TESO Superstore: The Elder Scrolls Online’s Marketplace

By Adam Smith on April 14th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

There is no hammer time in The Elder Scrolls Online, unless you count the mashing of monster-skulls with war-mallets. If you want to sell your ill-gotten gains though, you’ll notice that there’s no auction house in Tamriel. To trade goods and equipment, players have to work within guild stores, although exchanges can now operate through a newly opened fan-created Marketplace. I quite like the idea of the guild stores, which allow members to barter with one another. Theoretically, they will prevent destabilisation of the economy by creating pockets of value and could also lead to guilds with specialised commercial outlooks. More details on the marketplace under the counter, below.

I like any feature that uses the word ‘fishy’ in its rules and policies:

1. Don’t try to scam people – you’re be banned on the forums permanently and reported in-game
2. Don’t create fake auctions
3. Try to be as descriptive as you can in your auctions, users have the right to report you if they find your activities fishy.
4. Behave, even when you bargain.
5. The trades will have as currency ONLY IN-GAME GOLD. Any other type of currency used (including Elite Gold), will get your thread insta-deleted. Abusing this will get you a ban.

The Marketplace isn’t a flashy mall, all surface and little substance with gangs of Nords hanging around the foodcourt. TESO-Mart is a humble affair, a series of stalls set up on TESO Elite’s forums. At the moment, someone is looking to buy oats. As many oats as possible.

Brendan’s impressions didn’t make TESO seem like an appealing destination, Marketplace or not, but for those who are making a home away from home in this latest interpretation of Tamriel, this may be a welcome addition. There’s something awkward about a shop with no customers – it is robbed not of its produce but of its purpose – but if the Marketplace is bustling, it’s a place to make connections as well as deals, a place for goods and gossip.

Of course, at the moment, it’s mostly oats and refined materials. Full details are here.

Via VG 24/7.

, , .

1. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I wonder if that Khajiit’s pants came with a hole for the tail or if he had to make it himself.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

WTB: Pants with butt hole (tail hole?)! Whisper me deals.

• Nevard says:

Maybe they just buy pants designed for other purposes and wear them backwards

• Shodex says:

I sure felt stupid when I accidentally bought a pair of Khajiit pants without noticing.

2. BobbyDylan says:

Yawn……

Is it F2P yet?

• secuda says:

Not yet, go back to sleep.

• Danarchist says:

Considering how generally crowded every public dungeon is I imagine it will be quite some time. Then again once the free 30 days is up there is usually a sizable migration away from any MMO, we’ll see what happens. As it sits I think it’s about as dead as pc gaming….

3. Neurotic says:

Just like the good old days of EverQuest, before TB in PoK.

4. Lemming says:

Can’t wait to see the spin on this from the TESO Defence League™

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Utterly off-topic, but how did you get superscript? :) You are like a magical wizard.

• RianXD says:

Copy and paste maybe…i dunno tho, they don’t call me a wizard™.

• teije says:

I thought he was more like one of that other kind of wizard. You know, the unmagical ones.

• Berzee says:

Some wizards, I have heard it said, have special powers.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

@teije OH HO HO snarky pants. Well.
          Unmagical Wizard 1: Windows Install Wizard
          Unmagical Wizard 2: Pinball Wizard
          Unmagical Wizard 3: Wizard, the german speed metal band
          Extremely Unmagical Wizard 4: The SHARP Wizard, which was a crap PDA from the 90′s.
          Unmagical Wizard 5: Thierry W’Zard, a french stamp collector from Calais who I just invented.

Thank you, wikipedia page inexlicably dedicated to everything called WIZARD

• Lemming says:

Slanderous! *wiggles fingers menacingly*

• Sakkura says:

Make sure NumLock is on, hold Alt and type 0153 on the NumPad.

• Lemming says:

Windows alt codes! They work!

5. Berzee says:

I could pretend like I reject this approach and long for the good old ways of standing in a heavily-trafficked lag-ridden subway dungeon shouting WTB WTB WTB on local chat (because local chat is the only chat)…

…but that would be pretending I haven’t spent 15 years disdaining *all* forms of trading in MMOs because I would rather trundle along on my own, swapping nothing but jokes, regardless of how negatively it impacts my economic and combat effectiveness. =T (Plus I was always able to subsist fairly well on the cast-off scraps of the inventory of my brother, who tends to play these games as a sort of wheedling, calculating, eternally persistent merchant king).

6. Stromko says:

It’s sad to think that a proper new Elder Scrolls game is delayed by even a few weeks (more likely months, years if this MMO is ‘successful’) for the sake of this joyless WoW clone.

• hawken.grey says:

Strange comment. I’m a big single player Elder Scrolls fan, and I love the new game. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but it definitely has the heart of the old elder scrolls game in it. It feels to me like a slightly less pretty Skyrim with better quests (yes, better… bizarre!) and other people running around in the world, which to me was always the downside of the single player games: beautiful, but lonely. I’ve played WoW in the past and it doesn’t feel like a WoW clone at all. My only real gripe is the limited ability bar. There are tons of skills, but I find the weapon swapping thing a bit clunky. Maybe it will improve with time.

• Shodex says:

Bethesda themselves aren’t developing ESO, only publishing. We’ve seen this trick before. Bethesda lets another developer make a spin-off game to cover their tracks as Bethesda works on their next title. Fallout: New Vegas didn’t delay Skyrim, ESO won’t delay Fallout 4 or TES V.

Sadly however instead of getting an Obsidian-made Elder Scrolls: New Vegas we got THIS. I’d kill for an Obsidian game on the Skyrim engine, set back in Cyrodiil would be awesome. Easy to reuse assets because trees and castles, the landscape is essentially already mapped out, 4E Tamriel would lead to some interesting happenings in the Imperial heart, plus added nostalgia.

I think Bethesda did miss a chance for some real gold.

7. Joe says:

I’m guessing they (ESO) didn’t spend a lot on advertising?

• Shodex says:

There were some lengthy CGI trailers that looked like deleted scenes from the Lord of the Rings films and a few other generic game play trailers. I think they’re expecting the Elder Scrolls name to advertise itself.

Which they aren’t entirely wrong about, since the game is such a mess that if it wasn’t Elder Scrolls nobody would think twice about it.