Chow Down On 30 Minutes Of Wolfenstein: The New Order

By Alice O'Connor on April 22nd, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Bang bang

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a curious bird, going by a recent half-hour livestream showing a hearty chunk of the first campaign chapter. Yes, BJ Blazkowicz does stab dogs in the neck in QTEs and stand behind turrets in scripted sequences, like those modern video games wot all the kids like nowadays. He can also eat dog food to regain health and collect maps and treasure, like those old video games wot were proper games and not for babies. Then there’s stuff that’s just plain fancy, like dual-wielding knives and sliding and I think “interesting” is the word I’m feeling around? The game’s interesting. I’m interested in playing it.

It’s looking pretty linear in this particular mission, with optional sneakiness to avoid raising alarms. Far Cry 3‘s story missions come to mind a little, what with the sliding and sneaking and unlockable perks, but no, that’s not the right comparison to draw. I’m enjoying seeing a new big-budget shooter and not instantly boiling it down to “Oh that looks like …” inside my head like some kind of monster whose work requires them to watch and quickly process untold thousands of trailers every year and look, as long as we fight the cynicism this engenders than we can still cling to some fragment of the bright-eyed and excitable person we once were okay?

This being the first chapter, the game’s still introducing and explaining ideas rather than parading around in its finest going-out clobber, so it’s hard to get a read on quite how the full game will look. But oh my, admire how that jacket compliments its proud elbows, and don’t those sequins really set off its many emerald eyes?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DatonKallandor says:

And yet another Wolfenstein New Order Trailer that’s not available in Germany/Austria. What a great way to spend your marketing budget, making trailers you can’t show to the largest PC market in the world.

2. Echo Black says:

Holy crap, this is looking terrible. Much, much worse than I was expecting, both visually and in terms of how it appears to play.

This looks much worse than 2009 Wolf (which ended up being OK) to me. Perks and HUD clutter popping up to highlight your new unlocks. Obviously dated graphics. QTE takedowns and counters. Linear levels with “cinematic” intermissions all the time. Tinny-sounding guns and bland action. It is like a collage of creative bankruptcy and uninspired, half-baked ideas.

• Jalan says:

For playing on hard difficulty, the AI seemed fairly stupid as well. That opening run when he was going through the trench had the opposition just kind of standing there in a bewildered state. Their reactions to grenades being tossed in their direction(s) seem a bit off as well (“Oh hey, something that’ll go BOOM and blow me to pieces, guess I’ll just stand near it and hope for the best!”).

• Flopper says:

I think the weapon sounds are really well done. They aren’t up to Battlefield 3 quality with war tapes enabled but they are still good.

Battlefield 3 is still the reigning king of realistic weapon sounds. I haven’t played a game that’s ever come close to it. Maybe BF4 but I haven’t played it.

3. Gap Gen says:

My favourite awful QTE is still Battlefield 3′s rat stabbing.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

*pictures a cutaway featuring a chubby rodent stabbing a soldier guy in the ankle*

• Gravy100 says:

I had to look that up but you’re spot on that was the shark jump of QTE’s, thank you!

• witzkawumme (wkw) says:

for those who don’t know:

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I preferred my version

• TWChristine says:

I had to watch that twice because I couldn’t believe someone actually put that into a game. I like the cheesy (haha!) addition of the middle finger at the end. I just watched it again. Wow.

• LionsPhil says:

What the hell even happens in the failure case? It’s so next-gen that I literally can’t make anything out.

Also CLEAN YOUR GODDAMN VIRTUAL LENSES OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL STUFF MICROFIBRAL CLOTHS DOWN YOUR THROAT UNTIL YOU CHOKE ON THEM, AND NO AMOUNT OF WELL-TIMED HAMMERING OF THE X BUTTON WILL STOP ME.

• TWChristine says:

Looks like you fail to stab it, it latches onto your hand, so you grab it..roll over to yell “Curse you!” at it, only to see a badguy standing above you who shoots you several times. Let go of rat, roll back over and give the rat the finger, and then cue awkward glitchy death.

