StarCraft & Conquer: One-Man RTS Meridian Now On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on April 15th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Meridian: Super Sweet Rave Of War

Here it is: the moment of truth. Meridian: New World, the RTS that should still still be impossible, can now be played by the masses. The shiny new space-base base-race is largely the work of one man, which is the sort of information that makes my mind both boggle and Super Puzzle-Bobble All-Stars. It’s now available on Steam Early Access, so probably get on that because it looks kinda great.

It’s a traditional RTS with a focus on base-building and think-before-you-rush tactics, but a heavy focus on single-player might set it apart from its peers in at least a couple departments. A Mass-Effect-style crew system might stir the pot just a little, causing it to run over with thick, congealed globules of plot.

“Shape the world around you with every decision you make and through every dialogue with your crew. Meridian: New World offers countless options to devise your own strategy, including various equipment options for your units and special abilities for you to rely upon. Use your abilities anywhere on the battlefield and turn the tide of battle by weakening the enemy troops.”

“Alternatively take the covert approach and sabotage the enemy power supply to shut down their production. You can rely entirely on researching superior weapons or special abilities. Or you can risk building a large economy, constructing a massive army from your enormous resources. The strategy you use and how many troops you sacrifice to reach your goal will influence the attitude of your crew towards you. Are you ready to shape the history of galactic colonization?”

The Early Access alpha/beta/omega-psi-epsilon-rho-rho-rho-your-boat will unfold in four phases, each with big content updates and goodies, as well as the game’s map editor. Steam Workshop support is also in, though there’s no multiplayer just yet.

It’ll run you $14.99, which doesn’t seem too unreasonable all things considered. And I should know. I just considered all things. Speaking of, I’m off to go lie down and just sort of twitch in agonized wonderment for probably the rest of my life. But then, I also said that after I found out one guy made an entire RTS, and I was barely out for two entire months. Barely.

, .

1. whexican says:

Spoiler: THEY ARE NOT ALONE ON MERIDIAN!

RedViv says:

Curses upon your spoiling kind! I shall scare you with a crossbow when you least expect it in the loo!

Gap Gen says:

I’m thinking there should be a sub-genre of RTSs that begin with people opening up a mountain bunker. Warzone 2100, Anomaly 2, this (OK it’s a limited subgenre).

3. Steel says:

If you considered all things then perhaps you considered the fact that there isn’t going to be any multiplayer apparently

MonkeyMonster says:

That’s a very aliens dropship must say and elements of warhammer 40k with the power suit things but quite frankly given I’ve been craving a solid single player rts for billions of years since my birth I am more than happy. Plus aliens and w40k are good things to mimic!

• RogueJello says:

The walkers looked very battletech Mad Cat to me, but the soldiers looked more imperial guard if you must make a 40K comparison. And really Heinlein had much more to do with power armor than GW.

• Kaeoschassis says:

That’s “TImber Wolf” to you.
        Really though, it seems like every other game with western-style giant robots draws at least some inspiration from Battletech, and that is the ‘Mech that everyone things of.

• SillyWizard says:

So I don’t know how it’ll really hold up, but I’ve been having good fun with the Kohan games ($10 each on Steam, though I got them on sale for just a few bucks each).

It’s getting close to 15 years since the first couple of games were initially released, but there’s a lot about it that appeals. (Base-building is super simplified; your army is broken up in to squads of 6 which can be tailored to fit what you want to do.)

Anyway, it’s a pretty fun fantasy RTS, if that’s your bag.

5. Fenix says:

Looks quite nice, I really miss these kind of games. A quick glance at the steam reviews reveals people calling it the best game ever as well as people being absolutely mad and wanting their money back. I’ll interpret that as a good sign I suppose.

• LionsPhil says:

Or the Internet is mucking about.

What would have been actually useful in this article, rather than Nathan breathlessly gushing about it: how much of this promised potential is actually available right now (beyond “not multiplayer”).

• hunsnotdead says:

Its a nice looking game, and an absolutely fantastic piece of work considering it was made by a single person with a limited budget.
      Sadly it plays like a budget StarCraft clone. :( Its early access, so it could improve, but i have my doubts.

Cinek says:

I see Mad Cat! I see Mad Cat there at 0:40s!