The RPS Bargain Bucket: Scary Fuzz

By Cassandra Khaw on April 26th, 2014 at 2:30 pm.

Ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you were gobbled up, chewed on and spat back out? Yeah, it was one of those weeks for me. I’m not even really sure why. It could well be the inexorable build up to this year’s summer blockbusters and the endless nights of writing that will no doubt follow. On another note, bargain hunters should probably monitor Gamersgate for the next few days. It looks like the site is doing some awesome flash deals and whatnot. This week’s plushie comes from lemming. His buckets put mine to shame. Also, that … thing is terrifying.

Alan Wake: American Nightmare
$2.94/£1.75/€2.13
Ah, Alan Wake. You broken, brilliant beauty. To use an old adage, personal mileage will likely vary but it looks like fellow members of the press were rather fond of this standalone version of Alan Wake. Maybe, it’s the whole idea of railing against the American nightmare. Maybe, it was drugs. Maybe, it was really, really good. I can’t tell you. But you might be able to tell me because it’s going for rather cheap right now.

The Humble Weekly Sale
Pay more than the minimum of $6/£3.57/€3.34 for more games!
Oh, here’s something new but potentially exciting. Humble is now using physical goodies to entice folk to pay more than just the absolute minimum. (I’m doomed the day they start waving plushies in my face.) Anyway, this week’s sale looks like a meaty treat. We’ve got the slick-looking Dust Force, Terry Cavanagh tooth-achingly difficult VVVVVV, and Cave Story+ in the basic pay-what-you-want package. If you shell out more than six bucks, you’ll find yourself in possession of some equally fantastic games. Lone Survivor? Reus? Limbo? Cthulhu Saves the World? Your wallet’s cries of despair will not echo for nothing, bucketeers.

The Conquest Bundle
$6.03/£3.59/€4.36
It never fails to amaze me as to how Bundle Stars keeps those prices so low. In fact, it scares me a little. Are they holding fluffy pets hostage, maybe? Do they have an international gaming racket going? Is that how – er, anyhow. The Conquest Bundle is a cluttered bag of “Hey, this is pretty good!” and “I think they needed padding.” Call of Juarez is probably the crowning glory of this motley crew. However, you might find the rest of them interesting to flirt with as well. Ballpoint Universe and Lucius are both games I’d hesitate to pay full price for Fortunately, they’re both present in this hot mess of discounts.

Groupees’ Clash of the World Central Europe Bundle
$1/£0.60/€0.72
For once, I remembered to check Groupees. Their Central Europe bundle gets a thumbs up for multiple reasons. First of all, it features music from a Polish stoner/doom band which I didn’t even know this was a thing. Stoner/doom? Doesn’t that just tickle your sense of curiosity? I know mine is squirming. The games in the bundle are … decent. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is an interesting diversion. (Realm of Arkania: Blade of Destiny? Waaaay less so.) Get this one for novelty’s sake, and because it promises “theme tunes for 10 games never made.”

Blink Bundle’s Trading Cards Bundle
Pay more than $4.99/£2.97/€3.61 to get all the games
Blink Bundle’s Trading Cards Bundle features an assortment of interesting games including the heartbreaking To The Moon, the whimsical Bad Hotel and, er, Gravity Badgers. If you pay more than the minimum required, you’ll also gain access to Saturday Morning RPG, Oknytt, Skyward Collapse and that game which rather quite resembles a certain Naughty Dog game. Hmm.(P.S: Blink Bundle gets bonus points for using gifs.)

Also of note

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons – $4.20/£2.50/€3.04
Overrated or genius? You decide. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a thoughtful, beautiful game that may or may not drive you to shed a few tears.

Hitman Collection – $6.30/£3.75/€4.55
Why don’t you already own the entire Hitman collection? Hmm? Tell me. Why not? (Just kidding.) Once again, we’ve got the Hitman games available for cheap. Feel like picking up the whole set? Roll right ahead. (It makes for an excellent gift too.)

King of Dragon Pass – $2.39/£1.42/€1.73
I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that I totally forgot about the existence of the PC version of this game. Having said that, I can’t recommend it enough. The mobile variation is, I think, still one of my most beloved games ever.

Overlord: Raising Hell – $3.99/£2.37/€2.88
Like anyone born in the era of Dungeon Keeper, I have a soft spot for comically evil antagonists. The Overlord series definitely isn’t without its flaws but it’s short, fun and wicked in all the right ways.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. trjp says:

When someone says “Call of Juarez is probably the crowning glory” you know you are looking at a bucket of shit…

Seriously – that was a massive, turd of a game – the ‘stealth’ aspect is probably the worst idea I’ve ever seen!!