• Javaa01 says:

Id say it’s less of a “curse you” and more of a case of a desperate struggle, that the russian solider dude (and even that’s giving them more character than the game normally would) then heard and then shot the player.
            The funny thing being that Mr. Murica’ dude there can usually take like five bullets to the chest in that game, and the dude only shot him twice or so, basically he could have just played dead and let the magical healing fairy get him to full health. But alas, the rules of vidya gaems tell him “You screwed up, now you get to die in a cut-scene. Oh and be sure to flip off that rat just to show how edgy you are.” leaving us with a depressed sigh and you reflecting on the choices you made that got you playing that terrible single player (which I did btw) and leave you hoping that the co-op wont suck as much (it does, i played it. and just to get it to work I had to do a bull**** workaround, but the multiplayer was ok i guess).

• Gap Gen says:

Wait, it has a co-op mode that isn’t just the multiplayer?

• DrollRemark says:

My first thought when seeing this was the godawful bomb defuse QTE they put near the end of one of the co-op missions.

Oh, and that one right at the end of the very last mission.

Man, that fucking game.

4. Keyrock says:

Color me meh.

5. Gravy100 says:

I wish the shooting looked more satisfying, its hard to say without playing it but it seemed to lack oomph but I could say that about a million FPS shooters. There’s two games I have as a personal benchmark for good shooting/feedback against amoured foes and that’s Vanquish and Binary Domain, damn they were good at that. Still interested in Wolfenstein though as I like the art style and trailers they’ve been putting out.

• BillyIII says:

First quake isn’t on that list? And doom’s super shotgun. Best weapon ever. :)

• bstard says:

Oh yes that sound. It has been perfected by the double barrel shotgun in Killing Floor though, check it out if you’re a close range weapons connoisseur.

• Gravy100 says:

I just meant shooting against amoured foes is difficult to get any sense of feedback, gibbing fleshy dudes in doom and quake with a super shotgun is brilliant definitely

• P.Funk says:

Resistance and Liberation mod for Source has amazing weapon feel.

• Cytrom says:

People may say mean stuff about Doom 3, but id software still had the mojo to nail the gunplay in that game too (minus the sound of the assault rifle).
      Apparently the talented people don’t work at id (or whoever is making this) since then… because this looks boring and generic as shit.

6. Jason Moyer says:

Hopefully the game looks totally generic in every way imaginable because it’s the introduction and not because the entire game is like this. If there isn’t some sort of ridiculous set piece where you’re taking on a mech solo in a fantastical environment in the next installment I’ll be disappointed. So far it just looks “ooh, a Call Of Duty-alike where you shoot Nazis in some grey/brown setting”.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I think we may have gone full circle now though: Its been going on for that long that calling it “CoD” has become passé. Saying Call of Duty is passé has itself become the very height of passé. I think I can say with confidence that The Game That Dare Not Speak Its Name has transcended itself and become a genre in its own right.

Wolfenstein is a not a CoD-clone. Its a CFPS.

7. Dale Winton says:

Looks like a cross between bioshock and shadow warrior. Might pre order this actually

Will enjoy murdering hundreds of Nazi’s next month

8. Furius says:

Someone needs to come up with a better method than “voice-on-radio-telling-you-what-to-do” as a way of pushing the narrative along. Especially if that voice is a terrible “Scottish” accent

• Convolvulus says:

At least it’s not Claire Forlani.

• P.Funk says:

Indeed. The moment I saw that mechanic being introduced I was like “oh no, this game is going to be Wolfenstein for babies”.

Seriously, I remember playing good old Wolfenstein 3D shareware. What did it involve? Spawning in a room with nothing, walking around killing Nazis and clearly trying to find a way out. I don’t remember being told what to do, I just remember finding my way around.

What is it with modern console shooters anyway? Why can’t anybody do anything without a Scotsman in their ear egging them on?

9. DanMan says:

“Video not available in your country”, which is the most German of them all.

