Hover: Revolt Of Gamers Rules Over Them On Kickstarter

By Graham Smith on April 23rd, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

It better be good, or I'm going to say its revoltING *to* gamers. Yeah. Critic.

Sure, it’s pegged as a cross between Mirror’s Edge and Jet Set Radio (with the latter’s composer maybe onboard), but it’s one of the items on Hover: Revolt of Gamers‘ feature list that catches my eye. “A dynamical scenarisation without interruptions.” Oh shit! I think they mean that it’ll have random missions that pop up on the fly, but they looked at the word “procedural” and said, “No, we can go further.” Dynamical.

Sorry, I’m being a dick. It’s a cross between Mirror’s Edge and Jet Set Radio and its (almost funded) Kickstarter pitch video makes it look like it could deliver on that promise. See below.

I like that the English voiceover sometimes seems to be translating what the designers are saying and sometimes just talks for a few minutes of its own accord. Maybe their narrator has gone rogue and is adding in features the developers didn’t intend.

I love Mirror’s Edge (while recognising its flaws) and I loved Tony Hawk very specifically for the downhill time trials that the first couple of versions had. The concern I have with a game like Hover is that it feels great to go very fast, and feels very disappointing to make a mistake and end up falling off the side of a building to the ground below. Even if you don’t die, it can often mean your high-flying journey of leaps and bounds has been turned into a shapeless trudge across, *spit*, the ground. These are sometimes games where I like to giddily bound around with no particular aim, but grow quickly frustrated should I be required to fit my journeys around a structure or destination.

That’s maybe just me, though. Hover is already $32,948 towards its $38,000 goal, which suggests it’ll find its way to the finish line before its remaining 29 days disappear. I’m excited to see its cartoon megacity develop.

, .

1. YogSo says:

From the comments of the “Rise of Incarnates” article:

“There has been a lot of rising and even more falling in recent years. I wonder when we’ll get to see some hovering or floating or something totally unrelated to motion in game titles.”
    – Darth Gangrel

Well, it only took two hours and a half ;-D

• Kaeoschassis says:

gdi I just went and pointed out that exact same thing on the other comment.
      /glares

2. wilynumber13 says:

The trailer mentioned a rewind-type feature, that should ease the concern of what happens when you mess up and fall to the ground.

• bill says:

I remember playing Mirror’s Edge and wondering why it didn’t have a PoP style rewind feature. It seems like such an obvious solution for this kind of game.

I love Mirror’s Edge, I love JSRF, I love Tony Hawk / Aggressive Inline

So on almost every level this looks cool… except why do they have a poor annoying slow running animation? I keep watching it and when they’re in the air it looks great, and then when they land I think ‘why aren’t they wearing their skates??’
      Either do a proper Mirror’s Edge style first person run, or give them skates.

3. BTAxis says:

Zineth, anyone?

4. MadTinkerer says:

“Oh shit! I think they mean that it’ll have random missions that pop up on the fly, but they looked at the word “procedural” and said, “No, we can go further.” Dynamical.

Sorry, I’m being a dick.”

The distinction is that “procedure” means you’re telling the computer the rules of how to set things up correctly. Like how to make a Spelunky level that has a path from the beginning to the exit. “Dynamic” means changing or adding to something that has already been set up, like the Radiant quests in Skyrim or even just your standard random battle. The distinction is important when making these things.

The problem, of course, is that both “procedural” and “dynamic” have been hijacked by marketers who know they are cool words but don’t know what they mean, which is what Mr. Smith seems to be joking about. Apologies if explaining the terms ruined the joke.

5. Halk says:

the whole revolt against gamer oppression story thing is painfully cringey.
    gameplay > everything else though and the JSR/mirrors edge combo looks great so i’m still in.

• InternetBatman says:

That was exactly my reaction. Especially, why would I want to save consoles?

• Ich Will says:

Because you love that there are games for anyone, even those who don’t instantly see the difference between 30 and 60 fps, couldn’t care less if it’s upscaled from 720p and enjoy games even if the games are not to your individual standard?

• Boothie says:

but why would i risk imprisonment to get their shit back? that being said i have already backed this =D

• ColdSpiral says:

Absolutely cringe. I get the whole non-violence thing but it’s a plot I’d expect from a game given out with Pizza Hut kids’ meals during the ’90s.
      It’s also a bit of an old-hat approach to the idea of dystopia, especially given that you seem to be sprinting through malls and there’s a class division happening with the districts. Certainly a capitalist future, rather than a communist one.
      In which case the game needs to step away from the Orwellian dystopia of “they’re taking away the things you love” and build on the Huxleyan idea that the people are so saturated with mindless media and the accumulation of stuff that they are wilfully ignorant of the injustices that happen around them (and which support their society). Because that’s the dystopia we’re more likely to bring upon ourselves.

As you say, though, the gameplay looks kinetic and swell, which is what’s really going to matter.

6. Dances to Podcasts says:

I love the look of this. Colourful, stylish, fun. I hope the rest turns out as good. :)

7. OlliX says:

Looks like a lot of fun, definitely going to try this… but what’s up with this nonsense about saving console gaming?