Hong Kong Massacre Is Hotline Miami Meets John Woo

By Nathan Grayson on April 15th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Rated E10+ for comic mischief

Sometimes all you need is a headline.

A headline, and a death wish.

Seriously though, it really is pretty much all in the headline. The Hong Kong Massacre is a none-too-subtle marriage of Hotline Miami‘s utterly peerless top-down intensity and the aesthetic of Hong Kong action cinema ala John Woo.

What this means in practical terms is that you can navigate especially tricky situations with the aid of your trusty friends Bullet Time and Meticulously Aimed Dual-Wielding. That in mind, typical Hotline-Miami-style level design would likely be a (sloooOOOOooooOOOw [deep voiced burbling noises]) breeze, so I imagine this game will play very differently despite wearing its primary influence like a still-bloody animal pelt.

Developer Vreski is hoping to have Hong Kong Massacre out by the end of the year. Details are otherwise scant, but the game looks to be coming along quite nicely. An engine switch to Unity is likely next on the developmental docket, which might result in a rather different-looking (though hopefully similar overall) experience the next time we see it. For now, though, what do you think?

TOOLATEYOUREALREADYDEAD

, , , , .

1. Zankmam says:

That “scenario selection” screen looks cool!

2. gravity_spoon says:

Infernal Affairs anyone ?

• kwyjibo says:

Infernal Affairs isn’t like this at all. Hong Kong cinema hasn’t done gun violence well since the 90s.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Give me:

1) The opening gunfight in the teahouse featured in Hard Boiled
        2) The restaurant assassination scene in A Better Tomorrow
        3) The church assault from The Killer

Then I buy this game. (I’ll probably buy it without these but it would be nice. Like tea with digestives to dunk.)

• clumsyandshy says:

Agreed.
          And most of all the epic final hospital scene from Hard Boiled. Fire yor shotgun and everything just explodes!

• Reefpirate says:

Now we’re talking!

Mostly I noticed a distinct absence of dramatic sliding, rolling or falling over backwards while shooting… You can’t have Tequila without him sliding or falling over or rolling while shooting! None of this standing perfectly upright business!

• Danda says:

If you want that, you still can chase down a copy of Stranglehold somewhere.

Or maybe don’t bother and keep playing Max Payne 1-3.

• HadToLogin says:

Max Payne 1-2, don’t bother with 3 (you’ll be probably better off with Stranglehold)..

Unless they fixed “one hour long cinematics after every 5 goons killed” bug.

• kftrendy says:

And doves. Flocks and flocks of doves while your trench coat flutters in the wind.

Oozo says:

Beg to differ. Johnnie To still does amazingly choreographed and inventive shootouts. Granted, they are maybe a bit less violent, but I can’t say that I see that as a disadvantage. But honestly, I might be the strange person who likes “Exiled”, for example, even more than some of the Woo movies.

Malibu Stacey says:

Yep. South Korea & Indonesia appear to have taken the mantle from Hong Kong, probably due to it’s assimilation back into the greater Chinese collective.

• CMaster says:

You mean the brilliantly tense (and shot) thirller that actively avoids having gunfight scenes (almost all shooting happens off-screen)? Don’t see what that has to do with this.

3. deadly.by.design says:

If an engine switch to Unity is likely, then what are they currently using?

Part of Hotline’s beauty was its frenetic pace. Add bullet time and it will be more like a top-down Max Payne. As much as I loved the first two games in that series, I don’t know if that sounds very exciting.

4. Kyber says:

How does the dual wielding aiming work? The trailer makes it look like there is an ‘open arms’ button, dunno if that would work.

• TimorousBeastie says:

From the video it looks like it’s opening your arms, with turn speed limited so that it makes sense to use it when a target attacks from the sides/rear. Hotline’s dual wielding looks very similar actually.

5. Fumarole says:

This looks bloody fantastic.

• BobbyFizz says:

My thoughts exactly, not a bad word to say about it.

• Fenix says:

I think you just murdered Fumarole’s attempt at starting a pun thread.

• Fumarole says:

Shoot, I think you’re right.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Today I turned to my chinese friend and said, “Fook Mi, that looks good”.

• hprice says:

Today I turned to my Chinese friend and said, “Bob, have you heard about car explosion in Nigeria.” “Yeah”, he said, it was horrible. About 70 people killed apparently.” “You know Bob, we should be so grateful that we’re not living in such a terrible, violent environment”. “That’s right, H. Maybe we should play some amazingly violent computer games instead, and make incredibly lousy and witless puns about it too”. “Yeah, that would be a great giggle, wouldn’t it. “All that lovely blood and death”. “Mmm … mmm”.

Yeah whatever, another lousy ultra violent bloody game that people are up for … yay.

Ridiculous bloody world … literally.

• BobbyFizz says:

Tacticle interception fenix, it was just too uninspired to let it take

6. Cytrom says:

Uhh, thats literally just hotline miami with a different skin.
    And HM wasn’t such an ambitious or original concept to begin with, that could warrant successful copycats. Its a miracle that game got so hyped. Mostly the music sold it I guess.

• Richeh says:

Novelty isn’t everything. The music *was* great but it was also a lot of fun, and really challenged you. I went back to it recently after completing it, and it’s still great. I wouldn’t necessarily say it was unoriginal, anyway; it’s a hallmark of genius that it seems obvious in retrospect.