10. XhomeB says:

Oh dear, they CONSTANTLY used iron sights when not dual-wielding. Does that mean the guns are inaccurate as hell when fired from the hip? Boy, I hope not…
    Looks… a bit slow paced for a Wolf game, QTEs and linear levels with cutscenes shoved down your throat don’t help. Guards conveniently face the direction Blaskowicz is not at all likely to come from, resulting in trivial stealth kills. Also, no music?
    I doesn’t look bad, but I’m getting very worried. Right now, Return to Castle Wolfenstein – made 13 years ago – seems like a much better game in every possible way.

• BillyIII says:

>linear levels
      Do you know how hard it is to navigate the level with 60 degrees FOV and a stick for the camera? Better make those levels into linear tunnels so that players don’t have to look around very often… /s

• P.Funk says:

Isn’t it ironic? Console players have on average enormous screens compared to PC Gamers, yet they suffer absurd FOV.

Incredible.

• Soylent says:

You sit much closer to a monitor than you do to a TV. That’s why the FOV needs to be greater for a monitor

• P.Funk says:

That doesn’t make any sense. FOV is not related to the screen resolution, its related to what you can see, how much of 360 degrees is being displayed in the Field of View. You sit closer to smaller monitors because they’re smaller. Bigger screens of higher resolution you sit further from.

The human field of view has nothing to do with the displayed field of view. The reasons behind narrower field of view on consoles however is very well documented, and its not about what you think it is.

• Convolvulus says:

You sit closer to monitors because you read off of them, not because they’re smaller. It’s the nature of the content that sets the optimal distance. If you watched nothing but movies on a 24″ computer monitor, you wouldn’t sit within a couple feet of it. From normal viewing range a large TV is entirely within a 60 degree FOV, so that’s a common setting for console games. When a PC game has that setting it’s disorienting because there’s a lot of real estate on each side of your normal focus area, unless you use a controller and sit farther away.

• DrollRemark says:

The human field of view has nothing to do with the displayed field of view.

It absolutely does. FOV in PC games is a near-exact extension of where the player’s head is expected to be, whilst consoles set the centre point further back (though not actually as far back as they sit). Generally, altering either one of those is incredibly disorienting.

11. Tinus says:

I would play a Wolfenstein if it was the Dark Souls of first person shooters, or something. Anything. Not this.

12. CookPassBabtridge says:

It looks like it will be a great example of This Sort of Thing, So if You Like This Sort of Thing, This is The Sort of Thing You Will Probably Like.

13. Felixader says:

Half the fun with games like these, for me as a German anyway is to spot the little and big errors in the German writings. X-P
    For example it’s not Ein (Zwei Drei) it’s Eins. X-P

That said, in sight of the whole Newspapertext that comes after that scene, i am impresed how far we have come. ^-^

14. Geebs says:

You know what, this could be really fun if only they left out the reloading. It creates a completely different flow from the old-school id shooters; and it’s not like we’re particularly worried about realism here…

15. soopytwist says:

So…does anyone know if the PC version has quicksave, a FoV slider (up to 100), SLI/Crossfire optimization, modifiable config files to tweak? You know, the usual stuff us PC gamers want but never fucking get.

16. happycakes says:

I couldn’t watch the entire thing, but I did find the motivation to sign up and comment!

Just wanted to say, what the hell? Can’t we stop beating the dead wolfenstein horse? This game looks awful. Typical brown and grey linear shooter featuring burly accented men tasked with the job of telling you exactly what to do – constantly – how will our future generations survive without authority figures in their heads telling them exactly what to do?

Also that rat battle is hilarious, I can’t wait till we have to face off with QTE’s against all manner of harmless creatures. Lest we get a bug on our shirt, get scared and alert the enemy.

17. squareking says:

Whew. Glad I can get off the Hype Train now. Pretty disappointing.

18. The Random One says:

I’m not sure the game will be good, but I’m sure it’ll be the Best Possible Wolfenstein we can have right now.

• Jason Moyer says:

The best possible Wolfenstein would be whatever Flying Wild Hog would do with the license, imo.

• Gravy100 says:

Yeah that would be incredible, I wish it were them making it..

19. green frog says:

I’m going to be the contrarian here and say this looks pretty good. I don’t really play a lot of these kind of scripted linear shooters so I still can enjoy firing one of these up every once in a while as a little empty-calorie snack.