Wildstar’s Customizable PVP Death Fortresses Look Brilliant

By Nathan Grayson on April 17th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Who hasn't dreamed of owning one of those?

“Warplot” may sound a bit funny (especially if you’re John and immediately think up the phrase “Warplop”), but Wildstar‘s ambitious system of customizable 40vs40 PVP battlefields is anything but. The basic idea is that you have a “warparty” that jointly owns a massive hovering deathboat (aka, a warplot), and you can deck it out with everything from traps to murderbots to turrets to something called a Chompacabra to bosses you capture while adventuring. When two warplots click together like puzzle pieces, it’s time for all out teaparty war, with countless goodies and “warcoins” going to both the winners and the losers. Wildstar might be a traditional MMO to the core, but goodness is it ever wringing the formula dry. Trailer below.

If the inherent complexity of it all didn’t already give it away, warplots are endgame-only:

“Warplots are massive 40v40 battle royales, accessible to all players once they hit level 50. Each team starts with a fortress that they can upgrade and customize with a vast assortment of modifications using special currency called War Coins. Victory is achieved by either destroying the enemies’ generators or through killing players and disabling structures. At the end, both teams are rewarded with Loot Bags, Prestige, and Elder Gems.”

On top of everything else, there are multiple roles on the battlewarfieldplot, including leaders who call the shots, jack-of-all-trades recruits, and mercenaries who can seemingly join either side of a skirmish for cash.

So basically, it’s a fight to the bittersweet end between two death fortresses, and just about anything goes. Afterward, you spend warcoins on repairs and plug in new traps/bosses/etc because it’s like they say: a warmongering sky lord’s job is never truly done.

Wildstar is currently still in beta, but it’s set to officially launch in June. Graham was enjoying it well enough when he last checked in, though he didn’t exactly assuage my fears that this is basically World of Warcraft multiplied by a million and raised to the power of purple haired bunny ladies. I suppose, though, that if you’re looking for MMO comfort food, Wildstar will likely have you belching with satisfaction (and probably indigestion) for weeks. Those of you in the beta, what do you think so far?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

No. Tell us about the Death Fortresses.

Oh, hang on! Finally! News about the Death Fortresses!

DEATH FORTRESSES!

2. Seiniyta says:

Wildstar’s questing is a lot like World of Warcraft and it has raids but I think there the comparisons somewhat end. The visuals at first sight remind you of warcraft until you play it and really notice it’s actually quite different and it’s own thing.

The thing Wildstar has going for the most is the combat system which (for me, I can totally understand that other people wouldn’t enjoy it as much) is incredibly satisfying. Especially the esper class and Stalker I enjoyed a lot and makes it simply fun doing the quests. Especially arena’s and the dungeons are amazing in Wildstar. Battlegrounds are perhaps a bit too much spell effect heavy (though they’re adding an option to tone it down) and the performance isn’t quite there.

If they can improve the preformance to a acceptable level by launch (more then GW2, which was a travesty) then I’ll be happy. I think this is one of the most solid mmo’s I’ve played since err, well um…WoW? Other mmo’s have great ideas at times but it seems they always fail along the way. The game has a stupendous amount of stuff to do. It’s pretty awesome.

Also, housing is awesome… Like…super duper awesome.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

On the combat, does it still have stationary casting? That irritated me when I played the beta, kept trying to maneuvre and activate abilities only to crash into “this ability cannot be cast while moving” repeatedly. I haven’t played the beta for a while though, so if they’ve changed that I could be tempted to retry it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some abilities will stay like that, the difference between stationary and on-the-run abilities is ( sadly for you ) part of the design decision.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Darn. I know it seems a small thing to get hung up on but it meant the combat really didn’t work for me, and seriously got in the way of me enjoying the game. Oh well. Looks like this one isn’t for me then.

• Seiniyta says:

It depends on the class. If you tried out the Esper the first spell you get is a stationary spell. However, at lvl 12′ish you get a new psi point generator spell which is a lot more mobile (but has a lot less range) making you from a classic spellcaster to almost a battlemage in a way. (though not quite). .

Most of the spells do take in account that movement is a huuuuuge part of the game however.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Heh i can understand that it gets old, you really have to dig this sort of stuff for it to work. Then again, there’s a lot of extra dynamic in there compared to other MMOs ( not all ).

Stationary stuff is a risk-reward deal, check some dungeon videos and you’ll notice how hectic and tactic it is. It’s not for everyone but it sure as hell is something!

