THAT’S NOT TRUE, THAT’S: UNPOSSIBLE

By Nathan Grayson on April 24th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Well that score is... portentous

Unpossible is maybe the single worst videogame name I’ve ever heard. Well, as far as games without a rowdy army of colons, semicolons, dashes, slashes, and subtitles go. The game itself looks like a heck of a ride, though. The spiraling loops of a (good) 3D Sonic The Hedgehog or perhaps Audiosurf fused with Super Hexagon’s frenetic difficulty. Cinemamatron (sometimes known as a video) below.

Unpossible’s goal? To make you upset. But also occasionally happy. Like this:

“Unpossible will test your skills, your reflexes, and even your memory. It will make you smile. It will probably make you scream. You will die often and it will always be your fault. Fight to learn the obstacles…they already know how to fight you. Relentless. Thrilling. Unpossible!”

UNPOSSIBLE. KIM UNPOSSIBLE.

It’ll have multiple unlockable difficulty modes, but the most intriguing feature is a set of Spelunky-style daily levels with their own special achievements. Also, there’s a zen-like zone-out mode that developer Acceleroto recommends hanging on your wall. Games are art! Finally!

Unpossible will be out sometime this summer. It’s on Steam Greenlight for now, though. Will it get one of your precious (read: infinite) thumbs?

, .

1. The First Door says:

Oooh, that looks great! Reminds me of a level in F-Zero GX too, which is always a plus.

2. DaviDeMo says:

This is 100% clone of PROUN

what the hell!

• Tiguh says:

Just logged in to say exactly this. Not on, especially as Proun was free.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

This!

I wonder what Joost from Ronimo will say about this…

Edit:
      Ah, on Joost’s facebook, he seems pretty relaxed about it saying:
      “Ach ja, er zijn al weer meer clones van Proun uit. Deze is qua gameplay wel heel erg letterlijk een kopie, maar ook dat is niet voor het eerst.”

Translated:
      “Oh well, there are already more clones of Proun. This one is literally a copy in terms of gameplay, but that’s not a first either.”

• DrollRemark says:

Aren’t they all just extended versions of F-Zero X’s cylinder tracks?

3. Jake_R says:

Hey cool, a dark version of Joost van Dongen’s Proun!

[edit:] Rather sad that you guys didn’t link one of your (several) articles on Proun in this one, actually. [/edit]

Henke says:

Pretty sure we have this guy to thank for the title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyCi1BFATA

5. Tiax says:

So, how moral is it that this game is a copy of Proun?

• derbefrier says:

as moral as any other game that’s derivative of another i would guess(which is all of them)

• Contrafibularity says:

No, there’s a rather large difference between inspiration and game cloning. Game cloning is rightly frowned upon. If you can’t see the difference between everything being a derivative of Pong and people outright copying someone’s source code, making some slight adjustments to it and to some art, and then trying to make money off of it, that constitutes a rather egregious comprehension fail, imo.

• Muzman says:

Questionable. Unless it’s on a mobile platform, in which case it’s practically de rigeur.

In this case it seems sadder to me because the Proun guy had a bit of a rough ride on the criticism and reception front and ended up just giving it away. Plus he seemed like a cool guy. So if a tricked out, uglier version of his concept ends up winning out it’s more troubling to my mind.

• Urthman says:

I think that unless you’ve actually stolen code or assets (or maybe specific IP like characters or settings), there’s absolutely nothing wrong with making a clone of someone else’s game. There’s a whole lot of game development that is iterative rather than revolutionary, and I think it would be really bad for games to have some kind of rule saying you can’t take someone else’s game design and try to make a better version of it.

Sure you’ll have some people who just make lazy clones that add nothing to make games better, but I can’t think of a way to outlaw those without losing some potentially good or great games.

If this sucks when it comes out, we can all say, “This sucks, you should pay Proun instead,” but it might be much better than Proun. I sure prefer the aesthetics of Proun a whole lot more than this game. Check out this slow-motion “landscapes” trailer:

That said, it’s pretty lame for RPS to cover this without a link to Proun telling people that if this game looks like something they’d enjoy, there’s a similar game they could try playing right now:

• Tiberius says:

Welcome to the future! Indies have finally jumped onto the dark-and-gritty reboot bandwagon.

