Bloody Ports: BloodRayne Betrayal Rising Next Week

By Alice O'Connor on April 25th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

That's blood all right

I remember when vampires were cool, before they were ruined by girls with their soft emotions and squishy bits. Vampires should wear uncomfortable amounts of PVC, have names like Sisters of Mercy song titles, pose moodily on rooftops, and kill loads of soldiers in slow-motion. Not, I don’t know, sparkle or something? They sparkle now, don’t they? And hold hands? And we’re supposed to want to hold hands and kiss too? Gross. YOUNG PEOPLE.

In a post-The Matrix, pre-Underworld time, Terminal Reality gave us a blade-slinging, leather-clad, half-vampire Nazi-hunter in the 3D hack ‘n’ slash BloodRayne, spawning two so-so games in the early noughties then a dire movie trilogy from Uwe Boll. Something something wordplay about the undead or whatever, after a seven-year break Rayne returned to games in BloodRayne Betrayal, a 2D stabby platformer for consoles. Which is now ported to PC, arriving next Wednesday.

Betrayal was more than a mite difficult, so’s the word on the Information Superhighway, with combo-heavy combat and cruel platforming level design. Not wanting to stereotype or anything, but if you’re big into vampires in shiny leather with giant blades I suspect you probably dig that sort of challenge. It was made by WayForward, the folks behind Contra 4 on Nintendo DS and other retro shooty platformers, though Abstraction is behind this port.

Publisher Majesco’s yet to formally announce the port for whatever reason, but those Joystiq ratsuckers caught a Steam listing and this characteristically over-the-top Japanese trailer:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. BarryAllen says:

I’d love another Bloodrayne game the 3D ones were quite fun. Need more sexy red head nazi slaying vampires.

2. MadTinkerer says:

Holy cow, I actually had this dream once! Between this and Ducktales HD on the PC (something I’m still not 100% sure exists in reality even though I beat it) and Double Dragon Neon (which I don’t have yet and I probably should get), I suspect someone out there has a dream-reading machine and is “borrowing” my dreams for inspiration…

• mr.black says:

Quick, dream of world peace! Or.. no, better – of Jaffa mountains with Nutella volcanoes! One of those two things..

3. NailBombed says:

Probably the closest we’ll get to seeing a Castlemetroidclassicvania title that’s – not ACTUALLY Castlevania, but close enough. Wish that SOTN were available on Steam.

• Philomelle says:

Except it’s not a Metroidvania at all. It’s a sidescrolling brawler with some clunky controls and bad level design.

For some old-school Metroidvania-style gameplay, you’d be better of looking at Valdis Story or Strider.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Valdis story is bloody brilliant. Without exageration, the best non-castlevania metroidvania I’ve played. It’s a shame it’s kind of buggy and tries very hard to cook my cpu…

4. Smashbox says:

Hehe soft emotions.

5. SillyWizard says:

Ha! Gross indeed!

6. int says:

I am the Crimson Srayer.

7. Octuplex says:

Hang on, wasn’t this game critically panned? I seem to recall something about it having artificial difficulty and poor controls for the amount of precision platforming it required.

If so, why would they port it? Especially 3 years after the fact…

• Philomelle says:

Maybe it took them three years to figure out how to make controls not suck anymore.

• hideinlight says:

Actually the game was critically acclaimed.

Ign gave it a 9.0 which is amazing, unlike Titanfall’s 8.9

• Philomelle says:

A quick Metacritic check tells me only about a third of the websites game it positive reviews. Others gave it mostly mediocre scores, and then Destructoid slams it all the way into 2 out of 10.

• hideinlight says:

Joystick also almost gave it a perfect score. So far this seems to be the Dark souls of Metroidvania, since buzz words is in the in thing.

A game that makes Jim Sterling rage, deserves my attention.

• Philomelle says:

You mean aside of the part where it’s not a Metroidvania at all? It’s a linear 2D brawler with some really brutal platforming puzzles that are mostly that way because of meh controls. If you’re going to draw a comparison, it’s more like a badly animated Shank with weaker gameplay design and a BloodRayne license on top.

I’m not going to say it’s the worst game ever, but boy are you going to be disappointed if you expect a Metroidvania.

• Keyrock says:

No, it was not panned. It got mostly mixed or positive reviews.

8. wilynumber13 says:

I can’t say much about the game as I only ever played the first level on a friend’s system, but Jake Kaufman’s soundtrack is (as usual) wonderful and perfect for the game. He even included bonus Famitracker versions that easily compete with the best of Castlevania on the NES.

9. SominiTheCommenter says:

ブラッドレイン?
    Shouldn’t it be ブロッデライン?

10. SillyWizard says:

Hey, so, I mean.

Wouldn’t it be a bad idea to have “BloodBlobs” and other monsters (at least one of the bosses) made entirely out of blood…fighting for vampires?

I mean.

• Skabooga says:

Maybe they’re hoping to give the protagonist the vampire-equivalent of diabetes. Like, high-blood blood content.

No, that still doesn’t make sense.

11. fco says:

mmmm…… squishy bits…

12. DestroyYourEgo says:

Hm, odd… I just went through BloodRayne 1&2 on PC, and was literally just wishing I could trot through Betrayal again. Well, this is welcome news.

I’ll take any BloodRayne I can get my hands on. Except Uwe Boll’s.

13. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Vampire

Vampire Lady

14. bill says:

Never played 2, but I rather enjoyed Blood Rayne 1.
    It suffered from a lot of rough edges, and like many early 3D games it probably hasn’t aged well at all.

But it was super fun to slice your way through dozens of nazi guards in stylish fashion, flashing from one to the other and pulling off cool moves on them.

I’m sure it paled on comparison to a lot of console/recent 3rd person brawlers, but as someone who hasn’t had a chance to play many of those on PC, I thought it was one of the more fun ones.

15. edwardh says:

“before they were ruined by girls with their soft emotions and squishy bits [...]”

Ah… thanks for the reminder of why it is so hard for women to be taken seriously in the public spotlight.

• Darth Gangrel says:

But it’s okay when a woman does it, just like it’s okay for black people to make fun of niggas, because… uhhh, reasons.

• Thirith says:

Seriously? You don’t understand the difference?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Seriously, I was just joking, trying to provoke a reaction. It was a very a bad comparison I did, but I still don’t think that what Alice wrote is anything to be upset about. Even less so when it’s a female that makes fun of other females.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Oh wow, I get to block another one.

• Emeraude says:

I filed this under “failed attempt at humor” (I happen to be an expert on that subject).

I mean, it’s not as men had displayed a wide-spread epidermal rejection of Anne Rice’s take on the Vampire.
      If anything, White’s Wolf’s past success hints at quite the contrary. And we know it.

• tormos says:

You’re not very good at satire, are you?