• goettel says:

We had a massive patch last week, which has been in testing for ages. There’s a ton of changes to everything, including all the classes. In any case, those ten skill slots are meant for you to fill up with skills which work for you, plus it has about twice the talent flexibility of vanilla WoW. Experiment!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This.

It’s a shame i don’t have the time to play this kind of game anymore, and i’m incredibly bitter that i’ll have to skip it. This time around we’re looking at a WoW-like that REALLY has what it takes, on top of all the little unique touches it brings ( while never claiming to be a revolution ).

Eitherway, i’m not suggesting that an individual with little time shouldn’t play this thing, it’s merely the fact that as a former hardcore raider i can’t enjoy such a game if i can’t afford to stay at the bleeding edge. It’s a personal ( and you might say stupid ) issue of mine, but there’s still the potential for others to get addicted even with a lot of IRL businesses, especially with these warplot thingies.

3. aliksy says:

Sounds interesting, but it’s weighted down by the box+sub fee, traditional MMO framework, and fucking ‘end game only’.

• derbefrier says:

Give me a sub over F2P any day for an MMO its just a better expirience and if your going to seriously play an MMO its worth it. F2P can be good if done right but that has yet to happen in any MMO and no GW2 doesn’t count because that game was terrible.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Subs are surpassed with ONE single exception: a real quality made/maintained product with ZERO shortcuts for anyone.

If you want to earn something you earn it, otherwise you don’t get it, period, even if it’s for vanity. My server first Amani War Bear wouldn’t have had the same impact at Shattrath’s bank if others could just buy it. Yes, e-peen is important, e-peen is LIFE!!

We’ll see if they stick with that. I won’t be there, sadly, but a lot of players still need an MMO made this way and they have nowhere to run except for this.

• aliksy says:

This would be more compelling if “earning” things in most video games was more about skill than time spent.

If I see a level 1 pyromancer in Dark Souls 1 with gwyn’s armor, I’m impressed[1]. Someone who farmed for 70 hours in an MMO to get a fancy mount? No. Not impressed.

[1]Unless someone just gave it to them or they cheesed it with coop, of course.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I mentioned that because it’s the result of a pretty hectic speed run, which got it’s reward disabled as better gear rolled in. It worked like that in TBC times, same as clearing the Sunwell which was only possible for the most organized and skilled guilds ( 5% of them after a lot of nerfs ).

Grinding is off course no challenge and the less there is, the better.

And off course, thanks for your informed shower of stereotypes #2890077

• caddyB says:

There are a ton of titles, mounts and items which are only available to the best and the brightest in WoW for both PvP and PvE, a fact usually overlooked by the people who aren’t usually good enough to get them, but still want to feel superior to others by calling the game casual.

It still takes time, because nobody is born as the messiah of gaming sent by god to punish the n00bs.

On topic: While I had very little interest in this game, I like what I see about these plots. Maybe I’ll play it for the plot.

• aliksy says:

GW2 is better than any other MMO I’ve played. My unsubstantiated opinion negates yours.

• Flopper says:

GW2 is the best casual MMO out right now. Kinda sarcastic but very serious about it being the best F2P game. Still not the best MMO but in the world of F2P it is king.

Personally I’m not all about GW2 main combat mode: zergball. Works in PVP and PVE. I wish they’d design more content where you use your brain like the raids they showed in Wildstar at the PAX East presentation.

And as much fun as it is to not have to grind gear pretty much ever… It gets old after awhile when all you can do when logging in is the same WVW objectives you’ve been doing for a year and a half. No long term goal or anything. Just run around and beat other servers for… bragging rights? Who the hell cares about those. WvW is too random to really be competitive.

Which server is the best? The one with the most people on voice chat and playing together. It’s that simple. The combat system doesn’t have enough depth for any other factor to matter. Get on comms, call a target, stack up/buff, blow up target. GG

The fact that CC is on such a short cooldown with no diminishing return and most classes only have 2-3 CC breaks on 1 min CD’s is such a terrible design decision. You can literally CC break 3 times in 5 seconds then get CC’d back to back 10 more times with nothing you can do about it. They really need to go watch the Extra Credits: Counterplay video on YouTube.

• p14c3b0 says:

I still find it weird how people call MMOs that you pay a box price for “free to play”… It’s not free to me if I have to pay to play it.

• MerseyMal says:

For the most part I agree with you but with the sole exception of Rift.

• Lemming says:

There is plenty to do getting to ‘end game’. Plenty. You aren’t going to be bored getting to end game, but you’ll probably be sure glad they’ve thought of something cool to do when you get there.

