Deus Next: Technolust Is Cyberpunk VR

By Nathan Grayson on April 15th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

“Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo,” lamented Juliet’s disembodied cyber-spine from her mechanized gelatinous vat while wistfully tearing the arms from a cleaning droid the way one might pick petals from a flower. That is what the name Technolust makes me think of. The game is not at all about that, but it is about as cyberpunk as cyberpunk gets. It’s got monolithic, neon-glistening structures, drone-eclipsed skies, and copious references to the likes of Blade Runner and Neuromancer. The twist? It’s a made-for-VR experience, and it looks mighty attractive despite its somewhat generic leanings.

The basic gist of the game? Explore an atmospheric cyberpunk world that’s Just Like In The Movies, but you know, in virtual reality. Corporations bought everything, you’re part of The Resistance, etc. I do, however, have to give Technolust props for being a virtual reality videogame in which virtual reality videogames helped bring about the fall of society. Apparently this dystopian world came about in part due to “the rise of fully immersive Virtual Reality, achieved via Neural Implants allowing users to both upgrade their minds with software and to ‘Jack-in’ to a completely virtual world.”

I’ve to say, though, that I’m pretty on board with the idea of this one – if developer Iris VR pulls it off, anyway. There will be an exploration-driven story of mystery and conspiracy, of course, but the living, breathing cyberpunk world (which already looks quite impressive) is what I’m more interested in.

“Our goal is to make everything interactive and enjoyable. Easter eggs and references pepper the world to keep the player interested. Clues are discovered and mysteries solved, guiding the player through the rich world and story. There is also a lot of emergent gameplay as a result of the environment design and interactivity. Collect movies and games to play at home, go to the arcade and experience whole other virtual worlds within the virtual world. TECHNOLUST is more than a game; it’s a living breathing place.”

Admittedly, it’s a bit too heavy on references at the moment, but the sense of place is definitely there. Technolust is currently on Kickstarter, and it’s already made more than a third of its $30,000 CAD goal.

Given that cyberpunk and VR go together like noir and a convenience store big gulp of whiskey, I’m not too surprised that this one a) exists and b) is doing well. There’s definite promise in the presentation here, though. Think you’ll back it?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Koshinator says:

Totally agree that the references are thrown in your face way too often – stuff like this should be more hidden and in the background. Other than that, the demo is quite spectacular in my DK1… can’t wait to see what it looks like in the upcoming DK2

2. staberas says:

I would back it if i had money and an OR…
    *sigh*

3. BobbyDylan says:

Getting such System Shock vibes from this.

Backed.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

I suppose someone should think about mass producing a VR device so people can play all these games. I hear you can pay $300 to make one out of lego that kind if works

5. Niko says:

Has cyberpunk turned from a somewhat grounded in reality futurological science fiction branch into an alt history genre like steampunk?

• dethtoll says:

It’s been that way since the 80s came back into fashion, so yes.

• The Random One says:

No. Alt history is about things that didn’t happen.

6. noodlecake says:

I never got the point in showing trailers with the stereoscopic thing. Are we supposed to cross our eyes to line up the images to see them in 3d?

7. dethtoll says:

Behold my techno lust.

My techno lust for Technolust.

mmmmmm

I didn’t even look at the trailer or give more than a cursory glance at the Kickstarter. I just want this. In my pants.

8. Tom Walker says:

That’s the best first sentence to an article I’ve seen for a long time.

9. Ansob says:

I would be throwing money at the screen RIGHT NOW if I were ever going to own an Occulus Rift. Sadly, I don’t plan on doing so for a while, so I won’t be able to play this. :(

10. Jigowatt says:

“In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners…”

• Maczek Wolniek says:

Glad I’m not the only one!

Even the voice is similar.

11. speedwaystar says:

“They bought our politicians. They bought our Occulus Rift…”

12. Shodex says:

Hnnnnnnnng.

13. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone else hear the ghostbusters proton pack power up sound effect in there? 0:43. My inner 5 year GB obsessive would know it anywhere.

14. Shooop says:

So the new trend is going to be the same generic games we’ve seen before not even trying to hide behind any new concepts only VR enabled.

I’m already starting to hate this new VR.

• Shodex says:

At the risk of sounding rude, I’d like to call you out. Not because I think your comment was pointlessly cynical and breaths the very negativity that keeps the gaming community from getting any sort of respect, not at all.

I call you out because I’d like you to name drop a few cyberpunk adventure games that have come out as of late, if this new one is so generic there must be some and that would very much so interest me. So please, back up your point.

15. Phasma Felis says:

Okay, is it possible for Rift games to output normal video? I see all these shots of someone playing a Rift game with the headset and their monitor is showing the same stereoscopic dealie that presumably looks amazing inside the headset. Guys, I don’t have a Rift yet, and even if I did I wouldn’t have it with me when checking RPS on my phone or my laptop or on break at work, and even if I was at my home desk I wouldn’t necessarily want to strap the thing on just to watch a video. For that matter, if I had a Rift I might sometimes want a friend to be able to tell what was going on in the game.

There needs to be a way to turn Rift video into a non-VR-display-friendly format. You’d probably want to just use one eye or the other, since rendering a third centered viewpoint would be an extra processor load. But seriously.

16. icemann says:

This game sounds and looks awesome. Makes me wish I had a Oculus Rift.