• Nova says:

Call of Juarez is Techland’s best game.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

That’s what he’s saying.

• El_Emmental says:

I know Nova made a funny (a good one with that) – but Dead Island, now that it’s fully patched and has a few mods (like all the games who got widespread recognition thanks to mods fixing the main issues), is an enjoyable game, especially in co-op.

I’m all for shitting over terrible games and all, but that’s just too cheap to glorify the same top 10 games that you’re 100% safe most people see as “good”, so you can lament some more over the thousand other average/mediocre/flawed games by pretending all their positive elements aren’t there.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s a toss-up between it and Gunslinger.

But honestly, the first felt more ambitious, and I think it mostly got there. The bit where you’re playing the kid and it opens right up and tells you to climb a mountain was great.

I don’t remember any horrid stealth bits, so I’ve either mentally walled that up, or it was just too boring to commit to neurons.

• PsychoWedge says:

I actually think Call of Juarez is pretty good in athmosphere, scenery, story and all that. The kinda fucked up stealth mechanics didn’t bother me that much back then.

• Zenicetus says:

Ugh, that game. It had just enough interesting atmosphere to keep me hooked and playing until the end. It’s the kind of game I would normally bounce off of, and the only thing that kept me going was that I love the Western setting. That’s such a rare thing in PC games these days, that I’ll play an objectively bad game like this just to experience it.

The newer CoJ Gunslinger game has a more polished design, and is more honest about being a dumb action game. I thought it was more fun, overall. It’s still very linear and the bullet-sponge boss battles get old after a while, but I’d still recommend it over Bound in Blood if you want to play one of these games.

Tunips says:

Except Cossacks 2 is the real gem of that collection. It’s pretty, fiddly, the battles are entertaining at any scale. I personally think it hits the right mix of arcady accessibility and serious simulation. It’s the DiRT 2 of Napoleonic wargames.

2. shimeril says:

That plushy is a bit reminiscent of Animal from The Muppets.

I really should not read the Bargain Bucket anymore. I keep buying more games. Which would be fine if I ever managed to get them played. So, Brothers is now added to the list to be played. Sigh. Thanks Cassandra – at least it’s not bankrupting me financially – just morally. All these games not getting the love they deserve.

• Lemming says:

It is a Muppet! As someone below noted, it’s Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal.

It’s not really clear in the photo, but yes what can only be described as a maw opens up across his entire body. Apologies for the pretentious bucket, it’s all I could get :)

• Cytrom says:

Brothers is a pretty short, but smartly designed and high quality game. Its not just another artsy fartsy designed-in-a-weekend indie game (which mostly get the attention..), more like a full blown AAA game concentrated into 2-4 hours, full of sweet and sour feelings. The ending is a bit cruel though.

3. CaptainFtang says:

A Fizzgig plushie? Truly the stuff of nightmares.

AngelTear says:

*hugs Cassandra for her bad week*

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

Thanks lemming. You have somehow brought back moments of Labyrinth that I had hoped remained forgotten. Congrats on being this week’s BUCKETFACE though

• Lemming says:

You’re welcome! And it’s not even the most random one I sent in!

• Kaeoschassis says:

So it IS from Labyrinth. I was so sure it was familiar.

I am not ashamed (though, possibly, afraid) to admit that it’s my absolute favourite film ever. Of all time.

• Lemming says:

It’s actually from The Dark Crystal

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I think it’s familiar because both sets of creatures for both movies were made by Jim Henson who did the muppets.

• elevown says:

You are mixing up your fantasy films :) That is fizzgig from Dark crystal – as others mentioned. It did come out at about the same time as Labyrinth though. Thats the one with David bowie.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Ah, yeah, see I had the right film. Just the wrong monster.
        Ah well I still wanna hug it <3

• TWChristine says:

Woa woa woa, Cookpassbabtridge..I’m not sure we can be friends. In fact, I think we might even have to throw down! Nobody insults the greatest example of homo-eroticism from my childhood!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I must. .. have missed that. I remember David Bowie playing with his balls?

6. 1Life0Continues says:

I’m sure it says something about my state of mind when the nose on Fizzgig looks like a penis.

On another note, there’s a 2K Collection sale over at GameFly.
    Mafia 2, SpecOps, The Darkness 2 and a fourth game.

I’ll show myself out,now.

