Emotional Rescue: Child Of Light’s World Sure Is Pretty

By Graham Smith on April 15th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Child Of Light was my nickname at school. I was very skinny.

Now that John is on sabbatical, where will RPS turn when they need someone who understands emotions? Child of Light is about a young girl exploring a twinkling world of wonder and danger, and probably its story will require descriptors like “tender” and “heartfelt”. The rest of us aren’t equipped to deal with such things. Case in point: the plinky-plonky video tour of the game’s world, Lemuria, which can be found below. I’m too scared to watch it myself, but I showed it to Adam and he hasn’t stopped screaming since. He seems so confused and angry.

OK, I tried to watch the trailer, but all I saw were some indistinct shapes. It’s like the time when I was a kid and a mouse trap in our kitchen caught its target; my dad pointed to it, but I couldn’t see it. My brain is shielding me from things I’m not mature enough to understand.

Edge’s Nathan Brown brings serious insight on Twitter, however. Lemuria is also the name of those who made this bit of summertime Hawaiian funk:

This I can understand.

Child of Light is out on April 30th. We’re making Alec read poetry in the hope he’ll be ready.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tacroy says:

Interesting, I thought they were going to chicken out of the whole “character ages through the game” concept. Looks like they’re sticking with it.

• Philomelle says:

So did I. I gasped when the trailer showed Aurora looking older than she did in all other trailers so far.

I’m looking forward to this game even more now.

2. Cytrom says:

Uplay

3. altum videtur says:

I remember when our family cat caught and disemboweled a mouse and was munching on it while it was still twitching. I was 6 I think.
    I didn’t care that much to be honest. It would seem I haven’t developed any sort of emotional response to suffering until I was about 14 or so, at which point I started to be disturbed even by the FPS shootybangs I played. Kept playing all the same, just uncomfortably so.

What a fecking disgrace.

Also this game is looking really pretty.

Gap Gen says:

Our cat killed a bird then left it, and our chickens started to eat it.

Protip: chickens also love cat food. Doesn’t matter what flavour.

4. Keyrock says:

It looks utterly gorgeous, but we already knew that.

• Ross Angus says:

I’m worried they’ve kept all of the pretties to themselves. What about all the other games? Don’t they need pretties?

Rizlar says:

I dunno, the visuals are still not really doing it for me. Everything just feels a bit unfocused. Perhaps if the animations were more expressive and less (intentionally?) shonky. Or if they just bumped the tonal range up a lot, to make more striking use of dark and light. Or if the designs had a more coherent wierdness, to pull it all together. There are some cool character designs and stuff, but as a whole the visuals just feel kind of unfocused. The logo, with the main character’s silhouette, honestly does more for me than anything else.

Especially when you compare it to stuff like John Bauer’s trolls, which almost certainly informed Child of Light’s visuals:
      Or Machinarium, which is just amazing:

Possibly overstepping what one can reasonably surmise, but it feels a little like the team decided to do something quirky, indie-inspired, with a certain aesthetic and then tried to force it, rather than seeing a style develop naturally.

FriendlyFire says:

This game seems to grow prettier and smoother every time they show something. The art style is just absolutely gorgeous and unique.

I initially didn’t expect I’d buy this, but I might have to change my mind now.

6. The Random One says:

The game looks great, but I cringe every time I see the forced rhymes in poetry. Ugggh

Wowbagger says:

Does this game still have a turn based combat element or have they got rid of that? If so I may have to pass.

• Kozmik says:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep the turn based element in, as it seems its the only thing that makes it qualify as a game. Also, on the steam page and other videos it shows off the element as a key feature, so if they took that out, color me purple.