• deadly.by.design says:

The best [legal] way to play Hotline is in a poorly air-conditioned room. I was renting an attic apartment last summer, and I feel the environment actually heightened my game experience. A confusing drug-induced killing spree in late ’80s Miami? I felt like I was there.

Also, play L4D2 Heavy Rain or Max Payne 2 during torrential rain (hurricane Sandy worked out well), and Skyrim in the dead of winter. You people don’t know what you’re missing!

• GameCat says:

I remember playing Little Inferno in the middle of some serious winter with snow everywhere, alone in my rented room.
          Thank god this room doesn’t have fireplace, because I would just start throwing my roommate’s stuff into it to make some neat combo.

• unit 3000-21 says:

@GameCat
            Same. Played it on my visit at my grandfather’s house. It was a really harsh winter and the house is quite big and hard to heat properly. Shivering in two pairs of socks and a thick sweater in front of my netbook really fit the gameplay.

• mouton says:

Icewind Dale 1/2 in winter was also sublime.

Malibu Stacey says:

I recommend playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl (with Stalker Complete mod obviously) in the middle of winter with your heating off while it’s raining & after dark (so pretty much 3/4ths of the year if you live in Scotland like I do).

• baozi says:

That’s like saying Bioshock is Half-Life with a different skin.

To me, Hotline Miami was one of the best recent games, but one needs to play it to see where it shines. Did you? :D

It did many things right, like blending music and visuals into a highly distinctive mood, and the combination of quick deaths and fast respawns gave it incredible momentum. It’s like a hysterical fever dream.

So: superb atmosphere, superb mechanics, and a short but sweet plot with a twist that was actually relevant to the gameplay. Very condensed, too; not a lot of unnecessary elements.

Malibu Stacey says:

That’s like saying Bioshock is Half-Life with a different skin.

If you said Half-Life 2 rather than Half-Life, you wouldn’t be exactly wrong (assuming you’re talking about the original Bioshock not the newfangled one which I haven’t played).

• Phasma Felis says:

> Uhh, thats literally just hotline miami with a different skin.

That’s not true. In fact, it’s the opposite of true. It’s false, nonsensical, bullshit. Did you actually play Hotline Miami, or just hear it described to you one time?

7. dskzero says:

Well, definitely Hotline Miami might have given new air to a niche genre. Definitely looking forward to this one, as it looks just as exciting.

8. Richeh says:

I just about managed to hold on to my jism until the explosion.

That looks *lovely*.

9. altum videtur says:

Heh, they even got the music from Hotline Miami.

God damn that was one impressively put together trailer.

Edit: oh wow. They literally got the music from Hotline Miami 2, as Revin Goff (made the song in this trailer, titled Adieu) also did work for that game (Endgame, Tumours, Harlets)

cpt_freakout says:

Looks great! Just nitpicking, but that open-arms-dual-wielding mode looks a bit ridiculous to me when the character is just firing at desks. Looks awesome when there are enemies on both sides, though!

quietone says:

“TOOL ATE YOU REAL READY DEAD”?

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

“TO OLAT EYO UREALR EA DYDE AD”
      “TOOLATEYO UREALREA DYDEAD”
      “TOOLA…”
      Yours is better, I can’t do it.

• Fanbuoy says:

I read it like that as well (well, I read “Too late…”) and had to do some serious re-reading to figure out what was going on. APOSTROPHES, NATHAN!!!! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!11!

12. Fenix says:

Is your character on permashoot mode? It seems like it is and I don’t know how to feel about that.

13. billytam says:

looks pretty dumb. all the trailer shows is the same exact thing over and over, i got bored of it just watching. and how dumb was that weapon shooting both ways? almost every time the other gun was shooting a wall, lmao.

14. Stevostin says:

AND they have great music. Better than last HLM2 trailer actually. Interesting.

15. Bull0 says:

Nice start, but for the true John Woo experience it needs better music, coop mode, and diving/dodging.

Also “This headline is my last headline meets the one before that!”

blind_boy_grunt says:

Looks awesome, but killing animation is too fast maybe and idk almost always the same, it would be awesome is there will be more ragdoll and maybe if body parts will cut off and explode and blood everywhere and more enemies and a lot of them just running on character and explode and eyes and ears on the floor and they screaming for help but nobody is helping them and they just bleed to death. I like this game.

this youtube comment is probably the best thing about this(from XeSpace52). It’s like hotline miami in a couple of lines. Starts out almost reasonable and descents into madness. The grammar mistakes at the beginning indicating the barely contained excitement and then half way in just letting all control go, writing from the id. This is art.

17. Shooop says:

This looks like an inverted Hotline Miami.

HM I’m told was all about trying to solve puzzles that came in the form of thugs as quickly as possible and be rewarded with lots of red.

This looks like it’s about slowing the pace down and focusing much more on gliding around the environment. It’s like HM after a few zoloft pills.

Could be interesting.

• WHS says:

Those people are playing HM wrong. I was always most successful when I stopped thinking about what was happening and just raced through working off of pure instinct.

18. BobbleHat says:

Definitely needs a ‘leap through the air’ button.

19. buzzmong says:

Top down Max Payne, fo’sure. Just needs a diving adding.