More Like Wargame: Rad Dragon

By Ben Barrett on April 17th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Yay! Explosions!

I’ll admit that I don’t often know what the hell is going on. This is a blanket statement that applies to many areas of my life – games, meals, showers – I’ve had confusion during all of them. But it’s not often that a trailer will leave me with quite the same pleasant non-understanding as finding a surprise Terry’s Chocolate Orange in my bed. The latest from the amusingly named RTS Wargame: Red Dragon managed that and, as I’ve discovered in researching this post, seems to have done the same to Graham. There’s just something about its collection of modern military hardware and explosion addiction that numbs my brain into quiet, happy appreciation. Hopefully you’ll see what I mean below.

I’ve never touched the series before but we’re less than two minutes later and I want nothing more than to jump in and push some tanks around. Which I rather suppose is a trailer’s job, so well done whoever put this one together. The sort of intrigued excitement its instilled is usually reserved for series I’ve followed for a long time or every Blizzard cinematic ever made. I’m trawling through screenshots and trailers just because they’re pretty. They don’t even really do a good job of explaining what the game is, which seems to be half way between Total War: China 1983 and Command & Conquer: Generals. The only real complaint I have is a total lack of actual dragons.

(My goodness, wouldn’t that be awesome? Like, literally the same game, only with dragons? Somebody make this. Kickstarter exists for a reason, people.)

Graham’ll be telling you Wot He Thunk in the near future, but if you’re confident of its quality you can grab it on Steam or in the mean time have a gander at the devblog.

, , .

Gap Gen says:

This is what it looks like when the CEO of Northrop Grumman orgasms.

2. Tom Walker says:

It really is pretty. The Steam page quotes a minimum requirement of an Intel HD 3000, too. That’s some impressive scaling, I tell you whut.

DarkLiberator says:

Seems pretty well optimized too. You can get the game looking like complete shit or maxed out looks great and the framerate scales accordingly.

Thurgret says:

I’m running it buttery smooth on a pretty mediocre laptop.

bills6693 says:

Oh yes. I myself run an intelHD 3000 and both the previous game (AirLand Battle) and the closed beta of this game, (not yet jumped into the open beta version) ran well.

• philbot says:

I’m glad to hear this, I’m going to be getting a laptop pretty soon, I have a decent desktop, but I’m going travelling for an extended amount of time and I want a laptop that will still run this half decently, looks like I won’t have to aim too high then.

3. MrThingy says:

Blow up all the things!!!

^___^

4. WinTurkey says:

Good game, would recommend.

5. kevmscotland says:

I’ve purchased the previous games in the series and I love it.
    I often say its the best RTS currently available on the market, and the new Naval combat in this title fills the final piece of the puzzle it was missing.

Great game, highly recommend. Easy to pick up, difficult to master.
    Basically all units for all nations are available right from the start. They organise these into ‘Decks’ like old fashioned trading cards. You can pick basic starter decks to get the basics down, but the real mastery comes from putting your own decks together to tune to a specific style or role.

For example, I have a Anti Air deck I use for MP, that comprises or primarily aircraft and anti-air units both land and sea with a few defensive units to protect those.
    My other friends can then roll armor or infantry decks and concentrate on those roles.

Thurgret says:

The ground and air is superb – better still than AirLand Battle, which was already very solid.

That said, the naval is really lacking, I feel. It just doesn’t stand up very well when compared to the depth and detail of the rest of the game.

• DarkFenix says:

That’s been exactly my impression of naval. The rest of the game has massive variety and a huge number of factions with different strengths and weaknesses; the naval combat boils it down to two factions with basically no variety at all. They really need to add a lot more unit variety and factional variety to bring the depth anywhere close to the land/air side of the game.

• DrollRemark says:

Is there any kind of resource gathering, or are you purely out with the “deck” of vehicles that you start the map with?

All is Well says:

There is a resource system of sorts, but it’s a bit abstract.
        You have a currency, “command points”, of which you have a given amount at the start of each game and with which you purchase troops of varying costs.
        After the game starts, you can gain more command points, and thus call in more units, by placing command vehicles in the zones that the maps are divided into. The more zones you control, the more points you earn.

• MartinWisse says:

With the caveat that you only have a limited number of troops to call up, as fit in your deck. Oddly enough better troops or vehicles both cost more and are available in limited numbers.

Goodtwist says:

Here’s the thing: I pre-ordered the game on Amazon and I couldn’t cancel it in time (because of lack of time :). Now I’m stuck with a not yet used key I’d like to sell (EUR 30,00).

Any recommendations what to do?

EDIT: Amazon fixed the issue for me, thankfully.

The Sombrero Kid says:

When I saw the screenshot on twitter, I though for a second that something really bad was happening somewhere in the world and was briefly terrified, before realising I’m an idiot.

8. EveryoneIsWrong says:

I wonder if I was the only one to see Red Dragon and a link to something about Graham and thought “Hannibal?”

9. Ishbane says:

Rafales.

Rafales everywhere.

10. ribby says:

This made me think… we get so many modern military shooters and plenty of fantasy games but there’s a distinct lack of nonsensical genre smashing… How about dragons v helicopters… Ships v.s various sea monsters

11. guygodbois00 says:

So Rad.

12. CookPassBabtridge says:

“Graham’ll be telling you Wot He Thunk in the near future”
    Is that in a near parallel future that is not ours, or are we talking OUR ACTUAL IMMEDIATE FUTURE? Gramham will really be thunking this for us? For realz?
    I am become squee.

13. SaitoHawkeye says:

So, will be getting a Thunking on this? I’m really curious to see what the verdict was.