7. therighttoarmbears says:

I nabbed Risk of Rain last night on steam for like $3.39 (US) on a whim, and found that it was enjoyable, though I only played for about half an hour (sleep being in short supply). Seems like a paltry price for a game with a lot of replayability and style, and it seems good for playing in small chunks (a requisite these days, I fear).

• Kaeoschassis says:

If I may – keep at that one. It doesn’t show all its cards at once, and it is quite capable of continuing to surprise you for a long, long time.

The King K says:

It is also very enjoyable in co-op with a friend.

8. Cytrom says:

Considering that Contracts has been released to steam for a while now, it should be part of hitman collections. It was a good entry in the series with kick ass music.

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone know if OMSI2 is on special anywhere?

10. Frank says:

I was going to ask if the Realms of Arkania remake (groupees bundle) was any good… then I saw Metacritic. Ouch, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a score that low.

• PsychoWedge says:

They’ve released ~55 patches since release and by now it’s apparently pretty playable. At least that’s what I’ve read from people who play it.

drewski says:

I think I hate bundles.

12. Leb says:

Any sales across the web for EUIV Conquest of Paradise? Indie Gala ran out last time

13. Tukuturi says:

How can a member of contemporary Western society be unaware of stoner-doom? What bucket have you been living under since the 1970s?

• Sidewinder says:

Not under a bucket, just under the plushies in the bucket.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

… probably because I was born and raised in a conservative South-East Asian community for years. I am making up for lost time today. D:

Gap Gen says:

I’m unaware of it, although I am a fan of acid croft.

• Scumbag says:

Maybe I’m old, but I’m from an era where that thinking of those two genres gelled comes out odd in my mind.

“I’m like, totally depressed man. I wanna kill myself, but I’m waaaaaay to chilled to do it right now.”

14. Moraven says:

Most of the GoG.com sale is good games. Age of Wonders: 1, 2, Shadow Magic. Introversion oldies that have been on sale hundred times. And a few other niche strat games in Nexus, Cossacks and others.

Can’t just mention Overlord and Eador!

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, was gonna get Darwinia, FINALLY, but I tried the demo just to check and turns out my laptop does -not- like it soooo yeah. Oh well. :c

15. Arglebargle says:

King of Dragon Pass is a quite interesting cultural strategy/RP game at the tribe level. The designer ran a couple of pnp campaigns during the short period that he lived in this neck of the woods, and they were quite memorable, very well done affairs. I’ve bought the dang thing three times now.

• Vesperan says:

I played King of Dragon Pass on iPad and loved it – but found it unbelievably hard. I could get my little tribe going well, but forming a bigger group and then progressing onwards was just nuts. Then I checked out a walk through and forming the bigger group was about the real beginning of the game. Demoralising.

Still, I loved re-rolling and just keeping going at it in different ways.

• DojiStar says:

Which designer did you throw down some dice with? Greg Stafford, Robin Laws?

King of Dragon Pass is an awesome game, although Glorantha is just so… weird. And I felt like once you “cracked” the events in KoDP and figured out an optimal playthrough (i.e. your tribe doesn’t perish) it lost some of the replayability.

16. Philomelle says:

I was hoping the current Game Music Bundle would be reported here, but I see it wasn’t and the next Bargain Bucket will be too late.

This one is heavily recommended because it features Transfiguration, the piano arrangement album for Journey. This is the album’s debut, after which it will supposedly go on to cost 10 dollars (the price of the whole bundle). Also featured are Yawhg, Starbound, Banner Saga, Escape Goat 2, Broken Age, Eldritch, Luftrausers and Soul Fjord. All of it is very good music.

• shimeril says:

Great recommendation – grabbed that for $10. I couldn’t get the Luftrausers music out of my head last night after a quick session on that and the Starbound snippets sounded lovely too. Thanks Philomelle.

• Philomelle says:

You’re welcome. :D

I haven’t played Luftrausers yet, but I did hear the soundtrack and found it enjoyable. As for Starbound, much of its soundtrack is on my list of sleep music. I can vouch for its effectiveness in that regard, it helped me through my chronic insomnia more than once.

• Alphadrop says:

Hah I got that Music Bundle just for the Luftrauser soundtrack, don’t even have the game but hearing that music during the trailers was awesome.

• El_Emmental says:

Holy hell, almost forgot about it !

Saw it days ago (received their email) and thought “bah, I still got time, no impulse buying”… Thanks a lot for the reminder Philomelle, you rock :)

17. Assaf says:

Thought about buying Brothers only because 420. Decided not to. Saw that the sale is off anyway.