This isn’t the game we want. It’s the game we deserve. (http://tinyurl.com/pr6vbeq)

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I don’t know anything about the original but clones and quick cash-ins is perhaps an issue cropping up more and more through steam greenlight, early access and kickstarters. See the “Earth: Year 2066″ debacle.

6. leslaron says:

Hey sweet, I had forgotten about Proun. Wonder if I still have that install file around somewhere…

7. Bronxsta says:

Just because it’s a game on a tube track, it’s a “100% clone of PROUN”? The gameplay, visuals, entire focus is nothing alike. Proun is a level-based speedrunner with a focus on racing your ghost or others to improve your times. This is a Super Hexagon-style twitch reflex game with randomized tracks.

• Jake_R says:

Yeah, you’re right, it’s not just ripping off Proun’s tube-riding and obstacles in abstract shapes.

It’s also ripping off the randomization and ‘how long can you keep going’ thing from Super Hexagon, and Tron’s color scheme.

Which obviously makes it a totally original game!

[e] Actually not so sure about the randomization because as mentioned in the article it will “test … your memory” and you have to remember the obstacles. How random can it be? [/e]

• Jollyrogers says:

Combining different elements of different games is a core component of game design. Every game has influences and borrows mechanics. As someone noted above, Proun is a spin on the cylindrical F-Zero tracks. Being able to catch these connections depends on just how extensive your library/history of games is. (For example, Super Hexagon is not the originator of that mechanic. It comes from Asteriods or 1962′s Spacewar!)

That’s the nature of a creative industry. Writers borrow from other authors, as do film makers, as do visual artists.

Nogo says:

I don’t even get what the issue is? This game doesn’t make Proun unexist, and I assume anyone who likes Proun will be happy to have this.

So who’s getting hurt by what here?

• The Random One says:

It’s very easy to say that a game that has a couple of features from Proun and a couple of features from Super Hexagon i’s a clone. It’s remarkably harder to think up a similarly succesful concept. (Let alone execute it.)

• The First Door says:

I’m glad someone else said this as I was thinking exactly the same. Saying something is an 100% copy of Proun sort of ignores the fact that not only is racing on a tube not exclusive or original to Proun (see F-Zero, Megarace, or FTT which did it in 1994: http://youtu.be/KfvcPHNUSf0) but that this is in a different sub-genre as you say!

8. SquareWheel says:

So, it’s Proun without the smooth jazz. Hopefully it adds some unique mechanics.

9. Marblecake says:

Yeah, I gotta hop onto that bandwagon as well. Amazed that you didn’t link or mention Proun at all.
    This seems to be a blatant rip-off of a free game.

X_kot says:

Obligatory:

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

11. SuicideKing says:

Reminds me of Race the Sun mixed with Dyad. Never played Proun, though.

12. trjp says:

Unpossible?

Supposably….

ErraticGamer says:

Whether this is a clone or not, the comments are making me happy by telling me that lots of people here played and cared about Proun.

That’s good, ’cause Proun is pretty great.

jezcentral says:

I’m not sure there is any such thing as a good 3D Sonic game.

Dare_Wreck says:

Am I the only one that didn’t like Proun? After reading a glowing article about it on Ars Technica, I immediately bought it, tried it out for a little bit, and then never came back to it because I found it’s gameplay immensely boring.

Hypocee says:

You will die often and it will always be your fault.

If I were marketing a game I would never claim this. As a goal certainly, as a fact, no. That’s basically the highest praise possible about a challenge, and that means it’s for critics and consumers to decide.

(I saw a few obstacles appearing around the hidden far sides of tight curves there. Yes, technically it’s my ‘fault’ that I’m not clairvoyant.)

strangeloup says:

I think the actual worst game title in recent memory is FootLOL: Epic Fail League, which made me cringe my entire face off just by typing it.

particlese says:

O_O The horror! Someone turned Ballistics inside-out!

I…I think I like it, although I find its lack of acceleration disturbing.