4. Doganpc says:

Still love the writing direction with this game. Got into a beta weekend and OMG, that UI… it burns. Ultimately the game couldn’t shake that “more of the same” feeling for me and I already have a few other MMO like games I enjoy playing.

5. derbefrier says:

Game does look like it could be good. Now if only they would give me a beta invite…..

6. Lemming says:

I had fun with it in the free beta weekend, but I simply don’t have the time, will and money to dedicate to an MMO these days. The battle fortresses and the ‘path’ system are very large feathers in Wildstar’s cap, however.

I wish it well and all who play it SAIL IN HER FLYING GUN-LADEN BUTTRESSES.

7. goettel says:

Tried some ‘solo’ beta weekends: liked it. The graphics had me do a 180 from meh to borderline love, although I feel there’s still a certain je ne sais quoi lacking. Loved the combat, called it a ‘twitch rotation’ game, which is what it is, then dragged a buddy in with me and emerged blurry eyed on the other side of an almost ten hour MMO binge. It’s the trinity, see: it works. But as a healer, instead of reducing boss fights to “look at HP bars and don’t stand in shit”, it forces me to dodge, double-jump, race after heal targets, aim and still contribute to DPS. Without making it a shit time.

Wildstar is great because it remembers, in timely fashion, that ‘MMORPG’ includes the term GAME. I’m loving it not because of exploration, story and other bollox that has bloated up our games – although those bollox are present and correct – but because I didn’t want to stop playing.

Maybe it’ll all wear off. Maybe everything which looks so great about it will crumble into mediocrity after release – we’ve seen it before. But it seems battle-ready, eager to do its own thing, even it took a ton of stuff from other games, at lasergunpoint, and I’m pre-ordered and ready to let it ride my wallet, at least for a while.

8. Jenks says:

When I play MMORPGs I like to dig deep into the setting, explore, and be immersed in the game world. Wildstar seems to have a lot of great gameplay ideas, but a Looney Tunes MMORPG will not scratch the right itches for me to really invest in it.

• goettel says:

Looney Tunes? No: Futurama, Ren & Stimpy, even Simpsons, grab a key and drive it, all is not what it seems in the vids.

• Jenks says:

I’m a fan of those shows but don’t think I’d invest a lot of time in an MMORPG where they were the theme.

• goettel says:

That could easily be me, but I don’t really care that much about setting if the actual game is this good.

• nrvsNRG says:

its WoW on acid

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I tend towards really deep campaign backgrounds. The very thing that makes the trailers for WildStar so funny also make me uninterested in the game. Too much external humor. That, plus Holy Trinity and Evil NCSoft are enough to make this one a no-go.

Still, I am sure others will be having a blast at it….

9. The Random One says:

Let me see your warface! Ok, cool, it’s just my warfriend. We’re going to a warparty and I’m giving him a warlift. We’re won’t be warlong, we’re just going to warplop in and wardance a little. Anyway, there’s been a lot of warcrimes lately, so don’t forget to warlock. Sorry, I didn’t get your warname? Ok. I’m Warren. Nice to meet you, Philippa.

10. Sharongamer978 says:

Looks awesome!!!

11. DestroyYourEgo says:

I’ve played sooo many MMO’s… none of them has grabbed me like WildStar has. Pre-ordered first day it was available… can’t wait to play this weekend!

12. Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

> Reflex Based Combat
    > Lives in Australia
    > No Oceanic servers

Welp, that kills it for me.

13. racccoon says:

As far as game play I see Chronicles Of SpellBorn revisited in another light, whether this was done by the same team I don’t know, all I do know is the game play is just like it in many ways.

14. Alkaizzer says:

there is a new community on facebook for you guys who want to find out the latest information about Wildstar, feel free to join :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/273144919519289/

15. lumenadducere says:

I feel like there’s something about Wildstar that I’m missing. Other people seem to be really enjoying the combat, and their planned content for endgame does sound appealing, but when I tried it I just walked away with a giant feeling of “meh.” I got to level 15 or so, and the entire time I just felt that the experience was lackluster. I tried both a spellslinger and an engineer and both factions, and for whatever reason the game just didn’t hook me. The questing experience feels incredibly dull, and while the good stuff may be awaiting at endgame I really don’t feel like slugging through dozens of hours of content that isn’t appealing just go get to what’s fun.

I don’t know, to each their own. I do wish Carbine success and I hope that people have fun with the game, but it really doesn’t seem to be up my alley, at least for now. Maybe if a bunch of my IRL friends get into the game I’ll reconsider, but as it is I think I’ll be passing on it. Which is a shame and makes me feel like I’m getting old.