Extra Sol, Huh? Exodus of Sol Revamps SOL As New Game

By Alice O'Connor on April 15th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Engage

Cast your mind back, if you can, to the year 2012. Our young eyes (clear of cataracts) watched the skies eagerly for the next great space game, unaware that Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and so many more were soon to be announced. In that distant year, a more innocent Adam played space shooter SOL: Exodus and, finding it fun for a bit though wonky, wondered where the developers might take pew-pew spaceships next. Turns out, er, the answer is back to SOL.

What’s described as the “core development team” is now revamping and expanding SOL: Exodus, planning to release it as a new game under the sure-to-be-a-bit-confusing name Exodus of Sol.

It’ll be tarted up with improved graphics, the addition of multiple ship types to pilot, better ship physics, ship energy management, and new missions–with less of the escorting Adam grumbled about. It’s being made by folks from SOL developer Seamless Entertainment who’ve reformed under the name Bit Planet Games.

Studio director Chris Stockman told us that they plan to offer a discount to people who own Exodus of Sol, though haven’t ironed out the exact details yet.

While for some developers these changes would make a patch rather than a new release, well, something has to pay for the work. Fellow space shooter Strike Suit Zero did the same with its Director’s Cut revamp, also offering a discount to current players. Bit Planet have picked up supporting SOL too, releasing a patch earlier this month; it’s a nice gesture.

If you’re curious about the original SOL: Exodus, it’s half-price on Steam for a week, down to £2.79.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. John Connor says:

I played this game coming off of a BSG binge, I really liked it.

On a not entirely related note, Diaspora.

• BobbyDylan says:

But when is episode 2 gonna be finished?

• karthink says:

On a further unrelated note, Diaspora with home-brew head-tracking. Ace.

• vahnn says:

Oh, man, Diaspora is looking great! Don’t know how I haven’t heard of this until now.

I really love the realistic lighting with the sharp contrast between light/dark on illuminated objects on the backdrop of REAL space. None of that BS where everything is clearly visible from some magical light source while flying through zones surrounded by bright swathes of colorful nebula…

I want in.

2. Chaz says:

What ever happened to Jumpgate Evolution, Dark Prophecy (I think it was called that) and Infinity The Quest for Earth, to name but a few others?

• Ranek says:

It’s coming up to a decade now since work began on Infinity – I happened to be one of the first to find the game and it’s forums right back in 2005. To be honest I haven’t been following it as I once did for some years now, but back when I last checked in it appeared that most if not all the effort (that was visible anyway) was still going into the engine tech, and the game itself wasl dragging along slowly. I don’t have much hope of ever seeing the vision of the game we were expecting back in ’05 anymore, or even a game at all at this rate.

• darkath says:

Jumpgate was cancelled during alpha/beta test. Feedback from testers (including myself) basically showed devs there was little prospects for the game to ever be fun, unless they went back to the drawing board.

To sum up, they basically designed “wow in space”. Meaning the game was about taking quests involving killing mindless drones, upgrading your gear through a painfully linear range of upgrades/ships (no real customization involved, bigger = more expensive = better) acquired by gaining “levels”. PvP was only confined to instanced battlegrounds. Combat involved little more than clicking on a target until it died.

It’s a shame because their first space shooter mmo (which was actually the first space shooter mmo), was all about pvp, dynamic economy and skill-based dogfights. Instead of upgrading this concept (and staying true to their existing, very loyal and dedicated community), they threw it all away and made a mess.

Dark Prophecy was released as free to play, and was as fun as you can imagine a F2P space shooter to be (bogus pay 2 win economy) and plagued by the same kind of design as jumpgate, but was a tiny bit more fun.

Infinity the Quest for Earth was supposed to get a Kickstarter for a prototype/proof of concept early this year, it never happened iirc. And if it did i never heard of it and probably failed. It’s a vaporware anyway, you shouldn’t keep your hopes up for that one.

• Chaz says:

Well it’s a pity about all those, especially Jumpgate. I never played the original but a straight forward V.2 of the of it sounded like it could have been great. Shame then that they decided to throw away what obviously made the original good and go with a more generic model.

• Stardreamer says:

I’m really sore at Infinity simply for taking so long to go nowhere. 2005, man. That’s very nearly a quarter of my life wasted waiting for a blog post every other year explaining why there’s been no other movement. Everything they showed looked incredible but they’ve failed to capitalise on it. Now they’re looking at a Kickstarter but even that’s taking forever to get going so why waste any more time drooling over the possibilities when Elite itself is steaming towards release? Frankly, Infinity: Anything is vapourware until code starts hitting people’s hard-drives.

• Chaz says:

Yeah it’s a real shame. I’ve been waiting on it since whenever it was that it first reared its head too. The planetary tech still looks bloody amazing. Even if they just gave us something like Space Engine to play with, at least it would be better than nothing.

• DatonKallandor says:

I played Infinity, back when they released a multiplayer combat prototype. It was a ton of fun, newtonian dogfighting in and around hollow asteroids with proper laser cannons and missiles.

3. Caiman says:

I admit I didn’t much care for the original. I think “clunky” is a good description. The combat just never really felt good, and that killed it for me. But there was definitely something there, I hope this updated version manages to find the fun and deliver a much better experience second time around.

• Kentauroi says:

It was just too easy. I played through the first few missions back in the day and iirc I ended up shooting down around 40 fighters/bombers per mission. It just became a game of whack-a-mole where a new wave would jump in and I’d easily gun them down. Lots of space combat games do/did this but it was more fun for me when there were fewer and more challenging engagements, the more kills you get in a short period, the less satisfying they tend feel.

4. Hypnotron says:

The space simulation genre is just plagued with indie efforts that have fallen into the trap of forever improving the graphics engine and focussing on barren procedural rendering technologies ….

and never getting around to making the actual game bits that make the damn things worth playing.