? Fuck CCP forever.

19. Obc says:

So why not take all the assets they have already created and make a single player RPG or something else out of them? If they already invested so much time and money in this project, atleast salvage what you can to make something more attainable with the IP besides a MMO.

Why does it have to be either a MMO or nothing at all?

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

Well, art assets might be able to transfer over directly, but many other things do not. They have probably plowed a lot of money into creating an MMO engine suitable for storytelling – serverside and client side. That would have to be thrown away in favor of something more suitable to a single player game. Add the cost of writing a good story and implementing it….

They cancelled the MMO because they can’t afford to continue developing it. Doing a quality single player game would be a new risk and financial drain.

• BananaMan3000 says:

It probably has nowhere near a full games worth of completed art unfortunately. Judging from what we were shown the majority of it was still left to do (no characters, no UI, no vfx, no audio, only one world location shown) and it wouldn’t have made sense to create that much art with the game still needing fundamental questions answered. It may also not be in a format/setup that isn’t easily portable to other engines – shaders/materials might have to be remade even if the textures are done, the animation/rigging system for characters/moving things is likely different than other engines etc.

Also actually building the game logic and scripting the quests/missions/making some game to actually play is a huge huge undertaking. UI is another enormous thing. I just finished a AAA game in the last month or so and I would estimate the percentage of staff that are artists at about 15-25%.

Really sad to see this go though, I am an Eve player and have several colleagues that have worked for CCP. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

• Syphus says:

Which begs the question, “What have they been doing for 8+ years?”

• Shuck says:

The problem is that they were designing and building an MMO (and tools for making an MMO), not a single player game. And not just an MMO, but an MMO that focused primarily on drama through player interactions. So most of their work would be thrown out, and what would be left would be largely art assets that wouldn’t look very good in a modern RPG and a smattering of content that might transfer over to a single-player game, but would probably feel very MMO-like in the worst way. Even if they could reuse a lot of assets and content, it would still require making a new engine, porting assets and content over, making single-player content, etc., which adds up to another couple years and eight-figures in development costs. Add marketing costs on top of that, and you’re looking at the better part of a AAA game budget for a game that likely wouldn’t even make that money back, much less recoup the money they invested in the MMO.

20. Starayo says:

Noooooooooooooo…. I’ve just woken up and my day’s already ruined… :(

21. solosnake says:

Could you elaborate on “the company lost $21.3 million last year.” please. I love Eve Online and would hate to think this company, for all its stupidity over the years (barbies in space, greed is good etc) was at risk. Or at least cite / link your source please ;)

22. DatonKallandor says:

So buying the whole World of Darkness Owner was totally worth it huh guys? CCP, a fool and his money writ large.

23. hilltop says:

Vampire: the Masquerade – Redemption was one of my seminal gaming experiences. The single player may have been nothing remarkable but the multiplayer, player driven “Storyteller” curated experience was something that stretched my imagination.

I had had high hopes for Bloodlines since it was announced and – although flawed – it remains one of the greatest games I have played.

The Vampire: the Masquerade universe was something I became immersed in and it was all because of the games. I purchased the books, tried out pen and paper tabletop roleplaying, the lot.

Although it never really seemed like this MMO was going to achieve the things they were articulated, this remains deeply disappointing.

24. Shodex says:

I’m glad honestly, WoD seemed interesting but it was out of place. Trying new things is often good, but you don’t always have to do new things. CCP has EVE, they’re doing a ton of things with EVE, it always seemed weird that they were bothering with making another player run, sandbox MMO.

I don’t think any company like CCP should be working on more than one MMO at a time, they’re a commitment. For the players, and in turn they should be a commitment for the developers to focus on said MMO and continue to expand it. Not try and pump out alternatives to their own product.

25. Cpt.Average says:

It’s sad this won’t be coming out – I’m not a huge fan of MMO’s or the pen & paper RPG’s but I would have been very curious to see this game released. Hard-edged RPG’s with real character options like this one promised would have definitely peaked my interest.

26. Premium User Badge Ninja Dodo says:

There needs to be a digital museum of cancelled games.

Devs and publishers could submit material they no longer plan to pursue and players could finally get to see all those things that never were, and ideally play them in some kind of rough unfinished state. It would also be a way for devs to at least have something to show for all the years wasted on projects killed half-way through production, often for no good reason.

And if a game is actually cancelled for a good reason it might be something the industry as a whole could learn from instead of collectively repeating the same mistakes. Yet we only seem to do public post-mortems on things that ship.

• staberas says:

Yep remember Project offset? It was GORGEOUS at that time! they were bought out by Intel and 2 years later were laid off ….

27. jtraveller says:

It was no viable, they jumped into the MMO wagon decades -at least a good one and a half- before the technology actually allows for something of that scope.

28. 2helix4u says:

This was the only MMO I was looking forward to. Sadface.

29. Iskariot says:

I have considered this a doomed project right from the beginning and have said so here and on other sites many times.
    I am a huge fan of the White Wolf vampire world and I have played the best vampire game ever made, Bloodlines, at least a dozen times from beginning to end, but never did I desire an MMO vampire game. To me the mechanics of an MMO are hostile to what a good vampire game must offer. I will not go into detail again as I have done so many times before.

What I really desire is a sequel to Bloodlines on a grander scale. I think a good vampire action /rpg deserves a large open world comparable to GTA IV’s Liberty City, or GTA V’s Los Santos. It should feature a day/night cycle, which is not possible in an MMO game, but can be easily implemented in a sp game. It should feature a simulated living and breathing npc population instead of the rather static npc in the original Bloodlines. It should support customization/mods, because that is the lifeblood of such a game.

If only Rockstar would reassemble the old Troika team and give them their intricately detailed open city worlds to use for a vampire action/rpg.

It really is hard to believe that in this time in which vampire mythology has been immensely popular for many, many decades no big game developer has tried to create a blockbuster vampire action/ rpg in the vein of Bloodlines. They could easily avoid the mistakes that somewhat marginalized Bloodlines and open it up to a much wider audience. I strongly believe a game like this could be at least as big and successful as for example Oblivion or Skyrim.